Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 10

BRACKET 37

1. “Stayin’ Alive” – probably the most dated sounding song on this whole list, but when you’re talkin’ the essential disco song, that’s a good thing, as it perfectly evokes an era.
2. “That’ll Be the Day” – A naturally good song. I haven’t heard it in years but can remember most of it because of it’s perfect melody.
3. “The Twist” – a little silly, but what a fun song, we’ve got a dance theme in this bracket
4. “Relax” – Never liked it, a little repetitive and dispassionate

BRACKET 38

1. “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” – Where the blues and psychadelica meet perfectly, I think this Hendrix song lasts for me, because the improvisional nature of it allows for you to hear something new each time, while other Hendrix hits, as groundbreaking as they are, have a more straightforward structure.
2. “Waiting for the Man” – Not my fave VU, but you’re talking about a track from Nico in the top 256… it’s hard to marginalize it.
3. “I Want You Back” – Nice and cheerful
4. “Good Times” – Tough to put last just for the hook in “Rapper’s Delight” alone, but I can’t re-like this song when Sugarhill Gang used the hook to make their song timeless

BRACKET 39

Oh man, a tought bracket

1. “Thunder Road” – What a triumphant call to an album so thick with power and emotion.
2. “Heroes” – There are those gems of songs that last over 6 or so minutes but are designed in a way that they are over so quickly. Heroes is one of the well-crafted cases.
3. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” – Beautiful, just a tiny bit overdramatic and orchestrated to be able to win this bracket.
4. “House of Jealous Lovers” – This song doesn’t belong here. It’s great for this decade, but it sounds so different than the others, it’s hard to even compare.

BRACKET 40

1. “He’s a Rebel” – I’m SO glad this song barely made the cut. This was one of the first song I got on my new computer when I set up iTunes. I think where some of these oldies tunes are satisfied with a pleasant chorus and refrain, this song adds an extra layer of glorious melody where you don’t except it (I’m referring to the part that goes “He is always good to me… etc.”
2. “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” – What a groove. I was still scared as a pre-teen seeing this gangsta life glorified in the song’s video, but the mellow delivery and laid-back sound made it more palatable.
3. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – This song is like Pachlabel’s Canon, it’s just part of music. It’s hard to ever want to hear it, because it just exists as essential.
4. “Work It” – Fine use of backwards vocals, but nothing much else, good for the decade, I guess.

Bracket 37
1)The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive:Hardly the cool choice I know but I love it - always remember that classic scene at the start of SNF
2)Buddy Holly - That'll Be The Day:Definitely not my favourite Buddy Holly track but still I respect it's place in R&R history
3)Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax:This is the side of the 80s that I really don't like - doesn't do anything for me
4)Chubby Checker - The Twist:Just a bit novelty and cheesy

Bracket 38
1)Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile(Slight Return):What a kickass rock track - this and Purple Haze are the definitive Hendrix tracks for me
2)Chic - Good Times:A really heavily sampled track - and that marks a great track - love it
3)Jackson 5 - I Want You Back:A real masterpiece of a pop song,if a little cheesy with the voices
4)Velvet Underground - Waiting For The Man:The fact this is their most acclaimed song is beyond belief

Bracket 39
1)David Bowie - Heroes:I'll forgive that horror Wallflowers cover - great vocals by Bowie,it may never get old for me
2)Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water:Tire of it sometimes but such a mighty song
3)Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road:Not one of my favourite songs on that album - just OK for me
4)The Rapture - House Of Jealous Lovers:Alright by not in the same league as the others here

Bracket 40
1)Rolling Stones - Satisfaction:This HAS to win this bracket - this song is one of R&R's definitve songs - just a real turning point in rock history
2)Crystals - He's A Rebel:Great tune,I find it amusing it was written by Gene Pitney
3)Dr Dre/Snoop Doggy Dogg - Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang:I know it must be seen as a classic but I can't get into it
4)Missy Misdemeanor Elliot - Work It:I just can't understand the appeal of her or why a couple of her songs are ahead of Eminem...

