The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 4

Was it anybody else, or do thinking about the older songs in this bracket just make you smile?

As good as the more modern songs were for their particular time, they just seem overproduced, agressive, and impersonal compared to extremely listenable and timeless 50s and 60s songs.

BRACKET 13

1. "All I Have to Do Is Dream" - What harmonizing and unique delivery.
2. "Rock Around the Clock" - One of the few songs that started the whole rock n' roll thing
3. "Crazy in Love" Eh.. good singing, but I can't remember how catchy the melody was.
4. "Fire and Rain" Dated and so boring. James Taylor's music makes you feel so old.

BRACKET 14
Wow, these are all equally good
1. "I Get Around" - I think all Beach Boys songs branched out from this staple.
2. "Great Balls of Fire" - "Combines the best of emerging rock with country elements.
3. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - Classic Supremes.. a little bit overproduced and distant compared to other Supremes songs
4. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - Sorry, this song is last because its overplayed, simplistic, and has a status based on its Ed Sullivan hype rather than it being a good stand alone song.

BRACKET 15

1. "I Can't Explain" - Early song by my favorite classic rock band. Blows the others away.
2. "Whole Lotta Shaking Goin' On" - More Jerry Lee Lewis this week. Same charms as Great Balls of Fire
3. "Paint it Black" - I'm sick of this being the 'dark' song played in the credits of every movie. Still prefer it to Sympathy for the Devil any day
4. "Get Ur Freak On" Catchy enough, can't hold a candle to the others. Give it a few decades maybe.

BRACKET 16
1. "Bye Bye Love" More Everlys! Gorgeous song with same charms as .."Dream"
2. "Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher and Higher" The clipped steady backing vocals give support to this uplifting song.
3. "Johnny B. Goode" Can't say I ever want to listen to this very much, but another formative song for the rock genre.
4. "Song 2" This song doesn't belong here, it's not even the best among Blur songs. Too short, with a video that will probably outlast this song as far as relevance goes.

BRACKET 13
1. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock”
2. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain”
3. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love”
4. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream”

BRACKET 14
1. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand”
2. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love”
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire”
4. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around”

BRACKET 15
1. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On”
2. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black”
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”
4. The Who, “I Can’t Explain”

BRACKET 16
1. Blur, “Song 2”
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
3. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher”
4. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love”

Despite the fact I check this forum semi-regularly, I’ve managed to completely miss out on this game up to this point. If a link hadn’t been placed on the main page I might have completely missed it. Great idea.

BRACKET 13
1. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958) – an effortlessly melodic song, and it’s completely timeless: it sounds as fresh as the day it was released..
2. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954) – A classic of its type, though I’ve always found it a little too cheerful.
3. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970) – I’ll usually turn to Jackson Browne if I want 70s-era navel-gazing singer-songwriter types, but this is a very fine song.
4. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003) A good modern pop song, but definitely the weakest track of this group I reckon.

BRACKET 14
1. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963) – Well, it’s certainly not the most profound song they committed to history, but the harmonies on the chorus are wonderful and I still get swept up in it every time it plays.
2. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964) – It’s fine, but I think it’s one of the lesser singles of the pre-pet sounds era.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957) – a classic, but like so many songs of that era it feels like a novelty track to me. That’s my deficiency I suppose, but I just can’t get into it.
4. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965) – The only Motown act that I actively dislike, and I particularly don’t care for this melodramatic number.

BRACKET 15
1. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965) – a great bubblegum punk song. Not quite as immortal as I Can See For Miles, but very, very good.
2. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966) – Great classic, of course, but I don’t like this track as much as most of their other singles from this era.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957) – See my comments from bracket 14 above.
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001) – I’d never heard this track until I youtubed it a few minutes back – It’s pretty cool soundwise, and I like the fact that she seemed to be wearing a motorhead shirt in the video, but musically I just can’t get into stuff like this.

