Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Another Poll?

OK, thank you Moeboid.

But did you know that:

score = (100/x)*log(100^x/position) - 100 = (100/x)*log(10^x/position) ??!!

I agree qith you, it varies from person to person.

Why not let Moonbeam and Anthony decide? They will build the formula into their Excel lists and do the real hard work ...

Oops, too late with posting, crossed Anthony's post there ...

Well, this seems to become a long discussion. I'm fine with either decision ...

"The fact of the matter is, if lists are submitted via posting on the forum - which can be viewed by everyone - there could be a tendency for some, maybe not you, but SOME to modify their lists in accordance with the tastes of others. Like I attempted to demonstrate in my previous example, I don’t want anyone to rank album X higher in their personal list because they’ve seen it ranked high on lists which have already been posted. I’m not saying that this will necessarily happen, but I don’t want to take the chance. In short, I want the final list to be an untainted reflection of the musical tastes of this forum without any internal bias or influence."

Sorry Anthony, I hadn't understood what you meant about anonymous. Now it's much clearer. Thank you for your explanations. But I hadn't thought one second that anyone can be influenced by each others list. So I'm agree with you, it's better not to take the risk

i actually thought that 20 points for position 100 was the perfect number. if we all owned every album ever released, and ranked them 1 to some ridiculously high number, then getting a mention anywhere within the top 100 would be an achievement indeed. basically, that's what this list should be. it's just that we stop at 100 that it isn't. but i think there needs to be room under that 100th position for other albums. even if no others are to be included.

so far, my favorite formula is DrDre's where X=20. i've graphed them all and that looks the best in my eyes.

Here's a preview...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That looks awesome Moonbeam - it took me a while to realize it was seperated into years. Looks like 2004 is highly represented...

Indeed, Midaso, indeed!

Well don't worry - I'll be sure to include a bit of Prince in my lists...

ahh, separated into years. i didn't pick up on that. thanks for pointing that out. looks nice though

Moonbeam, that's true modern art. With a little fantasy, it looks like a musical skyline of ... eh for instance Chicago

That's cool as cool can be, Moonbeam!

Definitely neat-o, but sort of contrary to the "internal bias" thing that I was talking about. Hopefully everyone can keep their lists private until the poll begins. :)

On that note, when should this shiznat start? Did we agree on December, or is January better?

I think this poll will be very different than the last one - there are things that were in the top ten last time that won't be very high this time. It's a pity there's a lack of British people here - it will be interesting to see if those 'John Peel' type bands will make any impression here...

There might be a lack of Brits here but it certainly doesn't show. This devotion to Brit-pop amazes and baffles me.

In echo Anthony's question : do we start december or january ?

Personally I'd prefer january or december 15, but what are your opinions ?
I think we should decide this quickly (this week ?)

Ok I'm aking again
What would you prefer

-posting your top 100 lists (albums and/or songs)for the 1st of december

- or posting them for the 1st of january

we should decide that quickly
I would prefer january, so I'll have time to listen to more albums before the D day.
What about you ?
I propose we express our opinions quickly

Decembers fine - no trouble

December's fine with me too, but if people want to wait until January to finish their list I'm fine with that too.

1 dec works for me...the 90s list will sure be fun but it's not that time consuming....

I think the voting period should be open from Dec. 1 through Dec. 31, with the results being announced some time in January. What e-mail addresses are we sending the lists too?

sounds like a good compromise
so people who can't wait will be able to post as soon as the 1st and the others can wait a lil more

I'm with nicolas; December's a pretty hectic month, and, given the scope, I like the idea of a month-long posting window.

Oops...I meant: "I'm with Rocky Raccoon." I'm bleary this morning and hadn't noticed that nicolas was seconding Rocky.

Dec. 1 to 31 works for me. I'll post details at some point leading up to the 1st (email address, scoring scale, etc.)

No e-mailing the lists, please. It's the pop-up of an individual list that excites ME. :)

Sorry, Fred. I’ve kindly asked everyone to email their lists in an effort to maintain statistical integrity in the final results. Individual lists will be posted after the results are posted in early January.

I don't think I'll be able to post lists until January 11th or so, as I'll be on holiday. Would it be ok to collect lists until then?

I think I prefer them not being revealed here first - doesn't spoil the surprise. Otherwise,it will become pretty predictable what albums(/songs) will be high up

I was wondering about how to made those lists, am I supposed to make a list with my 100 favourites songs and albums ever or am I supposed to try to make a list of the 100 songs and albums which I would consider as the most important or influent.
I guess the 2nd solution is more relevant in a way but would just be, in a way, comforting to the list which you can already found in the website !
So for instance, can I put... let's say... Dizzee Rascal's I Luv You or Vitalic's La Rock 01 in my top 30 while there are probably lots of songs that have been more important landmarks in the history of music (well, I hope I can).

I'm purely basing my lists on feelings, not influence. I hope everyone does that, or we might as well just use the AM top 100.

OK! Individual lists later!

My top 100 will be based on feelings too.
I guess the final top 100 will be very consensual, and in a way it will help us understand what the AM list really is.
I think the most interesting will be the individual lists
So I have a suggestion : every individual list will be sent to Anthony/Neoptolemos separately and will not be posted on the forum.
Anthony and Neo make the general lists and post them. (On this we 've already agreed)
My suggestion is what do we do after that ?
Do we post the individual lists all at once ? I think it's not a good idea, because, if the game is succesful, a big post with 20 or so lists is barely readable, and what's interesting is what is inside those lists and what they say about who we are (our particular fields of expertise, our guilty or not guilty pleasures, etc..).
so i suggest Anthony and Neoptolemos should post them one after another, at regular periodicity so we have time to understand (and why not comment on) every one else's tastes, if we agree with that.
Hope i made myself clear.

So what do you think of that ?

Not that I wouldn't do it, but Moonbeam volunteered to do the rankings, not me. He just said that he's going to be away around new year so I suppose we might need someone else to do it. Any details on that Moonbeam?

I think that Nicolas's idea is very good !
Individual lists are more interessant than the final list IMO.

For me it's good if we only do the top songs in january
Sorry Neoptolemos, I thought it was you who did the songs

I didn't think we had settled on a date yet. I still would like to do the songs list, but I will be on vacation until January 11th.

When will you go away? If it's like the 1st you can compile and post the list on the first and send the individual lists to someone else to post the days after that.

I'm off on December 22nd.

Why can't we wait until january ?
In december we will already have the 90's poll and the top 100 albums
I mean if we post too many lists at once it will loose interest.
Let's wait until the end of Moonbeam's vacations, we're nor in such a hurry

How about we do it like this:

December 1st - December 31st: Submitting top 100-200 albums
January 1st - January 31st: Over the course of a week or two, publishing the accumulated list + personal lists AND submitting top 100-200 songs
February 1st - February 29th: Posting accumulated list + personal lists AND submitting top 50-200 artists
March 1st - March xxth: Publishing accumulated list of artists + personal lists.

That spreads the work/fun a little better I think.

ok, I'm in
Anthony do you agree ?

I'm happy with that for the albums and songs lists. I selfishly want to include more than 200 songs, but I can stick to that limit if need be.

I do, however, think we should hold off on the artist list until Survivor has run its course.

Yeah, that's awesome.

So, the album poll gets going in about 10 days... guess I should get crackin' on the preliminaries on my end!

1 2