The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Week 6

I’ve got your brackets right here…

Ballots are due at midnight, Saturday, July 21.

BRACKET 21
36. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006)
93. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)
164. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)
221. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)

BRACKET 22
29. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959)
100. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965)
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981)
228. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972)

BRACKET 23
61. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961)
68. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954)
189. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956)
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956)

BRACKET 24
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991)
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982)
132. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971)
253. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989)

As I’ve mentioned, I’ll be out of town for the next four days. I’ll try very hard to post the Week 5 results on Sunday if I can; otherwise, they’ll be up Monday night. You all play nice while I’m gone…

Re: Bracketology: Week 6

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - I realise I'm probably one of the very few people on this forum who will put this as #1. Then again, it's not a very strong bracket in my opinion.
2. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - The king has so many songs that are better than this one, the A-side to this song especially, but a very good song for a B-side indeed.
3. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - No particular fondness for this song, but I don't really like Da Doo Ron Ron, so this is a good third.
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - Not a very strong bracket but The Crystals still come in last.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - This song is excellent, and an easy #1 in another (for me) fairly weak bracket.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) - The record company said it was too long and split it up into two songs, I say it's too short. This kind of music should never end. Tough choice between the Mamas and Papas and the father of R&B.
3. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - well, yeah.. no, doesn't do it for me.
4. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - Strangely enough I hadn't even heard of this song, even though it's pretty good. Not good enough to beat the rest though.

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - I have to shamefully admit that this always reminds me of Timon and Pumba. Pumba, pumba, stand by me! This song (the Lion King version) cracks me up every time. Sorry Mr. King. Still, an excellent song.
2. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - Excellent song with a performance by Little Richard which was never equalled by any cover. And there were a lot of them.
3. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - The song to start the rock revolution, rock on!
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - Cute song, but has nothing on the rest in the strongest bracket this week.

BRACKET 24
1. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - Quite a few better Marvin Gaye songs still to go, but this one deserves the #1 spot in yet another, relatively, weak bracket.
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - The greatest Pixies song is not good enough to beat one of Marvin's lesser masterpieces.
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) - I considered letting Kurt get the third place, but the strategian in me couldn't.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - A little bit of a principal matter, and a strategical vote, I guess. Still, #1 and #2 are definitely better in my opinion, #3 I'm not sure yet.

Tough brackets this week, with no songs I really love. And my first and only strategic choice in the bracketology, my apologies.

Bracket 21
1. THE SMITHS, “THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT”: I can't stand Morrissey, and I don't have much time for the Smiths usually, but this is a wonderful, wonderful song in the best tradition of rock and roll. Finest song to come out of the UK in the 80s.
2. GNARLS BARKLEY, “CRAZY”: Last year’s best song was just a good, solid, well-crafted pop ditty. Who knew?
3. ELVIS PRESLEY, “DON’T BE CRUEL”: In my book, the beginning of E’s decline.
4. THE CRYSTALS, “DA DOO RON RON”: Good dumb fun; however, I prefer Harold Ramis’ version in the movie Stripes.

Bracket 22
1. RAY CHARLES, “WHAT’D I SAY”: I like everything in this bracket, but nothing beats vintage Brother Ray.
2. SOFT CELL, “TAINTED LOVE”: My brother, the Dr. Who fan, tells me that on that TV show, millions of years from now this will be considered the greatest song in Earth history. Maybe, but until that day it’s #2 here.
3. THE MAMAS AND THE PAPAS, “CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’”: Best song the Beach Boys never wrote.
4. MOTT THE HOOPLE, “ALL THE YOUNG DUDES”: Viva Mott…but it brings up the rear here.

Bracket 23
1. LITTLE RICHARD, “LONG TALL SALLY”: Paul McCartney would not have existed without this song.
2. ELVIS PRESLEY, “THAT’S ALL RIGHT (MAMA)”: As I hinted above, I prefer Elvis’ Sun period, but this isn’t the best thing to come out of it (that would be his cover of “Good Rockin’ Tonight”).
3. THE FIVE SATINS, “IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT”: It’s good, but I like my doo wop more upbeat.
4. BEN E. KING, “STAND BY ME”: Normally, I disagree with complaints that pre-Beatles music is boring. However, in this case, I have to say—this is sooo boring.

Bracket 24 (OK, I have forced myself to decide…)
1. NIRVANA, “SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT”
2. PIXIES, “MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN”
It’s the cruelest irony of the tournament so far that these two songs ended up in the same bracket. We have here “Teen Spirit,” the most critically acclaimed song of the last 40 years (and deservedly so), up against the Pixies, without whom “Teen Spirit” would not exist (Kurt admitted he was trying to write a Pixies song). I was really hoping to vote for the Pixies, one of my favorite bands, but I just can’t see a round of 64 without Nirvana. OUCH.
3. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE, “FAMILY AFFAIR”
4. MARVIN GAYE, “SEXUAL HEALING”
How tough is a bracket for me when neither Marvin nor Sly cracks the top two? I freely admit that I preferred “Family Affair” because I’ll have more chances to vote for Marvin later.

OK...now I REALLY have to get to the airport. Byee.

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006)- It's crazy to give this new of a song top billing but it's better than the rest.
2. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)- Not my favorite Smiths song but that doesn't mean much, since they have so many good songs.
3. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)- Elvis was a hero to most... Nah, I like some Elvis songs but this isn't one of them.
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)- I think I started disliking this song when I saw it in some comedy sports act. Either way it's boring and kind of annoying.

BRACKET 22- Tough bracket
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965)- How the Mamas and Papas came up with this song considering the rest of their catalog is beyond me. Great song.
2. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972)- In a lot of other brackets this would be my #1 song.
3. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959)- Really good song but not as good as 1 and 2.
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981)- See #3. But, kind of ruined by all the covers it's seen and commercials it's been in.

BRACKET 23
1. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954)- Now this is some good Elvis. Nothing even comes close to this song in the Elvis catalog.
2. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956)- Can I make this 1b? Just kidding. It's not my favorite Little Richard so I'll give top billing to Elvis on this one.
3. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961)- Another song that is a little tainted by invoking images of a movie. I wish that weren't the case. When I hear this song I think of 4 kids walking down a railroad track instead of the images the song itself paints.
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956)- Not into the whole doo-wop thing.