BRACKET 16 A very strong batch of songs here – the Blur track is the only one that doesn’t belong, I’d say.
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958) This has to be #1, doesn’t it? It’s still the quintessential rock song of all time.
2. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967) – Exuberant, melodic and as fresh-sounding as the day it was recorded.
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957) My comments from the song above could just be copy/pasted here – just a perfect pop song.
4. Blur, “Song 2” (1997) – a mediocre novelty song in my estimation. It doesn’t belong in this company.

BRACKET 13
1. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970) - May Lester Bangs strike me dead, but I love this record and I always have. Yes, JT is kind of an uber-dweeb and has a lot of sorry music (his own and others) to answer for, but that doesn’t change the fact that this is an exquisitely arranged and performed pop single.
2. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954) - If historical importance were the main criteria, this would be an easy #1.
3. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958) - I like it just fine, but it’s not my favorite Everly song.
4. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003) - Great horn sample. The rest doesn’t do much for me.

BRACKET 14
1. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964) - This is an incredible bracket, filled (coincidentally, I assume) with four all-time oldies classics. I happen to love this one more than the others - deceptively complex melodic twists and turns, wonderful harmonies.
2. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957) - Two minutes of sheer rockabilly heaven. Long live The Killer!
3. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963) - Again, I’m cheating a bit; I probably like #4 more, but I just can’t put a Beatles song in last place (I’ll leave that to others here, who know who they are). Anyway, this of course is the one that started it all, at least on this side of the pond. Holds up fairly well on its own merits, too.
4. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965) - H-D-H, the Funk Brothers, and the girls all at their best. Encapsulates Hitsville, U.S.A. as well as any record could. It just brings up the rear here.

BRACKET 15
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966) - You know, I initially had this at #3; then I applied the “which one would I most like to hear right now?” test and surprised myself. Again, it’s all about the arrangement - verses all tension, choruses all release keyed by some of Charlie’s most explosive fills.
2. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957) - See #2 above.
3. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965) - Keith Moon’s brilliant debut single. The other guys do an OK job as well.
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001) - I don’t dislike it at all - it’s too freakin’ weird to hate - but I’ve always been mystified that it ranks so high. I much prefer “Work It”.

BRACKET 16
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958) - Historical importance meets undated musical brilliance. A truly timeless record.
2. Blur, “Song 2” (1997) - It must kill Damon that this is the song Blur is best known for, but it’s a blast of pure demented rock ‘n’ roll fun. Woo hoo!
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957) - Another great debut single, but I wish “Wake Up Little Susie” was here instead.
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967) - I’ve never been a particularly big fan of this song. I get why it’s so beloved, but it just doesn’t do it for me.

BRACKET 13
1. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954): well, Elvis was more talented, better singer and more handsome too, but Bill Haley was first. Nice contrast between the one-note sax solo and the multi-note fast guitar solo.
2. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970): I can understand why many of you dismiss this song as representative of the bland movement of early 70 singer-songwriters, but I find “Fire and Rain” one of the most shivering songs about losing a loved one.
3. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958): the ultimate dreamy song, but I prefer Orbison’s “In Dreams” and Lennon’s “#9 Dream”
4. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003): I like this song a lot (great Chi-Lites sample!), although I usually don’t like Beyoncé. Well, when I say “I don’t like Beyoncé” I mean her music, obviously.

BRACKET 14
1. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964): legendary introduction (“round, round, get around, I get around”), awesome harmony vocals, great interaction between Mike Love verses and Brian Wilson choruses and simple but effective instrumental backing that made one of the most perfect pop songs, my favourite of the pre-Pet Sounds period.
2. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963): when Dylan offered to the Beatles a marijuana joint he was surprised that it was the first time for them, he misunderstood the lyrics “I can’t hide” for “I get high”, or so the legend goes like that.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957): really powerful, Jerry Lee at his best.
4. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965): nice Motown product, but not its strongest.

BRACKET 15
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966): a great song from the period when the Stones were trying to innovate and not being formulaic.
2. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965): inside my chest there will always be a mod heart beating.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957): another fiery and brutally sexual performance from “The Killer”
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001): imaginative beat but little more.

