Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ultra-Bracketology

Firstly I would like to note that Schleuse's game of bracketology is by far the best thing i have seen on this forum. It is exciting and its what this forum needs as it stands on the sharing of opinions, which i think everyone enjoys.

Well I'm going to share my opinion (again). Im sick of the ignorance of people just fobbing off recent songs the other, older songs are 'classics' or whatever they apparently are.

Now lets be honest. Music really kicked off when the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Bob Dylan were born and with the exception of maybe Elvis nothing from earlier than the 60's is any good and this is backed up by the site itself.

So anyway im gonna present to all of you, 5 brackets of each decade, with my top 5 and i want people to rank decades based on these top 5s.

1) 60s:
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
I Cant Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles

2) 70s:
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Imagine - John Lennon
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Dream On - Aerosmith
Hotel California - The Eagles

3) 80s:
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns & Roses
Poison - Alice Cooper

4) 90s:
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Wonderwall - Oasis
Losing My Religion - REM

5) 00s:
Lose Yourself - Eminem
My Love - Justin Timberlake ft. TI & Timbaland
By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Crazy in Love - Beyonce Knowles ft. Jay Z
In Da Club - 50 Cent

Re: Ultra-Bracketology

When it comes to these 5 songs I'm gonna have to rank them:

1) 60s - Do I even have to comment on this? The Who, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. All at their highpoint in this decade.
2) 70s - Later years of previously mentioned artists plus David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen etc.
3) 80s - Toughest choice is between 80s and 90s, but the 80s with Prince, REM and Bruce Springsteen at their very best (Bru it beats the 90s by a really really small nose.
4) 90s - Nirvana, REM and Radiohead make this decade great, but not as great as the previous decades.
5) 00s - A lot of lousy music this decade, but a lot of great music as well. We still have Radiohead, we have OutKast and we've got some pretty cool new indie rock.

Not that I, to any extent, agree with your choices.. but I have to say, I would have given the same order for all the music in those decades.

By the way.. 50 cent? Come on.

When it comes to these 5 songs I'm gonna have to rank them:

1) 60s - Do I even have to comment on this? The Who, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. All at their highpoint in this decade.
2) 70s - Later years of previously mentioned artists plus David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen etc.
3) 80s - Toughest choice is between 80s and 90s, but the 80s with Prince, REM and Bruce Springsteen at their very best (Bruce excluded perhaps), it beats the 90s by a really really small nose.
4) 90s - Nirvana, REM and Radiohead make this decade great, but not as great as the previous decades.
5) 00s - A lot of lousy music this decade, but a lot of great music as well. We still have Radiohead, we have OutKast and we've got some pretty cool new indie rock.

Not that I, to any extent, agree with your choices.. but I have to say, I would have given the same order for all the music in those decades.

By the way.. 50 cent? Come on.

Whoops. Doubleposted there, dunno how that happened.. ignore the first one I guess.

I hate having no edit button. Come to think of it, when it just comes to your songs I'm gonna have to go for 90s over 80s.

Sorry for all the posts. :x

Richard, you're the first person I've ever heard call people ignorant for picking OLDER songs over NEWER ones. This is particularly ironic considering you followed that statement by saying nothing before the 60's save Elvis is any good. Excuse me? Hank Williams? Leadbelly? Robert Johnson? Louis Armstrong? Frank Sinatra? Miles Davis? The Everly Brothers? Buddy Holly? Sorry that I (and most others) just don't think Enter Sandman is at their level.

1) 60s:
2) 70s:
4) 90s:
3) 80s:
5) 00s:

Had you picked better songs to represent each category my list would look very different. I'm generally a 90's and 70's fan and I abhor most of the crap from the 80's.

I just noticed something else. You put Hurricane in the 60's bracket. It was released in the mid-70's! This is not the time to be calling other people ignorant Richard.

Hey, it's Bob Dylan, he's old! Has to be 60s. Right?

Richard, I appreciate the compliments.

I won’t take issue with your choices of representative songs for each decade; I’ll just point out that these are your personal choices, and some of them are very idiosyncratic—as anybody’s choices would be. That’s why I use the AM rankings for the bracketology seedings, rather than my own personal taste (which is why there are no songs by X or the B-52’s in the tournament).

However, I do disagree—strongly—with your assertion that “music kicked off” in the middle 1960s. I think it would be short-sighted to dismiss artists like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and Jerry Lee Lewis (and Billie Holiday, and Thelonious Monk, and Hank Williams…) simply because they lived and worked in an era before George Martin and Phil Spector invented modern studio production values…if anything, it could be argued that this makes their music even more impressive.