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991)- For how often I've heard this song, I don't think I ever need to hear it again. That doesn't take anything away with how great a song it is.
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989)- So many good songs by the Pixies. This isn't the best but it's good.
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971)- Probably my favorite song of theirs.
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982)- Too much information Marvin.

Wow, this might be the most interesting set so far.

BRACKET 21
221. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) Has been and always will be my favorite Smiths song. Probably in my top 10 or 20 if I were to compile the list some day.
36. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) I'm a bit sick of this song, but I can't deny how awesome it was the first hundered or so times I heard it.
164. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) Pretty cool song. Good production, but what would you expect?
93. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) Just not my favorite Elvis. Can't pinpoint why.

BRACKET 22
100. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) What a cool song. Harmonies, guitar parts, they're all on point.
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) Couldn't even be ruined by Rhianna.
29. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) I always like pt. 1 of the song and just think the 'uhhs' in pt. 2 were annoying. I know it was revolutionary for being so sexual, but now we have Peaches so it kind of loses some of the boldness.
228. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) The one I've heard the least, but I know I've heard it and it just didn't stick with me like the rest.

BRACKET 23
68. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) This song just rocks...hard. I also like Rod Stewart's version (I thought I'd never say that about a Rod Stewart song).
61. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) Classic little ballad. It gets a little cheese after all the cliche uses we've been through over the past 46 years, but an untainted listen by yourself on an iPod is still incredibly rewarding.
189. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) Another cool song, but nothing exceptional like the two above.
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) I know it's on my iPod, but I can't even recall what it sounds like though I've heard it before. I figure that means it's not pretty memorable.

BRACKET 24
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) This song could make a Mormon buy a prostitute (even if he's not in Congress).
253. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) Well, we wouldn't have Nirvana without the Pixies. I've always been baffled that this is the most loved Pixies song, but I guess there're so many good ones you have to rally behind something (though Gigantic would work).
132. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) A good Sly song, but not my favorite.
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) I'm not one of those people that dislikes this song, but c'mon, it wasn't really THAT amazing. We were just so sick of Poison and New Wave that we all rallied around this song and this album like it was the second coming. If this came out with the Sex Pistols, the Clash and the Ramones it wouldn't be the messiah of rock we remember it as today 16 years later.

BRACKET 21
1. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) – Spector’s returned! He was 24 when he produced this? Seriously? I’m 24, and I’ve done shit-all.
2. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) – one of Morrissey’s best.
3. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) – catchy, but I seem to remember a mash-up of this with a Supertramp tune. Similar or not, this song gets third here.
4, Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) – Hey, there goes Elvis! Yo, king!!

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) – love the “you know the preacher likes the cold” vocal. Great song.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) – improv gem. Not good enough to take down Mama Cass though.
3. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) – I actually don’t mind this one.
4. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) – Bowie lends some credibility, but it’s 4th here.

BRACKET 23
1. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) – 2 minutes and 9 seconds of rock n’ roll fun. Classic 12-bar form done live off the floor. Yeah-ah-ah baby. Woooo!
2. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) – don’t love it, but I don’t hate it.
3. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) – was this the first rock and roll tune? Some think so, but that’s neither here nor there. Not my favorite Elvis song.
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) – this one just doesn’t do anything for me.

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) – this was a no-brainer for me. There’s so many things that can (and have) been said about it, but historical significance aside, this song, well, rocks! A kick-ass riff, and trademark Cobain lyrics. This one’s going the distance – I predict sweet 16.
2. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) – it’s good, deserving enough of #2 here, but pales in comparison to his early stuff.
3. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) – but I like the Pixies. Really!
4. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) – another funk classic, but the victim of a strong bracket.

21:
1. Crazy - I still haven't gotten tired of this - a pop masterpiece in my opinion. The beat, the soulful vocals and the atmospheric choir works together beautifully.
2. There is a light that never goes out - Gorgeusly melancholic. 80's music that works! (still - it's 80's and hence not amazing)
3. Don't Be Cruel - Nice basswork, but a little plain - and not nearly as good as many other Elvis songs
4. Da-doo-ron-ron - Nice tune, but too monotonous.

22:
1. California Dreamin' - Wonderful song! The definitive sing-a-long song. Beautifully crafted. Has just the right amount of grandeur due to the spacey choir.
2. Tainted Love - These many variations of vocals, choir, keyboards and bass over a simple, minimalistic beat works superbly in my opinion.
3. What'd I Say - Starts very nicely - great bass and piano, but doesn't quite deliver what it promises. A bit too plain rock n' roll meets old school r n'b.
4. All the young dudes - mediocre

1. Stand By Me - Although this song has suffered many bad covers and unfortunate uses it is still a very nice love song with a beautiful arrangement.
2. That's All right, Mama - A showcase for Elvis' great voice, but not more than an ok tune. Too country'ish.
3. Long Tall Sally - Little Richard's voice is fantastic for singing rock n' roll that was made for partying. This is however not his best attempt (Lucille and Tutti Frutti are both much better).
4. In the still of the Night - ok, but a bit boring.

24:
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Seldom has any songs come near this level of raw power and energy! The combination of Cobains haunting voice, the hard-rocking, distorted guitars and the incredibly powerful drums explodes in your face everytime you hear this song!
2. Sexual Healing - Great song - so many memories
3. Monkey Gone to Heaven - very nice song - great bass and lovely loose guitars.
4. Family Affair - mediocre - unique though - in all it's mediocrity

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - This is the only solid contender for a best song in this bracket. No dumb lyrics, still relevant and no Morrissey.
2. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - Silly words but fun song. I always appreciate a sax solo too.
3. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - Even if Morrissey someday learns to write a melody he'll never be capable of singing it.
4. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - Decent song but even Elvis sounds bored singing it.

BRACKET 22
1. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) - Few pre-Beatles songs are more exciting than this bit of R&B/rock n' roll improv.
2. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - Lovely harmonies. The most haunting summer song.
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - Good song but how much love can you give to a cover, even if it was donated by Bowie?
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - 80's synth-pop crap.

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - Solid vocal performance with an unforgettable string arrangement.
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - This is the single that kicked it all off.
3. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - Most Little Richard I find irrelevant. Folks have done so much more since him, and he doesn't have anything against Chuck Berry.
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - This song would sound so much better without the asthmatic backup singers.