Been looking forward to this my entire holiday in Portugal. I am now officially sick of Bob Sinclar, my god they play his songs often there, and have developed a strange liking into 'The Way I Are' from Timbaland. Either way, here are my brackets:

BRACKET 37
1. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977) - I like the Begees, their screamy songs in particular. This is the greatest one.
2. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) - I really don't care much for the other 3 songs, so I'm gonna stick to the ranking AM has.
3. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960) - Influental, and still everyone knows it, but is it really that good?
4. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983) - Fun song.

BRACKET 38
1. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967) - Been waiting for this.. VU has to go on to the next round, Waiting For The Man is friggin awesome.
2. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969) - The Jackson 5 have climbed to 30 since the last update, and they deserve it. This is truely timeless. No match for Reed though.
3. Chic, “Good Times” (1979) - Good times baby, good times. Not that great, but better than the JHE.
4. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968) - Another Jimi Hendrix song I just can't seem to appreciate.

BRACKET 39
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977) - Very, very tough bracket.. S&G and Bowie's best songs against an awesome Springsteen song. Bowie takes the win home though, with a song that captures me every time.
2. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975) - Gonna have to put Bruce in second, Heroes is just a tad better.
3. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970) - Can't believe I'm placing this third.. oh well.
4. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002) - Ok song, nowhere close to the heavy competition in this bracket.

BRACKET 40
1. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) - Easiest bracket in the entire bracketology I'm sure. No way any of the other songs even come remotely close to this masterpiece.
2. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) - Nowhere close.
3. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) - If words could describe how far apart the #1 and #3/#4 in this bracket are, I would say those words. Not that it's a bad song though.
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) - I stick to my point, it's fun to hear her in the club, but she just doesn't belong here.

Too fatigued this week, so comments will be minimal.

BRACKET 37
1. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) The template for the modern rock song, and it still sounds good to me – more so than most pre-beatles rock.
2. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977) Pretty good disco song (unjustly vilified genre), though I prefer Jive Talkin’ and Disco Inferno from the soundtrack.
3. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983)Trevor Horn knew how to make good pop records.
4. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960) now this is a pre-beatles track that I cannot get with at all.

BRACKET 38
1. Chic, “Good Times” (1979) The greatest disco song and an immortal bass line from the greatest disco act.
2. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969) another great bass line, and wonderful bubblegum pop.
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968) Good psychedelic song, but melody beats out guitar wankery in my world.
4. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967) ugly, ordinary song.

BRACKET 39
1. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970) Winner in a very weak bracket. The song’s really lovely, but I don’t like garfunkel’s choirboy vocals.
2. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977) I don’t like it much – would be fourth in most brackets for me, but it does work itself up into a pretty good groove by the end.
3. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975) I’ve talked about my problems with the boss’s bombastic tendencies before – don’t think I need to repeat myself.
4. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002) I don’t know it – ordinarily I’d try to give it a listen, but I’m really too played out tonight.

BRACKET 40
1. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) #1 obviously.
2. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) girl group music of a sort I don’t care for, but I’ll take it over what’s below.
3. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) just not my cuppa’
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) neither is this.

1) "Stayin' Alive" - The song that actually breathed life into disco. Unforgettable, unbelievable, understandably number one.
2) "That'll be the Day" - holds up far better after fifty years than almost any of its peers.
3) "Relax" - I like the 80s, and I guess I like this song, but more as a guilty pleasure than a legitimate song.
4) "The Twist" - good novelty.

1) "I Want You Back" - This week, I appear to like really high-pitched vocals. The best of the Motown instrumental parts and a fantastic group effort by the Five.
2) "Voodoo Chile" - What's this doing three spots behind "Relax" on the AM list? That's a crime! The guitar line is masterfully written and performed. A close second.
3) "Waiting for the Man" - I like the VU, but I think this song is overrated. Maybe I just had to be there...
4) "Good Times" - the best sample ever...as an original, I don't know.

