The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pet sounds : mono or stereo ?

I bought the CD, and there are 2 versions : mono and stereo
it's funny because we are so used to stereo than mono is very hard to hear, and it was the way it was issued in 1966 though..

Re: pet sounds : mono or stereo ?

I was used to listen the 1990 remastered edition of "Pet sounds" in mono but when they have released a new edition in 2001 that have both the mono & stereo album it was a huge surprise for me. Listening to "God only knows" for the first time in stereo was a shock for me. I love this version, there are so many details in the arrangements and vocals harmonies that weren't listenable in mono. Stereo is great but I still like the mono version too. No matter, when I put the cd on my stereo, I listen to both mono and stereo !

I think the reason I never got into Pet Sounds is because the mono is so dated. It definitely needs a remaster (or maybe I should just buy the stereo version (though having the two on the same CD is kinda stupid)).

I don't get why people prefer the mono versions of albums that thrive in stereo. There are some albums that sound just as good in mono but albums like Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers just don't sound good in mono to me. I have the Hoffman DCC Gold master of Pet Sounds and I think that sounds vastly inferior to any stereo version even though audiophiles consider it the best version.

The only stereo albums that sound terrible is every CD by The Beatles. That's only because they were mastered in the advent of CD's and they are long overdue for a remaster. If you can get your hands on any of the Dr. Ebbetts releases you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better they sound. Soon enough they will make their albums digitally available and the rumor is that they will be completely remastered but until then the Ebbetts releases are far superior to any of the retail CD's. He does them in mono and stereo but I still prefer the stereo versions except for With the Beatles which does sound much better in mono.

Let's take Phil Spector productions : how will they sound in stereo ?
Considering that Spector was the "back to mono" emperor and that all his records had been made to sound great in mono, more explosive, to create the famous "wall of sound" effect, I'm not sure that stereo versions would be as great. The original works would be denatured.
What's your opinion about it ?

Hmm... I don't know. Are the standard releases that you hear on the radio in stereo or mono? I'd have to hear both and I don't have either. One of these days I'm going to get Back To Mono...I had it on an old Creative Zen that crashed on me. But, I would think it would be like Pet Sounds where going to stereo would add even more depth.

I guess my thing with mono is that it dates music and I think that's why a lot of people like it. I think that art needs to be restored now and then and it's important to do so that future generations can enjoy it. I don't agree with the camp that believes stereo is music's technicolor. Nothing is added, it just is updated and certain elements are enhanced. Just like when old movies go to DVD. Nothing is added to the original movie but it sure looks a lot better. Same with stereo music.

Personally, I always prefer to listen to music in stereo, as I tend to do most of the listening with headphones and having all of the sound coming from the same direction is then kind of boring.

From a purist point of view, the mono version is definitely the one that counts, but for me, it's the stereo version all the way.

And to Dumbangel: I have heard most famous Phil Spector productions in stereo. IMO they sound great, but surely there's less of the "wall of sound" as the "wall of sound" is a mono thing. I prefer the stereo versions of "Be My Baby" and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" to the mono ones though.

Where do you find these stereo versions of Phil Spector records ? I didn't know that they were released on CD.

I found them on the Net, although I believe they must have been released on one compilation somewhere at some stage. The Both Sides Now site may give more info: http://www.bsnpubs.com/