BRACKET 24
1. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - 2 great bands, 2 of their most overrated tracks. Still I'd put this on before SLTS any day, even if just for the if man is 5, the devil is 6, then god is 7 line. Besides, this is the only Pixies track in the competition. I'm not letting them die this easily.
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - I usually skip past this track when I play Nevermind and start right at In Bloom. It's literate, fun, representative, has a great video, smart drumming and is a good pick for ultimate grunge anthem, put do we really need almost 6 minutes of hello hello hello I don't know?
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) - TARGO isn't my favourite Sly album but this is easily the stand-out track from it. Drugged-out funk.
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - Like everyone else is pointing out it's almost a crime to put this song #4 but it's my least favourite of the classic Marvin tracks.

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” - Probably overrated, but is still pretty amazing. The trifecta of great production, lyrics and performance.
2. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” - A cool '50s track, but not that great.
3. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” - I like the Smiths, but they're still one of the most overrated bands (especially by the Brit press) of all time.
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” - Not one of the best examples of girl band music from the early '60s. It's no "Be My Baby."

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” - With all the harmonies, it certainly is dreamy, but wins this bracket my default.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” - For some reason, the word of the day from me seams to be overrated. Still fun, though.
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” - Not one of the best songs Bowie ever wrote, but it's pretty good.
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” - I quite like this '80s new wave track, and in this bracket (a very mediocre one) all of the songs are very closely grouped, but somebody's gotta finish fourth.

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” - A soaring ballad. In a word: beautiful
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” - With that Southern drawl, can anyone sing the word Mama better than Elvis?
3. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” - I'm more of a guitar guy than a piano guy, so I'll usually take Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly over Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. It's still a good song, though.
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” - I'd probably recognize it if I heard it, but it doesn't come to mind now.

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Ditto everything everyone else who put them No. 1 said. Great entrance line to a party: "Here we are now, entertain us."
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” - Cool, drugged-out funk. Best track on an album that works better as a whole.
3. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” - Perfect companion song to "Let's Get It On," but I preffer that earlier classic.
4. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” - I really like the Pixies, and this is obviously a very good song. However, I've always preferred them over the course of an entire album where the mass of their songs has a greater impact. Taken individually, I don't find their songs as powerful. Wouldn't be last in any of this week's other brackets.

Bracket 21

1)The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out:As clear as day the best song in the bracket by easily the greatest band of the 80s
2)Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel:Probably my 2nd favourite song by the King
3)Crystals - Da Doo Ron Ron:Phil Spector magic
4)Gnarls Barkley - Crazy:Well half decent but doesn't foot it with the 3 above - I'm absolutely dumbfounded to see others putting this at number 1 and if this wins the bracket - well this game becomes a joke

Bracket 22
1)Ray Charles - What'd I Say:Great vocals,great rhythm - one hell of a song
2)Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' - Heavenly melody and harmonies
3)Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes:Great Bowie track that he decided to pass off
4)Soft Cell - Tainted Love:Not a particularly strong song in my eyes

Bracket 23 - weak as
1)Ben E King - Stand Me:A soul standard,equally enjoy John Lennon's version
2)Little Richard - Long Tall Sally:Probably my favourite Little Richard song
3)Elvis Presley - That's All Right:First rockn'roll song? Maybe but doesn't do a lot for me
4)Five Satins - In The Still Of The Night:Off key vocals

Bracket 24
1)Sly & The Family Stone:Great piece of funk,one of my favourites
2)Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit:Well don't agree with it's place at #4 on AM but pretty classic all the same
3)Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven:The lyrics mean nothing to me - it's probably overrated but still a great song
4)Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing:Man,I hate to put this at #4 - great song - higher in many brackets

BRACKET 21

An unusual bracket for me as there isn’t really one song here I genuinely like – not to say I actively dislike everything here (Morrissey can take a hike, mind you), but there’s nothing I’d cross the street to hear either.

1. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) I’m giving it to the king even though I’m fairly indifferent to the song because he really was a wonderfully gifted vocalist, truly one of the finest that we’ve had in rock music to this day.
2. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) This was a massive hit as I recall, but I don’t watch tv or listen to the radio so I actually had to go back and listen to this to remind me what it sounded like. It is a great pop song – not something I’ll likely be inclined to return to myself, but its appeal is undeniable.
3. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) I love the Spector/girl group sound, but I really don’t care for this style of song. it feels like a novelty track to me.
4. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) This is one of the few Smiths songs that I will admit is musically undeniable – lovely melody with understated and completely appropriate orchestration. If it didn’t feature that prancing, mincing, contemptible wimp’s singing it would be a masterpiece. But it does have him, and it therefore sickens me.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) It’s all about the melody – to quote mark prindle, “CHERISH THE MELODY!!!” One of the most instantly appealing songs of all time to my ears.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) A winner in any other group, but I love California Dreaming too much not to give it the number one.
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) Love Mott, and love this song, but the competition’s tough here.
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) Effete UK Synth-wimps generally do not lift my skirt, but this is a classic of its type. How is Marc Almond these days? I’d heard that he was in quite a serious car accident some time back.

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) One of rock’s most elegant ballads. Dave Marsh said it was as timeless as a simple black dress, and I couldn’t put it any better myself. The introduction is one of the most perfect moments in the world to me.
2. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) I first heard this song in the film Dead Ringers and I instantly fell in love with it. It’s such a dense, rolling sound – it sounds slightly surreal to me to this day for some reason that I cannot pinpoint.
3. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) Another classic Elvis song that I’m slightly indifferent to. Perhaps this is one song that ought to be rated #1 solely for what it meant, for its impact, but I just don’t love it the way I love Stand By me.
4. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) I don’t like slotting this one last, but this is another touch bracket.

BRACKET 24

1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) A inconstant, trippy beat and a vocal that practically screams ‘smacked out’ makes this one of the best documentations of man completely overtaken by drugs but still thriving (for the moment, anyway) on pure talent.
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) One of the songs that will stand as a marker. I always think of Like a Rolling Stone as a point of comparison – both songs signaled a major shift in pop music, and they are probably the two hardest-rocking songs ever to get near the top of the charts.
3. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) Very nice, but I don’t really go for Marvin’s loverman schtick. Give me the Motown singles and What’s Going On and I’ll be totally on board, however.
4. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) What can I say? Everybody loves them, but I’ve always been fairly indifferent to them. Gigantic aside, I think they’re a run-of-the-mill, ordinary indie-rock band.

