Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 9

BRACKET 33

1) Purple Haze – what a perfect psychedelic groove, and a totally whacked out non-melodious beginning that probably was unprecedented at the time
2) Sabatoge – Hip-hop, rap, pu nk rock, standard mainstream alternative rock, or soundtrack to awesome 70s retro crime drama credits? A genre-less masterpiece.
3) Blue Suede Shoes – Classic boogie woogie, laid the foundation for many rollicking favorites in later years
4) Many Rivers to Cross – don’t know this song

BRACKET 34

1) Gimme Shelter – I like Rolling Stones songs that have a subtle swagger, where it’s the instrumentation and organic sound that overshadow the big rock star personas. Gimme Shelter has Jagger share vocal duties pretty prominently with an anonymous female singer, providing a unique sound that’s appealing to people that aren’t hardcore stones fans.
2) Love Will Tear Us Apart – I still haven’t downloaded this song but probably should soon. So much potential for Joy Division to break out encapsulated here
3) Honky Tonk Women – Overplayed, obnoxious, with an unusual polish that doesn’t sound right for the Stones… one of the most overrated songs ever
4) Ace of Spades – Only lower because I haven’t heard it.

BRACKET 35

1. “Dancing in the Street” – Is this officially Wall of Sound or Motown? Either way, this song is an unstoppable force. I don’t know under what context mass amounts of people could be taking part in impromptu dancing in the streets, especially in decentralized American urban areas, but whatever Martha is singing about is sounds like perfect fun.
2. “96 Tears” - I just bought the 4CD Nuggets box set, and this is a highlight. I love the ragtag garage band feel.
3. “The Weight” – OK, relaxed tune.
4. “No Woman No Cry” – Sorry that it’s last, but never got into Bob Marley, for who knows what reasons.

BRACKET 36

1. “The Message” – Incredible pioneering song. Only a couple years after Rapper’s Delight, the rap genre was getting serious and providing an essential urban perspective, while still keeping a beat
2. “Ring of Fire” – The Johnny Cash against which all others are judged.
3. “A Whiter Shade of Pale” – Organ-drenched emotional power
4. “Help!” – One of the sillier Beatles songs

BRACKET 33

Purple haze - He made the best 'on the road' music ever, great!
Many rivers to cross - I sounds like he is meaning it when he sings it
Blue suede shoes - One of the best Rock and roll songs but still number 3 here
Sabotage - I'm not a big beastie boys fan

BRACKET 34

Gimme shelter - Best thing the stones ever did
Honky tonk women - Doesn't come close to the number one but still a great song
Love will tear us apart - This music does nothing to me. It's'not bad but I just don't like it that much
Ace of spades - Teringherrie (sorry for the Dutch language but I can't find a good description in English for this)

BRACKET 35

No woman no cry - Absolutely number 1 not only in this bracket but for this week also. Of course I'm talking about the live version
Dancing in the street - Great classic song
The weight - Nice song for a 'not singles band'
96 tears - I tried to get it but I could not, not bad anyway

BRACKET 36

A Whiter shade of pale - 1967 must have been a great year for music lovers
Help! - One of the best 'pre-revolver' songs by the beatles
Ring of fire - Good country music
The message - I just don't like it

BRACKET 33
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967) – Another easy #1, for another of those “before and after” songs. The man really did change the way the guitar was played. Drummer wasn’t too bad, either.
2. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956) – Possibly the greatest intro ever, leading into a slice of rockabilly so pure even the King himself couldn’t top it.
3. Jimmy Cliff, “Many Rivers to Cross” (1969) – The centerpiece of a wonderful soundtrack album, and easily the best thing Cliff ever did.
4. Beastie Boys, “Sabotage” (1994) – It’s impossible for me to separate this track from Spike Jonze’s brilliant video, quite possibly the best ever made. As a song, it’s far from my favorite of theirs.