On the flip side, it’s not the case that most visitors to this site dismiss 21st-century music out of hand…in bracketology, anyway, artists from the 2000s have actually slightly outperformed their seedings so far.

In my own case, I simply don’t know very much about the current decade’s music (apart from 3 or 4 bands), and in fact I’ve used this site to educate myself—and I’ve discovered some artists I like a lot (OutKast, Kanye West, Franz Ferdinand, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire) and some I don’t. But, to turn that around, please don’t just dismiss, say, Patsy Cline’s “Crazy” if you’ve never heard it.

(Yes, I shed a single, manly tear last week when Patsy came in last.)

With those many caveats, I would rank your five decadal song suites in this order: 90s, 60s, 80s, 00s, 70s. (If allowed to “rank” decades without reference to a particular group of songs, off the top of my head I’d say: 80s, 50s, 60s, 90s, 70s, 00s—and the 70s only avoids last place because of punk.) (By the way, I’m pretty sure that “Hurricane” is from the 70s, not the 60s.)

But I’m not really sure what ranking decades proves, except when any particular voter was in high school. Frankly, I can find things to like, and things to hate, in all of ‘em.

^^ Yeah, what he said (except for Patsy Cline).

1)60s
2)70s
3)90s
4)80s(crap top 5 for the 80s just quietly)
5)00s
By the way,I'd put the 50s ahead of the 2000s as well
There's no doubt that the 60s and 70s were the strong point
That wasn't a great top 5 for the 80s,but normally it would just decrease with time
1)60s 2)70s 3)80s 4)90s 5)2000s

The more I think about it the more I realize how unrepresentative your top 5's for each decade are. There isn't any country, urban pre-2000 (which every urban fan I've ever met has said is way ahead of today's club junk), motown, jazz, stax, blues, punk (unless you count Nirvana) and two groups appear twice! One in the same decade! Besides, you completely misfired on Hurricane. That was mid-70's Dylan.

All this has lead me to make my top 5 most representative songs from each decade (though as previously pointed out it is pretty silly to pit decades against each other). Then I realized that no decade could really be represented by 5 songs and stretched it to a top 10 (which is still way too small, especially for the 60's and 70's). Just remember, these are the most representative songs, not my top 10 favourite!:

50's) (so callously ignored by the thread-creating teenager)
1) Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
2) Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
3) Ray Charles - What'd I Say
4) Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
5) Muddy Waters - Got my Mojo Workin'
6) Miles Davis - So What
7) Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin
8) The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
9) Ritchie Valens - La Bamba
10) Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You

60's)
1) Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
2) The Beatles - A Day in the Life
3) Aretha Franklin - Respect
4) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
5) Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
6) The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
7) The Band - The Weight
8) Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
9) The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
10) The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

70's)
1) Stevie Wonder - Superstition
2) Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
3) David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
4) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
5) Pink Floyd - Money
6) Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart
7) The Beegees - Stayin' Alive
8) Derek and the Dominoes - Layla
9) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
10) Elton John - Tiny Dancer

80's)
1) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
2) Madonna - Like a Prayer
3) The Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
4) Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
5) Pixies - Where is my Head?
6) U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
7) Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
8) Public Enemy - Fight the Power
9) Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
10) Joy Division - Love Will Tear us Apart

90's)
1) Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit
2) Green Day - Longview
3) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
4) TLC - Waterfalls
5) Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
6) Fatboy Slim - The Rockafella Skank
7) Oasis - Wonderwall
8) Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
9) Radiohead - Just
10) The Roots feat. Erykah Badu - You Got me

00's) (again I'd like to remind you that these are not my top 10 favourite songs....)
1) Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
2) Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
3) OutKast - Hey Ya!
4) Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
5) The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl
6) Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
7) Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
8) Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
9) Avril Lavigne - Complicated
10) Audioslave - Like a Stone

Based on jonmarck's choices for each decade I'd probably have to rank the 00's last even though it's been one of my favorite decades for music.

I agree with the choices he took though, and it's unfortunate artists like Evanescence and Avril Lavigne are the most representative of a very underrated decade of music with 3 and a half years still to go.

theres nothing to really rank, in terms of jonmarck's selections............

Wow. I mean where do I start. Cry Me A River? Say the words 'Cry Me A River is the best song this decade' in your head and then think about it for 10 seconds. If by then you havent realised how many blanks are in your music knowledge, so help me god.

And The Message? Yes it is the highest rated 80s song on this site, however i just asked 10 people if they'd heard of it and none of them had. And when it comes down to it, it's really 6 minutes and 32 seconds of complete utter rubbish. If you think thats a good song youve clearly never listened to rap music.