BRACKET 21
1- Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy”
2- Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel”
3- The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron”
4- The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”

BRACKET 22
1- The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’”
2- Soft Cell, “Tainted Love”
3- Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes”
4- Ray Charles, “What’d I Say”

BRACKET 23
1- Ben E. King, “Stand By Me”
2- Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)”
3- Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally”
4- The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night”

BRACKET 24
1- Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
2- Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing”
3- Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven”
4- Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair”

We're gonna need motivation lagire.

BRACKET 21
221. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”
- This is a wonderful Smiths song. One of their absolute best.
36. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy”
- I was a bit tired of this, but now when I haven't heard it in a while, it doesn't sound so bad.
164. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron”
- Definitely not the best Crystals song.
93. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel”
- I love Elvis, but this is not his greatest.

BRACKET 22
228. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes”
- The winner of a really strong heat. Love this one.
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love”
- Love this one as well. Excellent.
100. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’”
- Sheer brilliance, but doesn't quite make it in this really strong heat.
29. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say”
- I'm ashamed to say, but I can't remember this song.

BRACKET 23
68. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)”
- Very good early Elvis.
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night”
- This one is beautiful.
189. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally”
- It's ok
61. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me”
- I don't like it.

BRACKET 24
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
- The sound of my early teens. I loved it then, and it still sounds good.
253. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven”
- One of the Pixies songs I like best.
132. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair”
- It's alright.
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing”
- I'm no fan of the Gaye man.

BRACKET 21
1. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - I love the Smiths. The "double-decker bus" line is hilarious - as are many of their songs.
2. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - The King holds up nicely.
3. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - Nice catchy tune for now days.
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - Not my cup of tea.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - This is the easy winner. Still sounds fairly fresh after many listens. Love the guitar intro.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) - Great 50's R&B
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - cool tune.
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - I like all the songs in this bracket, but this one is really a period piece - 80's new wave pop.

BRACKET 23
1. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - The birth of Rock and Roll - because it was so good.
2. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - Good arrangement, vocals, tune.
3. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - Nice 50's pop tune.
4. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - Not my favorite Little Richard song.

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - I'm not a huge grunge fan, but this one can't be denied.
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - Great tune from a band I saw in my favorite bar way back when.
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) - I never got the hype here.
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - Waiting for "Let's Get It On" to put Marvin in the #1 spot.

B21
1. Crazy
2. There Is A Light
3. Da Doo Ron Ron
4. Don't Be Cruel

B22:
1. What'd I Say
2. All The Young Dudes
3. California Dreamin'
4. Tainted Love

B23:
1. That's All Right
2. In The Still Of The Nite
3. Stand By Me
4. Long Tall Sally

B24:
1. Sexual Healing
2. Family Affair
3. Smells Like Teen Spirit
4. Monkey Gone To Heaven

Hey netjade you have to explain your choices or they won't count.

Also, a lot of folks are calling That's All Right Mama the birth of rock n' roll. Just so you know most historians consider 1951's Rocket 88 by Ike Turner to be the actual first rock n' roll recording.

First rock and roll record:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_rock_and_roll_record

Both "Rocket 88" and "That's All Right (Mama)" are listed as candidates for the title of first rock n' roll song. Rolling Stone actually declared Elvis' song as the first r&r song, but really, what do they know.

It's a neverending debate. Either song can be given the title.

That's All Right (Mama) might not be the first rock and roll music to have been recorded, but it's recording gave birth to rock and roll as a musical genre and cultural phenomenon.

Some even argue that it was Wynonie Harris's version of Roy Brown's "Good Rockin' Tonight", but beside, I don't SERIOUSLY have to explain the personal choice of my rankings while reading preceding comments that more or less exactly apply to them, do I?! If so, just copy the most fitting explanations and add some more adjectives to them... that might just do it

Them's the rules. No comments, doesn't count.

Oh my

From schleuse's rules:
"Although anyone can vote, for a ballot to be eligible you must briefly explain your choices."

In other words, everyone's free to post their lists without comments.

Thanks Henrik

can't wait for future polls on AM that require personal records, CGC's and letters of recommendation

BRACKET 21
1. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)
2. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)
3. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006)
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965)
2. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972)
3. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959)
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981)

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961)
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954)
3. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956)
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956)

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991)
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989)
3. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982)
4. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971)

Umm...to be fair, Netjade, the requirement for explanations is completely my responsibility. Your ire about that should be directed at me, not Henrik.

However, I absolutely loved the comments you made with your rankings a couple of weeks ago. You are inimitable, and I hope you'll continue to participate...bracketology would be poorer without you.

I just sat down and read this entire thread at one go--good comments this week (thanks especially to Anthony for the Wikipedia article reference...very cool).

I'm noticing a pattern lately: each of the last two weeks, there's been a major upset by a song which
features particularly beautiful harmonizing...and it looks like we're headed for another upset by another 60s harmony-fest this week (if anyone needs reminding, I'm talking about "I Get Around," "Sound of Silence," and "California Dreamin'").

Don't really have a point here, just thought it was interesting. Perhaps it's a good thing that "I Want It That Way" isn't in the tournament (just kidding).

I think people prefer the pleasant over the progressive, especially in hindsight.

BRACKET 21:
1. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)
2. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006)
3. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)
4. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)

TIALTNGO is a poignant, hilarious, beautiful slice of nihilistic romantic longing at its best. Probably the most gorgeous song The Smiths ever cut.

"Crazy" is really cool, has a lot going for it. DDRR boasts a sound melody, and DBC is nice enough, but not a favourite Presley number by any means.

BRACKET 22:
1. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972)
2. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965)
3. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981)
4. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959)

ATYD is a vintage Bowie-penned classic, done proper. CD is a lovely song, always a smile-giver. TL is certainly one of the great synth-pop tunes of the '80s, but WIS is no favourite of Ray's.

BRACKET 23:
2. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956)
3. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954)

"Stand By Me" is full-on gorgeuous, and "Long Tall Sally" is fuckin' rockin' - love them vocals. "That's All Right" is fun - good melody, and ITSOTN doesn't really light my fire.