BRACKET 34
1. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969) – As easy a #1 as is possible to imagine. One of my favorite recordings, period – a work of menacing genius, from that slow multi-Keith fade-in to the implacable beat to Nicky Hopkins’ perfectly minimalist piano to a weary, way-down-in-the-mix Jagger to those great alternating harp and guitar stabs to the amazing Merry Clayton. This is a terrific bracket, but picking #1 is no contest whatsoever.
2. Motörhead, “Ace of Spades” (1980) – An exhilarating slab of metal with punk attitude; gets the job done and gets out fast before you have time to catch your breath.
3. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980) – I don’t know. I have a weird relationship with this song (and this band, to be frank). I get why it’s great and why people love it, but it doesn’t do a lot for me personally, as opposed to some of the tracks from the albums.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Honky Tonk Women” (1969) – There was a time when this might have been my favorite Stones track, and I’m still knocked out by the arrangement and the way Keith’s guitar moves across the stereo as the song goes on, but it’s played out for me by now. Awesome cowbell, though.

BRACKET 35
1. The Band, “The Weight” (1968) – Justifies Robbie Robertson’s entire career all by itself. You wouldn’t think a track so stately and reserved could be so exciting, but it’s all in the passion all five bring to it as singers (Richard Manuel’s wordless vocal fills say as much as Helm and Danko’s verses) and musicians. And the lyrics are poetic and abstract without being pretentious. A masterpiece.
2. ? and the Mysterians, “96 Tears” (1966) – Equally a masterpiece in its own crude, sounds-like-it-was-recorded-with-a-single-mike way. The reason the Farfisa organ was invented.
3. Bob Marley and the Wailers, “No Woman No Cry” (1974) – Reggae is not my favorite genre, but the pain and passion in this song is universal, especially in the live version.
4. Martha and the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street” (1964) – Another song that’s been worn out through overuse. But it’s still great, and can represent the Motown sound as well as anything.

BRACKET 36
1. Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967) – I had no idea so many people disliked this record so much. It’s one of my favorites, even though I do recognize the lofty pretension of the lyrics (all right, and the Bach-inspired music too). I guess I’m just a sucker for a great organ riff. And Gary Brooker was an inspired singer.
2. The Beatles, “Help!” (1965) – Can’t really understand the general blah-ness towards this one, either. For the group and Lennon in particular, this was a major leap forward lyrically and musically, and the vocal arrangement is one of their best.
3. Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire” (1963) – A classic, with one of the greatest lyrical metaphors for love ever conceived. But I’d rather listen to the two above.
4. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, “The Message” (1982) – It kind of pains me to put this here, as I know how important it is. But, again, if I’m picking something to listen to, I’ll take any of the others first.

BRACKET 33
1. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956): yes, I know, even Carl admitted that Elvis cover was better, but the echo-tinged Sun Records-styled Perkins original is still amazing.
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967): psychedelia at its best, nice guitar riff, nice groove, nice vocal percussion effects (copied by The Zombies for “Time of the Season”) and nice “excuse me while I kiss the sky” druggy lyrics.
3. Jimmy Cliff, “Many Rivers to Cross” (1969): no matter for me if it’s gospel, soul or reggae, the melody is magnificent.
4. Beastie Boys, “Sabotage” (1994): nice guitars, interesting clip, but the Beastie Boys are not my cup of tea.

BRACKET 34
1. The Rolling Stones, “Honky Tonk Women” (1969): I’m absolutely astonished for the lack of recognition in the forum to such masterpiece. It was the very moment in which all the rhythm and blues and other black music influences of the Stones really crystallized in a very own Stones style that perfected on “Exile on Main Street”. The loose playing, the Keith Richards guitar intro, the cowbell, the singalong chorus, the funny lyrics, I like everything in this song. It’s overplayed but it’s because it’s good enough. And it’s not only funny, it’s dirty like rock should always be.
2. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969): oh, no, it isn’t fair. Another Stones 1969 song as good as the previous one but completely different. In fact I would surely put this one at #1 if it wasn’t for the comments in the forum against “Honky Tonk Women”.
3. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980): I agree with Anthony in many of his arguments about the overrated Joy Division, but this song has enough magic on it that I even had put it higher in other brackets.
4. Motörhead, “Ace of Spades” (1980): I’m not of course a metal kid (most of metal kids are so narrow-minded that use to think that no other music than metal is good, most of them don’t really like music and stop listening to it when they grow older). But I can’t deny the unstoppable power of this one.

