Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new way to get RYM recommendations...

I just found today that you can add any RYM users you want and create a top 100 list based on their ratings at http://rateyourmusic.com/find/.

Then I went to my 100 favourite albums list to check who have voted for the same albums as me, in the most "obscure" cases.

Bob Marley - Soul Revolution/African Herbsman
A top 100 list was created for me, based on those who have given Soul Revolution/African Herbsman 5 stars. Of the albums that I don't already own, Jimi Hendrix's "Band of Gypsys" reached the highest place here.

Anouar Brahem – Le Voyage de Sahar
Here, not many RYMers have rated this album at all (come on guys!) so I based my top 100 on those who had given this 4-5 stars.
Highest album that I don't already own: Anouar Brahem's "Le pas du chat noir" followed by Duke Ellington's "Money Jungle"

Julee Cruise - Floating into the Night
Highest album that I don't already own: Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
This resulted in a quite ridiculous string of Supremes albums in the top, followed by a string of Supremes-related solo albums...then came Bonnie Pointer's self-titled debut...(!)

Astor Piazolla - Tango: Zero Hour
Highest album that I don't already own: Nico - Desertshore

Then I combined all RYM users from the above runnings and got these albums that I don't already own in a final top 100:
53. King Crimson – Lark’s Tongues in Aspic
65. Chico Buarque - Contrucao
72. Nico – Desertshore
These are all albums I've been wanting to check out, and I certainly will do it after these results.

Re: A new way to get RYM recommendations...

Cool! Another excellent time waster! just kidding, this looks neat.

Over the years I've tried out many recommendation engines based on my obscure album favorites, and even designed an Excel method of my own a few years back. I always seem to have a handful of David Bowie albums at the top each time. All I own are Low and Ziggy Stardust (well, Earthling too, but that was a peripheral purchase during the mid-nineties, and that album is never ranked anywhere), so I better find a box set of all Bowie stuff to catch up.