BRACKET 24:
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991)
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989)
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971)
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982)

SLTS is wonderful, a real mission statement. MGTH is similarly fantastic. "Family Affair" is cool, but "Sexual Healing" is a pretty darn weak synth-pop number from a man who could do far better (I've recently picked up Hear, My Dear, and from start-to-finish it kicks the ass of "Sexual Healing" hands down).

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - The idea that no current songs can match the classics of the past is, well … crazy. Here’s the proof, a brilliant record that so thoroughly permeated the air last year that other artists began covering the song in concert almost immediately. Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse are an inspired partnership, and this was the centerpiece of an instant-classic album.
2. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - Morrissey and company at their best, the finest example of Moz’s perverse ability to make you laugh at the over-the-top sentiments and yet feel them deeply at the same time. Plus it steals the “Hitch-Hike”/”There She Goes Again” riff and actually does something original with it.
3. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - An unstoppable force of a single; this was where the Wall was perfected.
4. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - One half of the greatest two-sided hit of all time. But it’s the lesser half. On its own terms, it’s near-perfect, but it’s still #4 in this bracket.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - Initially I assumed “What’d I Say” would be an automatic #1; then I applied my standard “what would I most like to hear right now” test and discovered that I’d rather hear this shimmering masterpiece more than almost every other song in all -four- of these brackets (with two exceptions, both in bracket #4, damn the luck). Absolutely gorgeous harmonies, some of the best ever recorded.
2. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) - Sorry, Brother Ray. But being #2 doesn’t take away from what a groundbreaking record this is. And it still sounds pretty daring, from the extra-lengthy electric piano intro to those audaciously frank call-and-response vocals in part 2.
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - Bowie was on such a roll in ‘72 that he could well afford to give this song away. It’s still hilarious to hear macho Ian Hunter intone some of the gayest lyrics ever written, and a pre-Bad Company Mick Ralphs could give Bowie’s own Mick R. a run for his money as a glam-rock guitar god.
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - Brilliant, insidious and inescapable, but so overplayed for the last 25 years that it can’t help but lose some of its freshness.

BRACKET 23
1. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - An unusually concentrated bracket in terms of time span and overall feel. I don’t feel particularly jazzed by any of these choices, to be honest, but Richard wins on sheer manic energy.
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - The birth of rock ‘n’ roll, at least for anyone smart enough to realize it at the time. Not my favorite Sun Elvis - any of the other four A-sides would beat it, as would “Tryin’ to Get to You” - but essential by any standards. (Gratuitous note to Henrik, once again - THE SUN SESSIONS deserves to be included as an album!)
3. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - Quintessential doo-wop. It ranks above #4 simply because I’m not as tired of hearing it.
4. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - This has been so shamelessly overexposed that it’s easy to forget what an amazing record it is, in every respect. But that would require listening to it, and I’m unfortunately at the point where I change the station when it comes on the radio. Sad but true.

BRACKET 24
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - No question. There are very few “before and after” songs in the history of modern music; this is one of them. When I first heard it on the radio, I immediately understood what everyone had been talking about, and I couldn’t wait to hear it again. And, oddly enough, this is one overplayed song that I -don’t- ever get tired of listening to.
2. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - Boy, does this pain me. I love the Pixies, particularly this album and its predecessor. I love this song, especially the man-devil-God countoff after Joe rocks us on Frank’s command. But it’s up against “Teen Spirit” - which, as has been elegantly pointed out here, wouldn’t even exist without this band. It‘s enough to make you slice up eyeballs.
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) - The most stoned-sounding #1 single of all time, from the most stoned-sounding album of all time, a shocking plummet to earth after the Family’s first few euphoric years. The bottom’s dropped out, there’s a riot goin’ on, and the blood’s thicker than the mud. When Sly screams toward the end, what was once a shout of joy sounds more like a death rattle.
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - A deserving final smash hit from an all-time great, but really a minor entry in his ambitious catalog.

BRACKET 21
36. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - Very good atmosphere.
164. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - Lot's of undeserved 4th spots for this one. It's energetic, and it has a sax solo.
221. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - Ok, but it's no Frankly Mr Shankly. :)
93. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - Mediocre Elvis

BRACKET 22
29. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) -My favorite Ray Charles tune. Later inferiorly ripped off in "Money (That's What I Want)"
100. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - On another day I might give this the top spot. Very close race.
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - I prefer one of the heavy covers, instead of this 80s sound.
228. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - Not in league with the rest of this bracket.

BRACKET 23
61. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - The 4th most performed song of all time, I just read on wikipedia.
68. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - The birth of rock with no drums? Second place for you.
189. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - Another sax solo! This is sax week. The rest of the song is not as good though.
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - Boring

BRACKET 24
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - Easy winner, and one of my favorite songs ever.
253. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - Why not Where Is My Mind or Bone Machine? Still, it gets second place.
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - I don't get Marvin Gaye. And this is not even near his best work.

BRACKET 21
36. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) - Very good atmosphere.
164. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) - Lot's of undeserved 4th spots for this one. It's energetic, and it has a sax solo.
221. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) - Ok, but it's no Frankly Mr Shankly. :)
93. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) - Mediocre Elvis

BRACKET 22
29. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) -My favorite Ray Charles tune. Later inferiorly ripped off in "Money (That's What I Want)"
100. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) - On another day I might give this the top spot. Very close race.
157. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) - I prefer one of the heavy covers, instead of this 80s sound.
228. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) - Not in league with the rest of this bracket.

BRACKET 23
61. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) - The 4th most performed song of all time, I just read on wikipedia.
68. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) - The birth of rock with no drums? Second place for you.
189. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) - Another sax solo! This is sax week. The rest of the song is not as good though.
196. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) - Boring

BRACKET 24
4. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) - Easy winner, and one of my favorite songs ever.
253. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) - Why not Where Is My Mind or Bone Machine? Still, it gets second place.
125. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) - I don't get Marvin Gaye. And this is not even near his best work.