BRACKET 16
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958): pure legend.
2. Blur, “Song 2” (1997): a song that defines the 90s sound.
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957): vocal harmonies so tight and so natural at the same time.
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967): nice piece of soul, but #4.

BRACKET 13:
1. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (195
2. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003)
3. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954)
4. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970)

A really weak bracket, in my opinion. "All I Have To Do Is Dream" is a very pretty song, though - always nice to hear in a restaurant or whathaveyou, but not something I feel the compelling need to own, all the same.

"Crazy In Love" is pretty cool - but it doesn't even need Beyonce - it's the sample, and Jay-Z's contributions that make the song.

"Rock Around The Clock" is not a song that has aged well, 50 years on. And "Fire And Rain" I'm listening to for the first time as I type this. It may well be the last time, too.

BRACKET 14:
1. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964)
2. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963)
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957)
4. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965)

100% better bracket! "I Get Around" boasts a brilliant melody, a fun lyric and good harmonies, and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" exceeds itself - it's an unassuming classic far greater than its parts.

"Great Balls Of Fire" stands up just fine, thanks to good old Jerry knockin' 'em dead - and "Stop!" is perfectly pretty.

BRACKET 15:
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966)
2. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965)
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957)
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001)

"Paint It Black" is brilliant, nasty, nihilistic rock 'n' roll - the Stones at their best. "I Can't Explain" is much more 'ordinary', but a perfectly sound rock song.

WLSGO is OK, and Missy Elliott is shit. Absolutely fuck all to say (oh you can go twenty rounds, can you? HOLLA! ), even musically, the 'legendary' Timbaland fails to impress me none.

BRACKET 16:
1. Blur, “Song 2” (1997)
2. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957)
3. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (195
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967)

"Song 2" is incredible - allegedly written as a sort of 'grunge parody', it stands tall and fine among the finest anthems the scene produced!

"Bye Bye Love" - or: a couple of youngsters having a go at being Buddy Holly, is a fine effort. I'm a sucker for miserable lyrics tied to joyful melodies.

"Johnny B. Goode" is sound rock 'n' roll, and "Higher And Higher" is nice enough, if erring a bit onto the cheesy side of feel-good pop...

Muchas gracias Honorio por la traducción. Thanks to Honorio by the translation.

BRACKET 13
1,- Beyoncé, Crazy in Love (2003), a songs that will remain as a perfect definition of how were the first years of the 21st century
2,- James Taylor, Fire and Rain (1970), pretty ballad but we all need something more.
3,- The Everly Brothers, All I Have to Do Is Dream (1958), too simple, doesn’t touch me.
4,- Bill Haley and His Comets, (We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock (1954), I respect Haley as a pioneer but I’m no longer willing to listen to him.

BRACKET 14
1,- The Supremes, Stop! In the Name of Love (1965), it’s not the most recalled of The Supremes but they were so fantastic...
2,- Jerry Lee Lewis, Great Balls of Fire (1957), his second best rock 'n' roll
3,- The Beach Boys, I Get Around (1964), a pleasant listen while we wait for Good Vibrations
4,- The Beatles, I Want to Hold Your Hand (1963), the guitar intro is cool but the song is nothing special.

BRACKET 15
1,- Jerry Lee Lewis, Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin On (1957), his best rock 'n' roll
2,- The Who, I Can’t Explain (1965), showing the way to, by example, Blur.
3,- Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, Get Ur Freak On (2001), brand new ways to make pop music, but this bracket is so tough.
4,- The Rolling Stones, Paint It, Black (1966), they’ve got at least 30 songs that I like more than this one.

BRACKET 16
1.- Jackie Wilson, (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher (1967), if the unpleasant Van Morrison devoted a song to him, there will be something.
2.- Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode (1958), one of the five or six foundations of that thing we love so much: rock and roll.
3.- Blur, Song 2 (1997), so powerful that don’t seem like Blur.
4.- The Everly Brothers, Bye Bye Love (1957), this country-pop groove becomes boring.

