The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: let's talk demographics

I'm 26 and recently moved to Rockford, Illinois to start a new job. I used to live in Chicago by my home-"town" is the Midwestern United States. I went to middle and high school in Oklahoma, so I was kind of close to your neck of the woods, Scheulse.

It seems like the sun almost never sets among the AM Forum participants (thanks to the New Zealand representative). That's pretty neat!

I was born in 1969, and have lived all my life in Chicago.

That’s ok, schleuse – at least you’ve made the trip up here to see my fine province. Calgary and Edmonton are quite similar actually, in terms of size and overall look.

I haven’t been down to Chicago or Detroit or Houston, unfortunately. I have, however, driven south to Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver and Los Angeles, none of which seem to be represented here on this forum. I was in NYC last year for a few weeks (and had a layover in your town, jonmarck.)

Back to Seattle for a second – I was there in the summer of August 1991. Granted, I was nine, so I was oblivious to what was happening there, musically. But I guess my parents picked up on it; I was given “Ten” for Christmas that year.

Born 1963 in Denmark. Any more old guys need an excuse to come out of the woodworks? :-))

About discovering past glories: I've only gotten round to the Smiths 5 or 6 years ago - in the 80'es I was mostly busy catching up on Neil Young and the Doors.

Well, it seems that I can’t hide it no more… As I can see I’m not the older of the pack but I’m quite near. I was born in 1965, so now I’m 42 years-old. Said it loud! I’m old and I’m proud!

But (honestly) I think that age is not so important talking about the music addiction:
a) My favourite song is Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone” that Dylan published when I was 3 months old. And I must admit that I don’t care about it at the time. I was busy sucking my mom’s breast.
b) Experience is important. After long years of listening to music sometimes you can perfectly detect band influences (example: this Strokes guitar riff is taken from Television). But it don’t (it shouldn’t) prevent to enjoy it. In fact a good combination of well chosen influences can create some new and exciting and somehow enhance the musical experience.
c) Being born in mid60s it is supposed that my favourite music would come from the late 70s and first 80s. It was (undoubtedly) an exciting time and subject of an intense revival right now, but it’s not my favourite music period. I’ve always tried listening to music from all periods and not being confined to the latest musical fashion.
d) In fact, I’ve never felt as a part of a generation. Moreover I really don’t (and didn’t) like the 80s generation. In Spain we were trying then to run away from the sequels of the fascist regime of Franco and we embraced happily any sign of modernity without discrimination enough. We were people too worried about money, too fascinated with fashion, too willing to forget rougher times. And then we were young. Now my generation sucks, so materialist and ignorant. I’ve always preferred the previous generation (the young people of the 70s that fought the fascist dictatorship) or the posterior generation (the indie generation of the 90s).

By the way, I live in a beautiful city too, Valencia, Spain. It’s not Paris but see here

Message to all the 40 years old and more : be proud !
I hope that I will always be a music fan like you.
I have no wife and no children but when the day will come for me to make a family, I hope it won't change my love for music.

Looks like I'm tied for oldest, being born in 1963. I've lived all over the province of British Columbia, Canada, currently the Kelowna area, but soon to be (next week) the Vancouver area. I don't post much, and I try to avoid the "attack and/or defend" posts as much as possible, but I do enjoy many of the more enlightening posts I read from all of you.

I think being older gives me perspective when reading reviews and spinning a new artist's work for the first time. When I started collecting albums in the late 70's I only had 20 years of pop/rock to swim through and the history was small enough that a person (a ravenous music geek anyway) could get to know every important artist and genre in a very short time. I also got to follow the punk rock revolution, birth of hip hop, grunge, and electronica as they happened with a sense of perspective and a knowledge of the lineage they sprang from and their influences. But it's always a very pleasant surprise to hear people finding ways to keep it fresh. My CD collection stands at approximately 1600 titles and I see no reason for it not to continue to grow - bring on the fall new releases! And the posts!

Honorio, if those pictures are any indication, your city is quite nice. That L'Hemisfèric building is gorgeous.

Neil – nice to see another Canadian on here. Say, can you score me some Granville Island Maple Cream ale? They stopped shipping to Alberta. haha

Dumbangel, don't worry
Having a family didn't change a thing for me : I'm still a big music fan
And I hope my children will appreciate music too, though they may reject that one day

Anyway I'm glad everybody took part in this thread and we have an idea of the Acclaimed Music Map and History
Soon, it'll be time for statistics

Strange : no one from UK or Ireland ?