Bracket 21
I’ve been listening closely to each and every song before posting
1. THE SMITHS, “THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT”: ****: I have to admit I didn’t know that song.. and what a surprise ! First big surprise of these brackets; and a great influence for one of my favorite bands : The Divine Comedy
2. ELVIS PRESLEY, “DON’T BE CRUEL” *** : far from being my favorite King song, but still it’s number 2. The beginning of the end for Presley.
3. GNARLS BARKLEY, “CRAZY”*** : good, catchy pop-soul tune, but can’t match even a declining Elvis.
4. THE CRYSTALS, “DA DOO RON RON” *** : maybe it suffers because of the horrible cover made by a French singer (whom I don't remember) in the 60’s.

Bracket 22
1. RAY CHARLES, “WHAT’D I SAY”*****: One of my 10 favorite songs ever. I’ve been listening to it for 25 years and I still get the chills when I play it.
2. SOFT CELL, “TAINTED LOVE”****: Big surprise # 2 : I thought I hated that song (reminds me bourgeois parties in france in the 90s) but in fact it’s the contrary (specially the long version with its Motown-like final part)
3. MOTT THE HOOPLE, “ALL THE YOUNG DUDES”***: sounds like the 12th track from Ziggy Stardust; the only difference : it's not Bowie singing
4. THE MAMAS AND THE PAPAS, “CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’”: I thought I loved that song but I played it on 2 different occasions this week and .. nothing happened.

Bracket 23 (This one’s a killer, it has 2 of my favorite 50’s song, and the third was in the previous bracket)
1. LITTLE RICHARD, “LONG TALL SALLY”***** : Pure, sheer rock’n roll energy. Truly, I almost weeped
2. ELVIS PRESLEY, “THAT’S ALL RIGHT (MAMA)” ***** : My favorite Elvis song, simple, full of soul and ingenuousness. And what a guitar part ! Almost sounds like a demo, and that’s what I like
3. BEN E. KING, “STAND BY ME”****: simply beautiful. I love soul music.
4. THE FIVE SATINS, “IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT”*** : Pleasant but far behind.

Bracket 24

1. NIRVANA, “SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT” ***** : Pure rock’n roll energy. A true classic and more than that.
2. MARVIN GAYE, “SEXUAL HEALING” *** : Far behind. I’m not particularly bothered by that 80’s sound (I think r&b artists did better in the 80’s than synth-pop). What a message ! that’s why it’s number two (a tight game for number 2)
3. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE, “FAMILY AFFAIR”*** : not my favorite track on this album (I prefer “Running Away or “Smilin’”)
4. PIXIES, “MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN” *** : not my favorite track on this album.
(I prefer “Here comes your man” or “Mr Grieves)

BRACKET 21
1. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986): easy choice this time, this song is (and always will be) in my Top Ten, the update of romanticism for the current times. And I can see that Mozzer needs more love in this forum…
2. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006): one of this infrequent instant classics in which everyone seems to agree.
3. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963): Spector asked ‘Is it dumb enough?’ during the recording of the song to Sonny Bono (meaning, in Bono’s words, “will the simplicity of the hook cut through everything and grab them?”). At the end of the recording Bono said ‘Man, that’s sure is dumb enough’. ‘No, Sonny’, Spector said, “That’s gold. That’s solid gold coming out of that speaker’ (taken from the liner notes of “Back to Mono”).
4. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956): not Elvis best, but one of the two songs that Otis Blackwell agreed to co-credit as composer with Elvis (although Otis was the only author). The other one was the (even better) “All Shook Up”.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965): one of these style and era-defining songs. It opened (well, after a brief snippet of the Woodstock audience singing “Let the Sunshine In”) a compilation of sunshine pop I’ve recorded as a gift to some friends (Dumbangel, I could send you the track listing if you want it).
2. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981): the early 80s synth-pop at its best, still can’t fail now at a party.
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972): a nice Bowie song from the period in which he not only made his own masterpieces but even was able to re-launch the careers of Lou Reed and Ian Hunter.
3. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959): nice song but suffering from over-exposure.

BRACKET 23
1. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954): the first? the second? Anyway, a great song. And it doesn’t need drums, the clicks produced by Bill Black frantic bass playing were a perfect substitute.
2. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961): talking about over-exposure, that’s the song. Anyway it still sounds great.
3. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956): he knew how to crack his voice.
4. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956): nice doo-wop ballad, but four.

BRACKET 24
Probably the toughest bracket (since the 17). All four songs made my Top 200 two years ago, so I’ll remain true to my previous votes. I can’t find arguments in this bracket, I’m sorry but the four are that good…
1. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989).
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971).
3. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991).
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982).

Howdy, all.

Looks like we have a fairly good chance of a tie this week--currently, two brackets feature a tie for first place. I know more ballots will come in, so this may not matter, but I wanted to remind everyone of the tiebreaker procedure (after all, this is bracketology, not the Florida election comission).

As it stands now, in case of a tie, the song which is ranked higher on a majority of ballots wins. Now, there's a chance that the two songs will still be tied, so I hereby propose to use three more tiebreakers, thus:

1. In case of a tie, the song ranked higher on a majority of ballots wins.
2. If songs are still tied after step 1, the song with more #1 votes wins.
3. If songs are still tied after step 2, the song with more #2 votes wins.
4. If songs are still tied after step 3, the song with the FEWEST #4 votes wins.

This is the best system I could think of; if anybody has any suggestions between now and Saturday, let me know. I know this is boring housekeeping stuff, but it's better than making up rules on the fly...

Rule 5 (if needed, most likely not): The song ranked highest in bracketology maestro schleuse's ballot wins.

ahem.

I am not particularly good at picking winners, actually...ten of my songs (out of 20) have advanced to the next round, but ten voters have done better than I have:

15: jonmarck
14: marc
13: Harold Wexler, Mo
12: Midaso, sweedishchef, twister
11: Honorio, Pomtidom, Rocky Raccoon

...and Henrik and I are tied with 10.

BTW, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm gonna run my own personal tournament on the side...in my world, Patsy, Jerry Lee, Jack White, and Chuck & Flava are still alive & kicking.

Once again, love the brakets. Here goes...

BRACKET 21 (weak bracket, by the way)
1) Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) (i like the bop bops of the background singers. they make me happy.)
2) Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) (this is beginning to feel like not the genius song that i thought it was last summer. However, the production is wonderful. I love Cee-Lo, but I've enjoyed other stuff by him better.)
3) The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) (i like the Smiths sound. I just cannever get into their songs. Don't know why.)
4) The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) (Some days this song annoys me, some days i enjoy it. Today it annoys me.)