BRACKET 35
1. Martha and the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street” (1964): “summer’s here and the time is right for dancing in the streets”, an almost epic invitation to the joy of music and dance. And, yes, it’s Motown of course (I could say Motownest), but surely Spector would have produced it gladly.
2. Bob Marley and the Wailers, “No Woman No Cry” (1974): another overplayed song cause it deserves it, another reggae song that’s more a soul or gospel song. Anyway, a masterpiece.
3. The Band, “The Weight” (1968): beautiful one. I’ve read in allmusic that Robertson took inspiration from Spanish filmmaker Luis Buñuel about the “impossibility of sainthood”. Amen, Robbie.
4. ? and the Mysterians, “96 Tears” (1966): cool one, but number four here.

BRACKET 36
1. Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967): when I play keyboard, it’s always the first song I play with a church organ sound (one of the most beautiful organ melodic lines ever, although borrowed from Bach’s “Air”). Next song I always play is Reed’s “Perfect Day”, by the way.
2. The Beatles, “Help!” (1965): nice and energetic Lennon tune from the time in which, under Dylan’s influence, he was beginning to open his heart and write more personal songs.
3. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, “The Message” (1982): groundbreaking, the sound of the streets.
4. Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire” (1963): great mariachi-country, but not better than the previous three.

BRACKET 33
47. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967)
82. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956)
175. Jimmy Cliff, “Many Rivers to Cross” (1969)
210. Beastie Boys, “Sabotage” (1994)

I think this is the first time I've liked every song in the bracket. Really REALLY tough but since I want Cliff's song played at my wake, I'm going with that for #1 with Hendrix just behind at #2 vote. After that, I'll take Blue Suede with the Beasties last.

BRACKET 34
18. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980)
111. The Rolling Stones, “Honky Tonk Women” (1969)
146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969)
239. Motörhead, “Ace of Spades” (1980)

I'm not a huge Stones fan honestly but "Honky Tonk Women" is one of their best efforts and an essential "more cowbell" song to me. #1. After that gimme Joy Division in 2nd spot, the Stones again and Motorhead in last (this is not really a verdict on the song..I haven't heard it..yet)

BRACKET 35
50. Martha and the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street” (1964)
79. Bob Marley and the Wailers, “No Woman No Cry” (1974)
178. ? and the Mysterians, “96 Tears” (1966)
207. The Band, “The Weight” (1968)

The second bracket where I like 'em all. That rock solid Funk Brothers intro though can't be beat so Martha gets the #1 nod. "96" is easily one of the best one hit wonders ever so it's runner up followed by the Band with Marley rounding out the pack.

BRACKET 36
15. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, “The Message” (1982)
114. Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967)
143. The Beatles, “Help!” (1965)
242. Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire” (1963)

Another bracket of stuff I like. The Beatles JUST edge out Johnny for #1 (if this had been a different Johnny tune he'd have taken it..) with Grandmaster Flash's classic at #3. Love the Procol Harum song but only when I'm in the right "frame of mind" so it takes last.

BRACKET 33
47. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967)
82. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956)
210. Beastie Boys, “Sabotage” (1994)
175. Jimmy Cliff, “Many Rivers to Cross” (1969)

I've never been much of a Jimmy Cliff fan, other than that, I agree with the AM rankings. "Purple Haze" is glorious.

BRACKET 34
239. Motörhead, “Ace of Spades” (1980)
111. The Rolling Stones, “Honky Tonk Women” (1969)
146. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969)
18. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980)

Joy Division, dreary music for dreary people. Awful song. "Ace Of Spades", on the other hand, is one of my all-time favourites. Can't separate the two Stones songs so I left them as they are.

BRACKET 35
50. Martha and the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street” (1964)
178. ? and the Mysterians, “96 Tears” (1966)
79. Bob Marley and the Wailers, “No Woman No Cry” (1974)
207. The Band, “The Weight” (1968)

"No Woman No Cry" is possibly the best Bob Marley song, but I don't really like Bob Marley. If it weren't for the thoroughly joyous "Dancing In The Street" being in this bracket I would have put "96 Tears first, as it's one of the songs that got me into those obscure garage bands which are probably best explored on the famous Nuggets compilation.
The Band are one of those bands I never got into, all that folkrock stuff (from Bob Dylan down) does nothing for me.

