Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When has Rolling Stone gotten it right / wrong?

The fact that Rolling Stone even bothered to review K-Fed says a lot. I'm sure that record review space in the magazine could have gone to an interesting indie band.

Say what you want but you have to admit that Rolling Stone has by far the strongest writing. Whenever I want an insightful analysis of a favourite record they never disappoint.

(Thinking of it, the score 1 would actually be equivalent to something in the 0-20 interval, score 2 would be between 21 and 40, etc., so maybe the most "correct" translation would be 10, 30, 50, 70, 90? But it wouldn't be any fun if no albums would get a 100 unless the source actually use a 100-point scale. Alright, I'll shut up here...)

Maybe the best way to think of it would be as a logarithmic scale rather than a linear one, in both directions too. So 1/5 would be 0%, 2/5 33%, 3/5 50%, 4/5 67% and 5/5 100%. It seems like that's the way the critics think of them anyways. They care much less about the interval between 3 and 4 stars than the one between 4 and 5.