BRACKET 22 (strong-ish bracket. All good, no stand out)
1) Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) (one of his finest songs.)
2) Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) (Because I danced to this song a lot in college, and never really tired of doing so)
3) The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) (Makes me think of Chungking Express)
4) Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) (Can't believe I'm putting a Bowie song this low. Maybe if Bowie performed it I would have put it at the top.)

BRACKET 23 (old bracket)
1) Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) (I looooved this song when the movie came out and I was 12.)
2) Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) (I'm actually not a big Elvis fan, so surprised to have him no. 1 in one bracket, and no. 2 in another. Elvis kinda creeps up on you like that)
3) Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) (I find Little Richard's voice to alternate between riveting and meandering, sometimes in the course of a few seconds. It kinda bugs me. I think it's just me, but there it is.)
4) The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) (Thanksgiving Weekend, sitting in the back seat coming home from my grandparents, my parents always had the WCBS-NY countdown of the greatest oldies on. This always was in the top 3, and it bugged me because there were so many better songs in the world, like anything by the Police or Men at Work. Putting them 4th here is my revenge.)

BRACKET 24 (Super bracket)
1) Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) (because, Pixies and Nirvana, "blood is thicker than the mud". Which I take to mean funk is better than grunge. See, Sly is commanding me to put him at No. 1. One simply does not disobey Sly.)
2) Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) (the counting interlude is fantastic)
3) Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) (considered puting it lower for strategic reasons, but that's not fair. And those Nirvana boys were nice boys. The video was stupid, though, and no one can tell me any different.)
4) Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) (his most overrated song.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that The Smiths can hold out 'Crazy' - if not,it will feel awfully like one of the best teams in the NBA losing in a last second buzzer-beater to some mediocre team...

BRACKET 21
1. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986) Simply magnificent. A double decker bus crashes into this bracket and wins, solidly.
2. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006) 2006 5 letter song getting way too much airplay C-R-A-Z-Y. Crazy is coming back to me now. I think it will be looked at as a classic in the future, honestly. 2007's 5 letter song title getting way too much airplay. R-E-H-A-B. Future ranking: Undecided.
3. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956) Good Elvis tune, but I can't help but think of the lame Cheap Trick version, which leads me to my top 100 most hated songs. The Flame.
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963) I'm snapping my fingers and bobbing my head, but it's not moving this one out of 4th in this bracket.

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965) Reminds me of autumn, every time I hear it and I can't help but sing along which means this gem moves on. Great harmony.
2. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972) David Bowie could do no wrong in 72, could he?
3. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959) I honestly do not know much in Ray's catalogue, but what I do know I like, but can't favor.
4. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981) Falling off the radar as years go by. Once loved it, especially backed w/ Where Did Our Love Go?, now nothing distinguishes it from some other 80's synth pop at the time. Where's Depeche Mode-Just Can't Get Enough when you need it!

BRACKET 23
1. Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961) Easily wins this bracket. Should be 1 of 100 songs they teach you in elementary school.
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954) With Elvis, I'm holding out for Suspicious Minds for a top spot.
3. The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956) I enjoy the Whitesnake cover of this song. That David Cover...oh, wrong one. Not my bag.
4. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956) As long as he is doing Geico commercials, I can't take LR seriously. Like Tutti Frutti better.

BRACKET 24 (Toughest bracket yet.)
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991) I just can't move this out of #1, even though I enjoy a few of their songs even more. It's like saying Florida or OSU weren't moving to the 2nd round of the 2007 tourney.
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971) But I'd much rather here this piece of sludged funk at the bar. It's remarkable this song ever hit #1 in '71, absolutely love it.
3. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989) And now one of my favorites from '89 suffers to a #3. Someone posted that Pixies albums are more enjoyable so I'm going with that philosophy. If the devil is 6, the Pixies are 3rd.
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982) I still like Sexual Healing a lot, you can't help but recognize it and smile. Then John Mayer comes along and rips it and gets a Grammy. Damn you John Mayer.

"I'll keep my fingers crossed that The Smiths can hold out 'Crazy' - if not,it will feel awfully like one of the best teams in the NBA losing in a last second buzzer-beater to some mediocre team..."

More like the pompous, overrated, self-absorbed team getting a fair humbling from young, enthusiastic upstarts. I'm still getting over Dylan's loss last week to the Ronettes. One point! Just one! That's so much more emotionally devastating than the Impressions loss to Led Zeppelin the week before.

Just like it phurts me to see my heroes, the Pilgrim Fathers of rock'n roll (Little Richard, Ray Charles, James Brown) getting regular 3rd or 4th position
Hard to be a traditionalist these days..

BRACKET 21
1. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out - I totally agree with Midaso that it should be sad if something crazy would happen to this song!!
2. Don’t Be Cruel - Elvis lives! ;)
3. Crazy - Very nice song. I had doubts putting it on 2 or 3.
4. Da Doo Ron Ron - Keeps in my head, funny song. But just fun, nothing more.

BRACKET 22
1. California Dreamin’ - Playing this will bring the sun out!
2. Tainted Love - Eightees suck? Well, not all of them!
3. All the Young Dudes - Bowie!
4. What’d I Say - I just like this less than the other three

BRACKET 23
1. Stand By Me - Brilliant. Overplayed, but brilliant.
2. That’s All Right (Mama) - Elvis just left the building ;)
3. Long Tall Sally - I also like tutti frutti more.
4. In the Still of the Night - Also nice. SOmeone must be 4th though.

BRACKET 24
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - ... (speechless)
2. Monkey Gone to Heaven - No.2, but maybe Gigantic will win it's bracket.
3. Family Affair - I saw Sly live last weekend. Groovy song, but not at Nirvana's level.
4. Sexual Healing - Nice song, and nice lyrics. Little bit overrated.