My first ever post to this or any other online forum so please excuse any incorrect etiquette!

What a great idea this is - a chance to argue about music with other people who seem to actually have interesting opinions. Well done schleuse for setting it up (and to Henrik for the best music site there is while I am at it)

Anyway, my votes for week 4 are:

Bracket 13
1. All I Have to Do Is Dream - great harmonies, great love song, still sounds great today
2. Rock Around the Clock - can still get everyone dancing at weddings (age 4 to 84) and there won't be many current songs which will do that in 2060!
3. Crazy In Love - never been a big Beyonce fan but this is a decent pop song
4. Fire and Rain - this is probably herecy to some people but I could not remember how this goes!

Bracket 14:
1. Great Balls Of Fire - the greatest piano rock 'n' roll song of all time (and as a piano player, it is probably my most requested song!)
2. I Get Around - one of the best vocal openings to any song ever
3. I Want to Hold Your Hand - always surprised how high this finishes in polls - not in my top 20 Beatles songs
4. Stop! In the Name of Love - great song but outclassed in this tough group

Bracket 15:
1. Paint It Black - the driving beat and Jaggger's voice send shivers down my spine
2. I Can't Explain - not one of their best but still good enough for second in a weak group
3. Whole Lotta Shakin' - pales in comparison with 'Great Balls' but still a great r'n'r tune
4. Get Ur Freak On - I like Missy but this song has just been played to death (and is well overrated)

Bracket 16:
1. Johnny B Goode - no competition, the greatest opening riff ever, the song everyone who ever picks up a guitar learns, without this - would there be anything else?
2. Song 2 - I am a huge Blur fan but I never loved this as much as the rest of the world. Great song but not in the same league as JBG
3. Bye Bye Love - good song but they were better with ballads
4. Higher and Higher - nothing against this, just not one of my favs

BRACKET 13
1. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958)
Wonderful!
2. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954)
Must have been amazing at the time, but has now been surpassed by quite a few.
3. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970)
Nice song, but I can't understand what it's doing in the top 256.
4. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003)
So overrated. Jay-Z's rap sucks!

BRACKET 14
1. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965)
Jippiii! You can't see The Supremes, but I can them.
2. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957)
Uuuuuuuuuummm - feels good!
3. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964)
Great feel-good song.
4. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963)
If this is considered one of Beatles' best, then why isn't, say, Beach Boys' "409"? So very distanced in this group.

BRACKET 15

1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966)
This one really stands out from Stones' canon with its Spanish guitar. Great!
2. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001)
Irresistible beats. Best of Timbaland.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957)
Another great classic Lewis shaker.
4. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965)
I wish they had continued like this and not done those operas...still number four here, someone has to be.

BRACKET 16
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958)
Must have been amazing at the time, and still not surpassed!
2. Blur, “Song 2” (1997)
The song that made the world (and me) realize that there was more in Blur than in Oasis.
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957)
I love this song. It hurts to put it at #3.
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967)
Not a favourite.

Bracket 13
89. Beyoncé, "Crazy in Love" - This song just does it for me, really low-brow
168. The Everly Brothers, "All I Have to Do Is Dream" - The harmonies are beautiful
40. Bill Haley and His Comets, "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - It's too nostalgic, I'm probably way too young to get it, but it's not at all exciting to me
217. James Taylor, "Fire and Rain" - I HATE James Taylor

Bracket 14
153. The Supremes, "Stop! In the Name of Love" - Those welcome Motown chills down the spine!
25. The Beatles, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - It's that bright eyed aggression
104. Jerry Lee Lewis, "Great Balls of Fire" - This is great rock
232. The Beach Boys, "I Get Around" - What is it with the Beach Boys, no seriously, I don't get it! I understand Pet Sounds and Surf's Up are excellent pop, but this is not really that great, and it can still make grown men week at the knees!?