Anthony, my friends in Edmonton have been here for 2 yeras I guess (he's working for Schlumberger, an oil company, so they'll spend a few years and they'll go to some other exotic place like Brazil, Angola or... Houston)
I've got friends all over Canada, drawing an East West line from Montreal to Toronto area then to Edmonton, but I've never been further than Quebec and Montreal (I was there last april, fell in love with the city)
I only know French Canada but I found it was a pleasant country to live in (people are more relaxed and friendly than in Paris, and ther's a great musical scene)

I don't post here so much, but I've been on this sight a long time now. And I'm Swedish (just like Henrik) and I'm 42. But since I now know there are some really old geezers here, I don't hesitate to tell!

I was born in 1980 in Port Huron, Michigan, which is right across the border from Sarnia in Canada. I then ventured to Valparaiso University in northwest Indiana for my undergraduate work (graduated in 01) and then off to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City until 2004. I then returned home to Port Huron after my dad's death and stayed there until immigrating to Sydney, Australia, where I currently reside.

Sorry to put this back on top of the forum, but if there are newcomers, I invite them to tell us where they're from and when they were born
When i'm a little less busy (by november ?), I'll try to make statistics (decades of birth, places)
Unless somebody wants to do it..

Bronx, New York bred and born and have lived in York, England for the past four years now back America. The music tastes just like the sports in both countries are very different, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Who are bigger in America, while Queen is bigger in the U.K.

Born September 1967 (yep, just turned 40 ), in a small village close to Arnhem, The Netherlands.

Currently, I'm living in Freiburg, Germany.

If you are familiar with rateyourmusic.com, you can also find me there under the same nickname.

Cheers,
DrDre

Born 1977; WV, USA

Another 1963 here

I'm from Palermo, Italy

I'm new here, and just about the youngest too. I was born in 1988, and I'm from Birmingham, England (at uni in Manchester). Don't hold it against me!

great !
welcome, MightyMadMAx !
I was saying that there was nobody from UK, so here you are

Yeah, I'd noticed that myself. I would say there'll be someone here to stick up for all the British music out there, but they're not doing a bad job on their own.

Oslo, Norway, 1979

I was born in 1970, in a little village on the coast of Asturias (Spain)

I was born the same year "Pink Moon" came out and I live in Grenoble - in the French Alps.

1987 in San Jose, California. I've been visiting this site for years, but only recently decided to start contributing. Great idea for a thread btw.

Sydney Australia 1987

1969 The Netherlands

Hmm... Im from México, born in México City in 1985 now living in the unknown-lost City of Chetumal, and i hope im not the only one from a third world country in the neighborhood -fringers cross-

I know this site for years but i contribute the less possible around here, saying that, i dont get much joy arguing about music, anyway im looking foward for the next top albums/songs list, the last one i had a great time

Hello to everyone.

This is my mid-october Commercial of this thread
It seems that a lot of (relatively) new people post in the differnet threads,especially bracketology
So feel free to tell us where you come from, where you live and if you want, when you were born !
Welcome (or welcome back) to you (I'm rather new myself, being here only for 3 months)

hey moonbeam, what part of sydney are you from. i'm on the south side. sutherland shire area. and do you go to gigs or anything? i generally don't, but it wouldn't it be strange if we were at the same place at the same time...

Ballarat, Australia. D.O.B. 21/12/77

Hi everybody

Now that I have (at last) a little more time, I'm starting to work on the forum demographic data.
So everybody feel free to tell where you're from (city, state, country)and give us your date of birth
Thank you

Hmmm. Am I the oldest guy around (born 10/1/1960)? Live in Iowa, born in Florida, lived my teen years outside of Chicago.

Hi Moeboid! I'm in the northwest suburbs- North Ryde. I do work in the south though- I'm a lecturer at the University of New South Wales in Kensington and I also lecture part-time at Loftus- quite near Sutherland! I go to gigs as much as my wallet and interest will allow. I've only seen about 10 this year, though.

10 is a good number. You don't want to be a scenester/regular. They were only cool when the Replacements were singing about them.

ok, this is the mid-november issue of "let's talk demographics".
For all newcomers (or people who didn't do it yet) feel free to tell us where you're from, where you were born and everything you would like to say about yourself;
I make statistics so we have more insight of the strange all-male population of this forum

++netjade is a mid/end-twen german female. for all of those who've wondered why all the love had gone..

can you make it a little more clear ?

... never ever tired of those classic stereotypes, aren't you...?