Gracias al traductor de Google. Thants to Google translate (Honorio no me ha podido ayudar esta semana)(Honorio has not been able to help this week to me)

BRACKET 21
1,- Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006), begins with a great phrase and when it finishes already is classic
2,- The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963), contagious melody and background noise
3,- The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986), precious but I believe that the passage of time is making it too languid
4,- Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956), for being first it invented “the star of the rock”: the way to sing, provocative look, the rebellious attitude…

BRACKET 22
1,- Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959), somebody could improve a single note of this song?
2,- Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981), one of the best covers of always
3,- Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972), as credible as when his author sings
4,- The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965), pity that the instrumental part is so anodyne because the melody is very pretty

BRACKET 23
1,- Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956), lesson of how shouting
2, - Ben E. King, “Stand By Me” (1961), lesson of how pleading
3,- Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954), lesson of how singing
4,- The Five Satins, “In the Still of the Night” (1956), a little simple but pleasant

BRACKET 24
1,- Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971), from removed to Gnarls Barkley here great part of their inspiration
2,- Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982), much class
3,- Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989), when I began to be a little tired the rock arrived the Pixies and I reenlisted
4,- Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991), as already it had to the Pixies in my life, I never needed to Nirvana

BRACKET 21
1. Gnarls Barkley, “Crazy” (2006)
2. The Smiths, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” (1986)
3. Elvis Presley, “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)
4. The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron” (1963)

I love "Crazy", so laid-back and groovy at the same time.
"There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" is beautiful, the highlight of "The Queen Is Dead".
Big jump down to "Don't Be Cruel" at #3, but nice Hawaiian ending.
"Da Doo Ron Ron" is far from a "Be My Baby".

BRACKET 22
1. The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’” (1965)
2. Soft Cell, “Tainted Love” (1981)
3. Mott the Hoople, “All the Young Dudes” (1972)
4. Ray Charles, “What’d I Say” (1959)

All the love for "California Dreamin'" has kept me warm all week.
"Tainted Love" is a brilliant soundtrack of an excellent decade. Amazing update on Gloria Jones' original.
"All the Young Dudes" is like the quintessential 70s song. At the same time it has The Beatles all over it.
"What'd I Say" is not my Ray fav.

BRACKET 23
2. Elvis Presley, “That’s All Right (Mama)” (1954)
3. Little Richard, “Long Tall Sally” (1956)

I tried to sing "Stand By Me" with a friend in the Metro of Paris. We loved it but surely destroyed it.
Elvis voice on "That's All Right (Mama)" is candy for the ears.
"Long Tall Sally": Rock'n'Roll! #3 in a tough heat.
"In the Still of the Night" is just OK, I'm waiting for The Flamingos.

BRACKET 24
1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Family Affair” (1971)
2. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (1991)
3. Pixies, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” (1989)
4. Marvin Gaye, “Sexual Healing” (1982)

A bracket full of great artists, represented by great songs. Yet none of them are my personal favourites.
"Family Affair" is sadly the only Sly song we get in this game. That automatically puts this at #1. I really miss the singles from "Stand!".
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is not a stand-out Nirvana song for me.
"Monkey Gone to Heaven" is not a stand-out Pixies song for me.
Marvin gave us "Sexual Healing" in the 80s, but he was sexier in the 70s.

BRACKET #21

1 - Crazy - I wonder if I still like it over 10 years but by now it beats the rest in this bracket
2 - There is a light that never goes out - Not their best but good enough for a number 2 position
3 - Don't be cruel - Nice song by Elvis but it doesn't come close to the other two
4 - Da doo run run - My wife's favourite. (That says enough)

BRACKET #22
1 - California dreaming - One of these songs I never get tired of
2 - What i'd say - Close finish. California dreaming is just a little bit better
3 - Tainted love - This used to be one of my favourites in the 80's
4 - All the young dudes - The song as well as the band doesn't mean very much to me

BRACKET #23

1 - Stand by me - Easy number one in this week's weakest bracket
2 - That's all right mama - He made better songs but this was a good one to start with
3 - Long tall sally - Just another 50's rock & roll song. Nothing special to me
4 - In the still of the night - I listened to it for several times but I just don't get it

BRACKET #24

1 - Monkey gone to heaven - I don't like everything from the pixies but this is truly a masterpiece, best song this week
2 - Smells like teen spirit - A bit overrated (or over-hyped) to my opinion but still a great song
3 - Sexual healing - Good song but by far not at the level of the songs on 'Let's get it on', 'What's going on' and 'Here, my dear'
4 - Family affair - By far the weakest song in this strong bracket. They made much better songs especialy on their Stand!-album

Here we go!

Bracket 21:

1. The Smiths- "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out"- While it isn't my favorite from the Smiths (that honor goes to "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"), I do view it as their pinnacle- wonderfully dramatic.

2. Gnarls Barkley- "Crazy"- This is a surefire classic and I feel it has great staying power. The soulful, haunting voices in the background clinch it for me!

3. Elvis- "Don't Be Cruel"- I'm not a big fan of Elvis, but this is one of his more tolerable songs for me.

4. The Crystals- "Da Doo Ron Ron"- As opposed to this...

Bracket 22:

1. Soft Cell- "Tainted Love"- GREAT reinvention of a Northern Soul classic. It has become the definitive version and one of the quintessential songs of the 80s.

2. Mott the Hoople- "All the Young Dudes"- I prefer Bowie's version, but this packs a hell of an emotional punch.

3. Ray Charles- "What I'd Say"- Fucking classic! Ray is a bit underrated here, I feel, and would have fared better for me in another bracket.

4. The Mamas and the Papas- "California Dreamin'"- I've never liked this song.

Bracket 23: Touch choices!

1. Ben E. King- "Stand By Me"- wonderfully touching ode to staying tried and true to a loved one.

2. Little Richard- "Long Tall Sally"- Like Ray Charles, Little Richard is a bit underrated here I feel. Great artist and a great song.

3. The Five Satins- "In the Still of the Night"- beautiful ballad, but not quite as powerful as the first two for me.

4. Elvis- "That's All Right"- It just can't compete with the top 3 for me.

Bracket 24:

1. Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- Although I hated grunge, I did quite like Nirvana. The ripples of the impact of this song resonate just as powerfully today.

2. Sly and the Family Stone- "Family Affair"- That funk could last me for days!!!!

3. Pixies- "Monkey Gone to Heaven"- I know it's sacrilege to some to rank them below Nirvana, but there's some block for me when it comes to the Pixies that I hope to break someday.

4. Marvin Gaye- "Sexual Healing"- This song gets all of the love, but there are so many better and sexier songs in his catalog. It has become a cliche!