1) "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Contrary to some of you, I really like Art's lead on this song. I think he sells it. But ultimately it is the song. This is a timeless hymn that should be revered for centuries to come. The lyrics are inspirational and the music enhances that feeling infinitely. I can't say enough about Paul Simon and this is his ultimate triumph.
2) "Thunder Road" - I wish I could put this number one. As I said a couple of weeks ago, Bruce is a hero of mine. This song is a masterpiece of his. The narrative carries the listener into the main characters' lives and holds attention without the use of a refrain. Great songwriting by Bruce, but just a tad short of Simon's achievement. How can you compare, though?
3) "Heroes" - I know I said I'd vote for "Heroes" when I shafted those other two Bowie songs. But I didn't know it's competition at the time. I take it back. I love this song, but it just can't compare to the stellar entries above.
4) "House of Jealous Lovers" - I have also been explicit about my support of recent songs, and I LOVE the Rapture, but I think they surpassed the quality of this song on their most recent album and the songwriting quality definitely doesn't hold a candle to the other three.

1) "Nuthin But a G Thang" - Changed the face of music as we know it. Dre's production is phenomenal and original and Snoop's delivery is genius. This song creates a vibe - a distinct sense of time, place and feeling that is still fascinating.
2) "Satisfaction" - It is a killer riff, and a classic performance by Jagger, but it just isn't as endearing a performance as Dre and Snoop's. Jagger comes across as a jerk when I should be sympathizing with his plight. And after the riff...where else does it go?
3) "Work It" - Great Timbaland production, great lyrics and flow...why did I rank it below "Satisfaction"? Ugh, I got sold on the prestige and robbed another newer song of its rightful accolades.
4) "He's a Rebel" - Sure he is, but do you have to sing about it?

BRACKET 37

Relax - 4 points for FgtH, not only for this song but also their great album from which this single was pulled of
Stayin' alive - Best Bee Gees song. I don't know if it's really good but I always like it when I hear it
That'll be the day - Good song but not a favourite one
The twist - His voice sounds like he doesn't make the end of the song

BRACKET 38

Voodoo chile (slight return) - Not much competition for Jimi but he wins easily
Good times - Good disco
Waiting for the man - Sounds great when I listen to the banana album as a whole, but as a single…..? Mwa
I want you back - Not bad at all but also nothing special to me

BRACKET 39

Bridge over troubled water - A song that never bores me. And who cares if it was sung by Garfunkel, that doesn't make it less beautiful
Heroes - Bowie's best, I wouldn't mind if this wins this bracket but personally I can't put it above S&G
Thunder road - I like Bruce Springsteen more for his albums than for his singles. But this is a good piece of music
House of jealous lovers - Not good

BRACKET 40

(I can't get no) Satisfaction - Even I could have written these lyrics but the way they play it makes it a masterpiece
He's a rebel - No masterpiece but there are a lot worse songs and two of them are in this bracket
Work it - Better than Dr, Dre, but that doesn't say very much
Nuthin' but a 'g' thang - I don't like rap, I don't like Dr. Dre and I don't like Snoop doggy dog. Three good reasons for putting this on the fourth place

BRACKET 37
1. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) – The only song in this bracket I really feel strongly about. A true classic, and pretty much the template (along with some of Elvis’ early records) for what a rock and roll band is supposed to sound like.
2. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977) – Not necessarily a song I want to listen to every day, but a perfect recording on its own terms.
3. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983) – See #2. Frankie say relax, and Harold say Frankie hold up much better than you might have thought.
4. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960) – Fun, and culturally significant, but not a great record by any stretch.

BRACKET 38
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968) – Packs a pure sonic wallop like almost nothing else I can think of. Sometimes Jimi’s effortless virtuosity is almost invisible, so to speak; that’s decidedly not the case here. He simply cuts loose, and it’s electrifying no matter how many times you hear it.
2. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967) – Possibly my favorite track on one of the great albums; some of Lou’s most brilliantly delineated lyrics, and one of the all-time “is that the way it’s -supposed- to sound?” moments when Cale starts pounding the piano at the end.
3. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969) – I hate to rank this so low here; it really is one of Motown’s finest moments, so passionately played and sung in all respects that it takes about two seconds to get past the novelty that it’s sung by a ten-year old.
4. Chic, “Good Times” (1979) – This is definitely one of the strongest brackets; this disco classic would have been #2 in Bracket 37 above. Silly lyrics, to be sure, but insanely catchy and gleamingly well-produced.