Hmmm, somehow I don't get it either.

So far, we had no female people and nobody from Germany on this forum (well I live there, but am a Dutch citizen). So, Netjade, you are disturbing nicolas' stats heavily

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Netjade!

I think he wants you to be a little more specific concerning the age (I know, I know, sensible subject).

sensitive*

netjade is not new to this forum
In fact he (she ?)'s a fish of the dephts

But what stereotypes Netjade ?
You're being as cryptic as Captain Beefhart lyrics

Hello All!

I'm 39. "Born" 1982 when I listened to 1999 by Prince. OK maybe 1978 when I heard "I'm Not In Love" by 10CC for the first time. Maybe the Eagles Greatest Hists an da Sgt Pepper had something to do with itta.

Strongest musical experience was listening to Buzzcocks - "Singles Going Steady" at 25. Just about sometimes Stranglers and Steely Dan released their boxes. Wow.

I will never sell my sold to satan.

Fred

Just realized I never piped up here.

34 years old. Live in New Jersey, where I grew up. Male. Married. Father of 3-1/2 year-old twin girls who like to dance to Sly and the Family Stone and the Wiggles, and listen to the Beatles and Sesame Street soundtracks, just like their father.

fred, where are you from ?

nicolas,

I just added a guestmap to the main forum page!

Wewt, I'm part of the red army too. I played too much Risk, I know.

Great !
Thanks Henrik !

As Moeboid noticed, a message in the comment box is required. I don't know why and I cannot change this.

I was born in 1983.

The most specific location I feel comfortable giving is 'Greater Boston Area'.

It is december and we had a fantastic week end here in Am thanks to the 90's polls results
if anybody wants to fill this thread and tell us where he or she comes from and when he was born, feel free to do it
For the moment we have 18 people from europe, 17 from North America (what a beautiful balance)and 5 from Oceania;
The average age is 32 (the age of the creator of this site)

don't forget you can also put yourself on the guestmap

Hey, it seems like I'm the only one here from Brazil! Actually, maybe I'm the only South American here! That's quite of a both strange and interesting thing!
Well, I was born in 1985, live in a city called Goiânia, near Brazil's capital (Brasilia), and make medicine college. But I ashamelly am not a huge Brazilian music fan. Actually, I'm a fan of British rock, with some higher sympathy for the britpop era.
There's quite a few time I have some curiosity about where people here are from and which are their ages! It's good to see we are reavealing our secret identities, hehe!
Cheers!

Great Toni
You're indeed the first south American to appear on this thread
Welcome !

And a warm welcome to Netjade who is the first German AMer

Hello, I guess it is time to introduce myself.
My name is Nassim, I live in Paris, I am a 23 years old engineer and I'm impressed by the musical culture of people in this forum (and as many people around me are impressed by mine, I guess that you really have a very unusual culture).
So for my musical tastes, I'm more a 90/00's fan but I know my classics since the 60's. I really like the 60's and the beginning of the 70's but almost like nothing from 1981 to 1988.

Hi
Bienvenue, LonesomePanda
Thanks to you, France is the most represented European country with 4 registered AMers in this thread : you, Dumbangel, Olivier Moinet and myself
Ahead of Holland, Spain and Sweden (3 each)

Sorry

with March, a Durchman who put himself on the map, Holland and France tie with 4 each

I live in London but I'm from the states (NY, PA, TX currently when I'm not in London) and I'm 20.

I am from Sao Paulo-Brazil. I was born in 1986, and I am studying journalism in london for the moment !

Year of birth: 1963.
Residence: All over British Columbia, Canada, currently the metro Vancouver area
Yes, I was a teenager for the punk rock explosion, but I have affections for every stage and genre of pop music, some more than others. I have a huge CD collection, approaching 1700 titles, and I almost never download or even borrow from others. I played in bands throughout my 20s and 30s, playing everything from classic rock, singer-songwriter folk pop, and a whole lot of originals in the power pop vein.

Unlike some, my tastes haven't remained fixated on my college days. My tastes have expanded as I have gotten older. Having a brother 10 years younger has helped. He turned me on to electronica. I think you'll find as you get older and go deeper into artists' catalogues, you'll find yourself naturally moving towards your favourite artists' influences, those they have influenced, and their peers. In a nutshell, that's how I ended up with my huge music library.

Keep on rockin'

I'm French, born in 1967 in Brest and I live in Nantes.

