Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 7

I think I took a week break from bracketology, but here I go

BRACKET 25

1. “Girls and Boys” – This song has got a bit dated, but this song really provided the first distinctively British contribution to the alternative music landscape that I would come to really like.
2. “Whole Lotta Love” – Classic Zeppelin, amazing that this was one of their hit singles with that expanded non-poppy noise section
3. “Layla” – Best and longest song coda of all time.
4. “I Feel Love” – Easy one to be last, I don’t even know how the song goes!

BRACKET 26

1. “Born to Run” – Hands down, as epic as a non-indulgent song can be. If he was singing about some dramatic emotional struggle only rock stars suffer through, you could dismiss this. But like most of his words they’re gritty, heartfelt, and down-to-earth.
2. “White Rabbit” – Haunting psychedelica, accentuates a lot of good cinematic moments (the ones that come to mind are the Sopranos and the movie the Game)
3. “Brown Eyed Girl” – A little dated but still sweet
4. “Folsom Prison Blues” – all respect to Mr. Cash, this one just isn’t memorable melodically

BRACKET 27

1. “God Only Knows” – One of my top ten songs of all time. Nothing else can really be said.
2. “Tomorrow Never Knows” – Lots of knowable songs in this bracket, this song signalled an experimental Beatles side while still being hummable
3. “Green Onions” – Instrumentals have to really be something to be timeless, and this one has a universal groove.
4. “Midnight Train to Georgia” – A lesser soul song.

BRACKET 28

1. “Strawberry Fields Forever” – One of my favorites, orchestral, with another distinctive coda.
2. “Sign ‘O’ the Times” – One I’m learning to appreciate since I got my hands on the 1987 classic album only recently. If Prince didn’t have this song, his sexual singles might have dominated my views of his artistic depth.
3. “Try a Little Tenderness” – I probably heard this on the radio at one point or another, Otis Redding is always good
4. “This Charming Man” – can’t remember this song, sorry

BRACKET 25
1. Derek and the Dominos, “Layla” - Shows you how good music can be when it's written my a man who wants to nail another man's wife.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Whole Lotta Love” - Like the first song, this is a rock 'n' roll classic about carnal desires. If you don't like these songs, you're probably a woman. Nothing wrong with that of course, I'm just pointing it out.
3. Blur, “Girls and Boys” - Catchy little Brit pop number with clever chorus.
4. Donna Summer, “I Feel Love” - A song for those who don't like the first two in this bracket.

BRACKET 26
1. Bruce Springsteen, “Born to Run” - An epic. "Baby, kids like you and me were born to run."
2. Van Morrison, “Brown Eyed Girl” (1967) - Since my wife and daughters are all brown eyed girls I have a certain affinity for this song. Plus it has a killer pop melody.
3. Johnny Cash, “Folsom Prison Blues” - Always cool, but in a tough bracket.
4. Jefferson Airplane, “White Rabbit” - 'psychedelic' doesn't do a lot for me, and a lot of it sounds forced. But this is one of the better examples of the genre.

BRACKET 27
1. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” - Wins one of the weaker brackets. The simple, touching sentiment is effective, and of course the Boys can harmonize like nobody's business.
4. Booker T. & the MG’s, “Green Onions” - A classic blues groove.
3. The Beatles, “Tomorrow Never Knows” - Let the studio experimentation begin. Good song, but doesn't stand out as one of the Beatles' greats. Sounds like they were warming up for "Sgt. Pepper's."
4. Gladys Knight and the Pips, “Midnight Train to Georgia” - Effective '70s soul.

BRACKET 28
1. The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever” - My favorite Beatles song, and if that's not enough to put it at the top of most brackets, I don't know what is.
2. Prince, “Sign ‘O’ the Times” - A cool intro, and the examples Prince uses as signs of the times in 1987 work just as well in 2007.
3. The Smiths, “This Charming Man” - I'm not a Morrissey hater or a Morrissey fan. This is a good Smiths song, nothing more, nothing less.
4. Otis Redding, “Try a Little Tenderness” - I'm an Otis Redding fan, but while good, this isn't one of his best.

Hope I'm not too late

BRACKET 25
44. Derek and the Dominos, “Layla” (1970) Very awesomely pretty and painful.
213. Blur, “Girls and Boys” (1994) Not Blur's best, but definitely a fun, stupid pop song.
85. Led Zeppelin, “Whole Lotta Love” (1969) Great riff, though I think the Plant groaning part goes on too long.
172. Donna Summer, “I Feel Love” (1977) Haven't hear it enough. Probably unfair to Donna.

BRACKET 26
21. Bruce Springsteen, “Born to Run” (1975) Just, frakin' perfect in its bombastic account of an everyday person who's fed up.
149. Johnny Cash, “Folsom Prison Blues” (1956) For the "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" line.
108. Van Morrison, “Brown Eyed Girl” (1967) Pretty, happy pop song.
236. Jefferson Airplane, “White Rabbit” (1967) A cool song, but not one I ever feel the desire to listen to.

BRACKET 27
53. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” (1966) Yeah, this song is perfect and just really the most beautiful song in pop.
76. Booker T. & the MG’s, “Green Onions” (1962) Such a groove on this. Instantly recognizable and I never get tired of it.
204. Gladys Knight and the Pips, “Midnight Train to Georgia” (1973) Cool little soul ditty
181. The Beatles, “Tomorrow Never Knows” (1966) I personally find this song much more influential than enjoyable, but I feel that way about the Beatles in general.

BRACKET 28
117. The Smiths, “This Charming Man” (1983) What a weak bracket, but this is my favorite. I can't believe this is The Smiths' highest rated song.
12. The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever” (1967) I've always found this song a bit irritating as well, but it's up against some other weak songs.
140. Prince, “Sign ‘O’ the Times” (1987) I love Prince's vocal delivery, but this song is just really dull.
245. Otis Redding, “Try a Little Tenderness” (1966) Definitely not Otis's best.