BRACKET 39
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977) – The most improbably anthemic song of Bowie’s career (thanks largely to an improbable Robert Fripp guitar hook), a song that has transcended whatever context it was created in and has been stripped of all irony and complexity via the myriad ways it’s been overused through the years (it’s Bowie’s “Born in the U.S.A.”). But it became what it is because it -is- so brilliantly what it is, if that makes sense.
2. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970) – An anthem that was intended as such, delivered by Artie with stunning purity over an exquisite slow build of an arrangement. You’re lying if you say those string-and-percussion crescendos don’t produce a swell of emotion in you, voluntary or not.
3. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975) – Another great slow build to an explosive coda. An instant signal that this album was going to be significantly different from what he’d done before, that he was raising the stakes to try to live up to what his new manager/producer had written about him. Here, it works. Long live the glockenspiel!
4. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002) – I don’t know it that well. Having listened to it several times, can’t say I have much inclination to, either.

BRACKET 40
1. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) – I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little tired of it by now, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t deserving of its status and an obvious #1 here. To listen with fresh ears, track down the stereo mix and realize how being able to hear Brian’s acoustic underneath Keith’s riff deepens the dynamics of the whole thing.
2. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) – Where Spector really became Spector for the first time. The Wall isn’t present in all its glory just yet, but Phil (and writer Gene Pitney) had an innate sense of what Young America needed to hear, and Darlene Love and the rest of the faux-Crystals delivered it and then some.
3. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) – For better or worse, another of those “before and after” records. Hugely influential on the genre, and with good reason.
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) – Brazenly hilarious in its decidedly unladylike aggressiveness; brings up the, uh, rear here only by default. The first couple of times I heard it, I thought the elephant bray was a particularly creative radio edit; the fact that, nope, it’s actually there in the original is sheer genius.

BRACKET 37
34. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957)
162. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960)
95. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977)
223. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983)

BRACKET 38
226. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968)
159. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967)
31. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969)
98. Chic, “Good Times” (1979)

BRACKET 39
66. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977)
63. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970)
191. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002)
194. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975)

BRACKET 40
255. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962)
2. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965)
127. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993)
130. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002)

BRACKET 37
1. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977) - The best disco song of all time
2. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983) - I love the whole "Welcome..." album
3. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960) - Very entertaining
4. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) - I have nothing against Buddy, but this is really nothing special at all.

BRACKET 38
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968) - Fantastic solo intro, fantastic song.
2. Chic, “Good Times” (1979) - I love the beat and the original is always best!
3. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967) - Great song, but it doesn't move me like the two above.
4. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969) - Again, I put the highest ranked song at the end. I'm really tired of this one.

BRACKET 39
1. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977) - One of the most loveable songs ever
2. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970) - Beautiful, but it doesn't hold as many listens as Heroes.
3. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975) - I can understand that this song means so much to some.
4. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002) - Don't seem to fit in here, as everyone has it at #4...

BRACKET 40
2. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) - Can it get easier to pick a number one!!!!!!!!!
127. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) - Flow
130. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) - A funny joke...
255. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) - Nothing to care about

BRACKET 40
1. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) - Can it get easier to pick a number one!!!!!!!!!
2. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) - Flow
3. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) - A funny joke...
4. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) - Nothing to care about

I was out of town. I hope this gets in in time.

BRACKET 37
95. The Bee Gees, “Stayin’ Alive” (1977) SO AWESOME! Maybe it's just because I've recently been on a disco kick, but this song is amazing and still gets me grooving. God bless you Bee Gees.
34. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) Buddy Holly's finest song, and a fine one indeed.
223. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, “Relax” (1983) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPLrXFw76Qg
I feel bad putting it at three because of that video. Plus, how many songs give you such truly great advise?
162. Chubby Checker, “The Twist” (1960) The Twist is a pretty awesome song, but without getting to experience the craziness that accompanied it I feel that I've never been able to truly get this song.