Hey, Fernando! It's too good to see another Brazilian here! I was thinking it was a very strange thing that among 180 million people, I was the only one who new this site or at least was a frequent visitor of it!

following the other thread;

I'm 24 from near London.

Born 1987, live in Tequesta, Florida, United States of America.

I'm 23. Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA but have been living in Denver, Colorado for the past 17 years.

My music tastes have been evolving since I was about 15 when I heard Back in Black and discovered classic rock. At 18, I heard Reflection Eternal by Talib Kweli and discovered hip hop. In college at 18, I heard Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips and discovered indie rock. Since then, the obsession grows every minute. I have also been playing guitar...poorly since I was 14 and wanted to be Tom Morello.

I guess I should also add that I discovered Acclaimed Music at 23 which has been another one of those perennial moments since it has helped expose me to eve more music that somehow slipped through the cracks.

Re: Re: let's talk demographics

Hi and once again happy new year to everybody

This site is open to all music lovers from all over the world and of every generation.

I'm putting this thread on top once again.

Because we are not (only) anonymous music nerds, this thread is the opportunity to tell everybody who you are, where you're from, how old are you, etc...

You can also fill in the guestmap on top of the forum page.

just feel welcome

Hi all, new here.

Another from Sydney, Australia; another born in 1987.

Moeboid - my father grew up in the shire, and my grandfather still lives in Engadine and my uncle in Heathcoate. I live in Riverstone, though, up in the northwest, near Windsor (and the Mean Fiddler, if I dare presume you've heard of it).

SuperFurry - I was in Daylesford about a month ago. Interesting place. Small.

Any of you guys going to Big Day Out?

I'm born in 1980 in Bodø just north of the polar circle in northern Norway, but now I live in Kristiansand on the southern coast. You can see a picture from my neighborhood here, though my house isn't in the picture.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/440779851_e65aa9de32.jpg?v=0

Hey everybody,

I've lived near Pittsburgh, Pa my whole life. For those investigative types I've got a few months on Mike Kelly from above which maybe makes me the elder here.
I love music from all eras but I know I'm in the minority here in that I am partial to the 80's underground/alternative/indie music.

katesbush - funny you should mention Daylesford as my wife grew up there.

katesbush, what a monstrous city we live in. i was once silly enough to drive to windsor... it took more than 2 hours.

time to put this thread back on top

We had a wonderful time doing the forum poll, and it raised many passionate debates and conversations.
Fot those of the participants and other newcomers on this site (or also long time AMers willing to make ther coming out) who didn't do it yet, this thread is open.

Feel free to tell us who you are, where tou're from, and even (oh what a taboo) your age.

And, remember : this is not meant to investigate about people and keep a record on everyone in order to sell it to the CIA and the Jehovah Witnesses, but just to know each other a little better.

So don't hesitate (we're more than just a bunch of music nerds)

I don't think anybody used the name Andre before on this forum, so as of now I like to use my real first name instead of DrDre.

Andre

first german in the list.
born 1972 (münchen)
listening to sea wolf´s debut at the moment and blood on the floor next.

Welcome
But you're not the first German, because there's also Netjade.
Well, you're the first German male

Isn't Netjade a male ?

Not at all !

Oh it's cool ! There's a girl on the AM forum !

I'm putting this back on top
newcomers or ancient Amers who would like to introduce yourselves to the community, tell us who you are, where you're from, your birthdate, this thread is for you
I keep satistics
So feel free

wow there's such a variety of people on this board. i'm from california (los angeles)

Just browsing old threads and decided to add myself.
I'm from New Brunswick, Canada.
Born 1976.
I've been visiting this site for 5 or 6 years now, don't contribute much just enjoy checking out what others are saying.
Just finished watching Moonbeam's unveiling of the top 200 songs. Interesting. Good job Moonbeam and everyone.
Cheers.

Hi
This is the demogeographic thread update february 15th

If you want to tell us who you are, where you're from, which year you were born, how you came to know the site, what's your favorite color, if you like gladiators movies, etc.

This thread is for you

People from 18 different countries contribute to this site

so feel free

Irish, born 1980. Been checking this site out pritty much every week for several years. never really posted anything before. my bad.

Born in 1971, lived my entire life in the Chicago area.

Greg here, Columbus, OH, U.S.A.

Born in the year we found out that the Beatles split (1970)

I would have to be the youngest here now (and thus, also the least informed about music).

Born 1991 in China, now in Connecticut, USA.

What month of 1991?

As we are reaching page 2 now it is time for a let's talk demographics 2