BRACKET 36
114. Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967)
143. The Beatles, “Help!” (1965)
242. Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire” (1963)
15. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, “The Message” (1982)

While I love and adore "...Wheels Of Steel", I'm not especially bothered about "The Message". Certainly it's not a patch on the other three songs here. As for them, I agree with their AM rankings.

BRACKET 33
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967) - This has long been one of my absolute favourites, but still amazes me every time I play it.
2. Beastie Boys, “Sabotage” (1994) - Another of my absolute faves. A little surprisingly, the Beasties went back to the harder rocking and made their best song ever.
3. Jimmy Cliff, “Many Rivers to Cross” (1969) - Suddenly we're sitting in the church and listening.
4. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes” (1956) - The top 100 position is one of AM's little mysteries...

BRACKET 34
1. Motörhead, “Ace of Spades” (1980) - The heaviest song of all time!
2. The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969) - Great song that becomes absolutely amazing with that female chorus vocal.
3. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980) - What Harold wrote fits me exactly.
4. The Rolling Stones, “Honky Tonk Women” (1969) - OVERRATED

BRACKET 35
1. Bob Marley and the Wailers, “No Woman No Cry” (1974) - One of the best soul ballads ever.
2. Martha and the Vandellas, “Dancing in the Street” (1964) - I'm dancing...
3. The Band, “The Weight” (1968) - The Band's best moment, but far behind at #3.
4. ? and the Mysterians, “96 Tears” (1966) - Too simple, I don't get it.

BRACKET 36
1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, “The Message” (1982) - Standout rap song.
2. Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale” (1967) - Back sitting in the church again. I love that organ. But 'The Message' has "the message".
3. Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire” (1963) - Cash is cool.
4. The Beatles, “Help!” (1965) - Silly, but not bad, only not as good as the others.

Bracket 33:

1. Jimi Hendrix- "Purple Haze": Wonderfully eccentric and powerful!

2. Jimmy Cliff- "Many Rivers to Cross": I'm not a reggae fan at all, but this is so heartfelt and beautiful that it can't be denied.

3. Beastie Boys- "Sabotage": Fun, but as much as I love the Beastie Boys, I feel this is overrated. Give me "Intergalactic" any day over this!

4. Carl Perkins- "Blue Suede Shoes": Legendary, but I just don't enjoy it.

Bracket 34:

1. Joy Division- "Love Will Tear Us Apart": Beautifully heartbreaking and poignant. I like a few songs from Unknown Pleasures more, but this is their standout statement. Plus, the music video was filmed on the day I was born!

2. Rolling Stones- "Gimme Shelter": I'm not a Stones fan in general, but I quite like this. Gutsy and moving.

3. Motorhead- "Ace of Spades": Great guitar work and fun, but can't compete with the top 2.

4. Rolling Stones- "Honky Tonk Women": This song annoys me quite a bit!

Bracket 35:

1. ? and the Mysterians- "96 Tears": I love how freaky Question Mark is, and this song is wonderfully flamboyant and bizarre.

2. Martha and the Vandellas- "Dancing in the Street": Great, great groove!

3. The Band- "The Weight": A little sappy, but it does pay off.

4. Bob Marley and the Wailers- "No Woman, No Cry": This song is WHY I don't like reggae. Too many drunken frat boys in flip flops.

Bracket 36:

1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- "The Message": Pure brilliance- the paranoid synth flourishes, the plodding bass line and the pointed lyrics capture the zeitgeist of the early 80s streets. This song should be the template for current hip hop.

2. Protocol Hum- "A Whiter Shade of Pale": I prefer Annie Lennox's version, but this is gorgeous.

3. Johnny Cash- "Ring of Fire": Hugely important, it pushes me past my comfort zone, which is a good thing. Still, I don't like it as much as the first two.

4. The Beatles- "Help": My Beatles hatred is pretty well documented here, and this song is one of the first that comes to mind when I think of why I hate them.