BRACKET 38 - This bracket is about the guitar
31. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back” (1969) I love the guitars in the song. There's that rhythmic one chord being repeated in the most perfect beat ever that interplays with the main guitar that adds these great little trills throughout. The interplay is perfect and when this song was made it wasn't creepy that Michael wanted to touch kids.
98. Chic, “Good Times” (1979) Another wonderful funky guitar part that makes you want to dance. I'll give it to the five just because I've heard that song more.
159. The Velvet Underground, “Waiting for the Man” (1967) In no way funky, but Lou's playing just oozes along in a way that makes me want to buy drugs now.
226. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)” (1968) I feel this is a good time to explain my position on guitar solos. They can be great and technical and impossible to replicate, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're particularly interesting to listen to. If that were the case, Steve Vai would be more influential than the Beatles and Stones combined. Thus, this is the song I'd least like to hear in this bracket.

BRACKET 39
194. Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road” (1975) I'm currently in the center of mancrush on Bruce Springsteen. Honestly, this song should be studied in songwriting 101 because it's so vivid and a great story.
66. David Bowie, “Heroes” (1977) My favorite Bowie (I doubt I'm alone). I love Bowie's vocal delivery in the song. He just REALLY wants us to be Heroes.
191. The Rapture, “House of Jealous Lovers” (2002) I love to dance and I love to dance to this song. It was a little annoying at first, but The Rapture have finally won me over.
63. Simon and Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (1970) It's a pretty song, but a little too bombastic. I mean, do any songs ever need canons that aren't the 1812 Overture (I'm sure it was probably just a drum, but still)?

BRACKET 40
2. The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” (1965) This is one of my least favorite Stones songs just because it's horribly overplayed. However, given the competition there's really no other choice. But for me this would've been fourth in Brackets 37 and 38 and last in Bracket 39.
127. Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, “Nuthin’ But a ‘G’ Thang” (1993) I like the slyness of this song, but Dre was never really my thing.
130. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Work It” (2002) I like it better than the other Missy song we voted for. That's not much of a compliment.
255. The Crystals, “He’s a Rebel” (1962) Hadn't heard it before. Probably won't hear it again.

Hope this counts! I've been quite sick this week, so haven't had the energy to dedicate to this!

B37: Solid!

1. Bee Gees- "Stayin' Alive": irresistible dance groove, filled with sexy swagger and chic. Perfect!

2. Frankie Goes to Hollywood- "Relax": Monstrous synth anthem that really showcased the theme of the 80s. Wonderful.

3. Buddy Holly- "That'll Be the Day": I'm a Buddy Holly fan in waiting, and I can get with this.

4. Chubby Checker- "The Twist": Important, but unfortunately it can't compete with the others for me.

B38: Strong!

1. The Velvet Underground- "Waiting for the Man": Chugging, stomping and fitting of the drug-induced tantrum that it is, it jumps out of the speakers after the ethereal "Sunday Morning".

2. Chic- "Good Times": Disco perfection. Chic achieved the loftiest of heights in the disco era (along with Donna Summer), and this song is near the pinnacle. Unfortunately, "I Want Your Love" isn't acclaimed enough to be here, or it would be number 1.

3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience- "Voodoo Chile": I can't believe this only ranks number 3! I was blown away on first listen, and still am!

4. The Jackson 5- "I Want You Back"- Cute, but out of its league here.

B39: So-so

1. David Bowie- "Heroes": Bowie gets an easy win here with his paranoid yet uplifting anthem. While there are many other songs I would choose to annoint from his Berlin era, this one is ace as well.

2. The Rapture- "House of Jealous Lovers": I'm a bit of a "Get Myself Into It" guy myself, but this'll do.

3. Bruce Springsteen- "Thunder Road": It's ok- not really my kind of thing.

4. Simon Garfunkel- "Bridge Over Troubled Water": I know it's important and legendary, but it doesn't do it for me.

B40: The urban funk bracket!

1. Missy- "Work It": I'm appalled at the tepid (and that is putting it mildly) response to this song. Missy is responsible for the most creative, mind-bending and fun urban music to come out in the past 10 years.

2. Dr. Dre- "Nuthin' But a G Thang": I used to hate it, but that groove creeped its way into my brain. So just chill, bitches, until the next episode- ya dig?!

3. Rolling Stones- "Satisfaction": Yes, it has a monstrous guitar lick and pretty much defines rock 'n roll. But I prefer my funk, damn it!

4. The Crystals- "He's a Rebel": Can't compete with the top 3.