Bracket 15
200. The Who, "I Can't Explain" - WOW!
72. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, "Get Ur Freak On" - This track is insanely good, I'll even admit it was my ringtone at the time
185. The Rolling Stones, "Paint It, Black" - Brian Jones on sitar, hard to beat...
57. Jerry Lee Lewis, "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Great, but less so than the rest of the bracket

Bracket 16
249. Jackie Wilson, "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" - Pure aural joy
8. Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode" - Probably better than the Jackie Wilson song, but I just love that more than this.
136. The Everly Brothers, "Bye Bye Love", Not my favorite Everly's song, but still great
121. Blur, "Song 2" - A thorn in the side of Blur fans. My FAVORITE band remembered by most of the world for two minutes that was so throw away they didn't even bother to name it (or for Damon to write proper lyrics)!

Y'all are surprising me this week...not that I'm complaining.

It's not just that the Beatles are about to go 0-for-3 so far--it's the James Taylor thing (he's in third right now, but I was sure he'd be a distant fourth). I guess I thought the early-70s singer/songwriter thing was deader than Richard M. Nixon.

I wish we had some Joni Mitchell or Carole King in the tournament so I could vote alongside you guys...

BRACKET 13
1. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954)- When I was a kid, THIS was the definition of Rock 'n' Roll for me. Still like the off-beat verses and the drums in particular.
2. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003)- I'm not really fond of Beyonce. For me she is maybe more talented than Britney Spears, but I never get the feeling that she's really into music. But in this case the uptempo bridge is enough to secure a second place in this quite weak bracket.
3. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958)- "Songs our daddy taught us" is still my favourite title of any record. But that's all I can praise about the Everly Brothers.
4. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970)- Definitely not my cup of tea.

BRACKET 14
1. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963)- One of my absolute favourites, not only by The Beatles. Love the hand-clapping and everything...
2. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965)- Good production. I like the wall of sound and the pushing beats in particular.
3. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957)- Would have been No.1 in Bracket 14...
4. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964)- One of the better Beach Boy-tracks. For me THAT is Easy Listening. There is a horrible german cover-version named "Braun, braun, kaffeebraun" (=brown, brown, coffebrown" by a band called "Die Strandjungs" (=translation for The Beach Boys). That's why I never could listen to the song "seriously"...

BRACKET 15
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966)- One of my favourite songs of all times. I can't describe it, but in my opinion this song is simply on another level...
2. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001)
3. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965)- It's o.k., nothing more.
4. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957)- I don't like it; I prefer "Great Balls of Fire. I always asked myself, what it is, that justifies such a high ranking...

BRACKET 16
1. Blur, “Song 2” (1997)- "Johnny B. Goode" may be much more important, but I'm way more happy, when they play "Song #2". Be it at a party or in the radio...
2. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958)- A classic, that's undeniable.
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957)- The best "Everly Brothers" track in my opinion, but still a bit annoying (sometimes even a LOT).
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967)- Not a Jackie Wilson fan either...

BRACKET 13
1. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” - Started it all (sorta) and it does have a great rhythm.
2. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” - One of the best current R&B artists.
3. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” - Least dull of his recordings. This one's actaully not dull at all.
4. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” - Not one of their best.

BRACKET 14
1. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” - One of the best examples of early rock and roll. Sets the house on fire.
2. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” - The ultimate plea from one of the ultimate girl bands. How could any guy refuse?
3. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” - The boys in their heyday. Tough bracket, though.
4. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” - I'm a big Beatles fan, but I prefer their post '64 stuff. That said, this is probably the best fourth place song in any bracket so far for me.

BRACKET 15
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966) - This one and "Sympathy for the Devil" are dark masterpieces.
2. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” - I like "Balls" better. I mean "Great Balls of Fire," not testicles.
3. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” - Inventive hip hop.
4. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” - Who can?

BRACKET 16
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” - Others crown Elvis, but Chuck's the king to me. His version is almost as good as Michael J. Fox's
2. Blur, “Song 2” - Irresistable
3. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” - Great little song, but some brackets are tougher than others.
4. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” - Good, not great.

BRACKET 13

all i have to do - just a beautiful song: 4 points
fire and rain - I like the singer-songwriter genre, so 3 points for JT
rock around the clock - Has rocked a little too much around the clock, 2 point is enough for me
crazy in love - 1 point for this song, it's not bad but simply not as good as the other three

BRACKET 14

i get aroun - Best pre-pet sounds song.
stop, in the name of love - Strange, I like it and I can't explain why. Must have something to do with taste.
i want to hold your hand - I like the beatles more for their later work
great balls of fire - Good music when you're in the right mood

BRACKET 15

paint it, black - Masterpiece by the stones, in their long career they only did it one time better
i can't explain - Same as the beatles: I like them more for their later work, but it's better than the other two
whole lotta shakin' goin on - A little too much Rock & Roll this week
ger ur freak on - Not the kind of music I like to listen to

BRACKET 16

johnny b. goode - This song has lost nothing of it's power in almst 50 years
song 2 - Just like to hear it, taste again I guess
higher and higher - Nice song to hear so now and then but not too much
bye bye love - Good enough for 1 point

BRACKET 13
1. James Taylor, “Fire and Rain” (1970)- Not only Taylor's best song but I think it blows away any other
song from the soft-rock genre.
2. The Everly Brothers, “All I Have to Do Is Dream” (1958)- 3. Bill Haley and His Comets, “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (1954)- Ahead of it's time but it just sounds so dated.
4. Beyoncé, “Crazy in Love” (2003)- Will this song be revered 30 years from now? I don't think so.

BRACKET 14
1. The Supremes, “Stop! In the Name of Love” (1965)- One of the best girl group songs.
2. The Beatles, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” (1963)- I think this song means more to those who were around when Beatlemania hit. To me it sounds nothing like the rest of the Beatles catalog even most of their early stuff.
3. The Beach Boys, “I Get Around” (1964)- This probably sounded dated to a lot of people in 64.
4. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Great Balls of Fire” (1957)

BRACKET 15
1. The Rolling Stones, “Paint It, Black” (1966)- A great song.
2. The Who, “I Can’t Explain” (1965)- I love the sound of the guitars on this song.
3. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On” (2001)- That hook is awesome.
4. Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” (1957)- I really am not a big fan of The Killer but this is a good song. It's just overmatched.

BRACKET 16
1. Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” (1958)- All of these 50's songs bring memories of movies and TV shows. I think I'd appreciate the songs a lot more if that wasn't the case.
2. Blur, “Song 2” (1997)- Woo hoo.
3. Jackie Wilson, “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” (1967)- I love Jackie Wilson but not this song.
4. The Everly Brothers, “Bye Bye Love” (1957)- Just OK

Bracket 13
217. James Taylor - Fire and Rain
- In a weak field, this was the best of the lot
40. Bill Haley and His Comets - Rock Around the Clock
- Again, not such a fan, but it's alright
168. The Everly Brothers - All I Have to Do Is Dream
- It's a really boring song. I don't get it.
89. Beyonce - Crazy in Love
- I can't stand Beyonce.

Bracket 14
232. The Beach Boys - I Get Around
- A magnificent tune, as always.
25. The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand
- Not Beatles' greatest moment, but a really nice song.
153. The Supremes - Stop! In the Name of Love
- Not bad, but The Supremes aren't really for me.
104. Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire
- I'm too tired of this song.

Bracket 15
185. The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
- My favourite Stones' tune. I love it!
200. The Who - I Can't Explain
- I saw The Who in concert earlier this week, and they opened with this. Glorious!
57. Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On
- Better than the last JLL song, but not my game.
72. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
- Oh no, this is just awful.

Bracket 16
121. Blur - Song 2
- I'm a bit tired of it, but it's still a great song.
249. Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher
- I'm actually quite new to this, but I think it's nice.
8. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
- Not bad.
136. The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- I don't really like The Everly Brothers.