I'm a HUGE rap fan, and calling The Message rubbish is just dumb. Any music fan with some perspective can recognise how great that song is. And reading your other posts richard, especially the ones about rap, it's painfully obvious you should not talk about blanks in musical knowledge.

And the topic of basing musical decades on someones individual picks is kind of useless.

jonmarck - no Beach Boys in the 60s? No Byrds? What figures?

Oh is it Vgrd? Im looking for useful posts youve done......and it just so happens i cant find anything......

Everyone I know, even people who never listen to rap, have heard The Message. It's a masterpiece, whatever you say.

Also, it's jonmarck's personal ranking, and I happen to agree with it more than I do with yours.

Any self respecting rap-fan would never include a pop-rap act such as 50 Cent. Eminem's early work is better than something like Loose Yourself, which is also pop-rap. I am in no way a rap-expert, but even I can hear this. Cry Me A River is (again, in my opinion.. you seem to confuse opinions with facts a lot) better than My Love and the RHCP have better songs, even in this decade. That leaves Crazy In Love, which I find extremely overrated.

In jonmarck's list I see at least 4 or 5 songs I like.

ok I thought I made it really really really clear that those weren't my favourite songs. Did you even read the sentence I wrote DIRECTLY ABOVE "Cry me a River"?! It's one of the most REPRESENTATIVE songs of the decade. And it is, Club-Pop is huge, and there are so many other acts following in JT's footsteps.

If you don't know the Message you don't deserve to call yourself a rap fan, heck, or even a music fan. Even Happy Feet knows the Message. There's a reason why it's #51 on this site. It was the birth of conscious.

Midaso, what can I say? It's a hard decade to whittle down! I barely even fit the Rolling Stones in! Regardless I thought Bob Dylan would cover folk enough to not have to include the Byrds and the Kingsmen are there for small-town American teen rock. I know the Beach Boys aren't from a small town but I thought they had the same sort of feel, you know?

Since sleeping on it I'm starting to think I should have included a hardcore punk act in the 80's (like Black Flag or Bad Brains or Dead Kennedy's or Minor Threat), I probably should have included Blink 182, because Green Day just doesn't cover pop-punk fully, and I probably should've included Limp Bizkit instead of Audioslave. Also I think Heart of Gold might have been a better choice for Neil Young.

It's not even one of the most representative songs of the decade...probably wouldnt even make JT's top 5 these days. And its not even club-pop so yeh really good call there.

Point #2. Arguing about the message isnt even worth bothering with, its a piece of shit.

3)Good to see you're now giving another half-assed opinion now on punk rock!!!! where again ur showing limited music knowledge.

You're not making a very strong case Richard. Just stating "it is shit" while others elaborate on their choices sorta makes you the loser. I'd say Cry Me A River is Justin's second best song ever, and hey, the critics agree! I don't agree with their #1 song ever though, but we can't have everything.

Richard I'm not going to argue with you. You sound bitter and defensive.

Call me anal but I've GOT to update!

50's) (so callously ignored by the thread-creating teenager)
1) Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
2) Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
3) Ray Charles - What'd I Say
4) Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
5) Muddy Waters - Got my Mojo Workin'
6) Miles Davis - So What
7) Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin
8) The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
9) Ritchie Valens - La Bamba
10) Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You

60's)
1) Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
2) The Beatles - A Day in the Life
3) Aretha Franklin - Respect
4) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze
5) Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
6) The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
7) The Band - The Weight
8) Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
9) The Beach Boys - In My Room
10) The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

70's)
1) Stevie Wonder - Superstition
2) Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
3) David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
4) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
5) Pink Floyd - Money
6) Neil Young - Heart of Gold
7) The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
8) Derek and the Dominoes - Layla
9) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
10) Elton John - Tiny Dancer

80's)
1) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message
2) Madonna - Like a Prayer
3) The Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
4) Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
5) Minor Threat - Straight Edge
6) U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
7) Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
8) Public Enemy - Fight the Power
9) Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
10) The Police - Roxanne

90's)
1) Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit
2) Green Day - Longview
3) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
4) TLC - Waterfalls
5) Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
6) Fatboy Slim - The Rockafella Skank
7) Oasis - Wonderwall
8) Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
9) Radiohead - Just
10) The Fugees - Ready or Not

00's) (again I'd like to remind you that these are not my top 10 favourite songs....)
1) Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River
2) Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
3) OutKast - Hey Ya!
4) Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
5) The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Girl
6) Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
7) Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
8) Blink 182 - All the Small Things
9) Avril Lavigne - Complicated
10) Limp Bizkit - Rearranged

Given the history of this thread, I hate to do this to you, jonmarck, but "Roxanne" is from 1978.

Also, instead of Minor Threat, I think I'd go with Black Flag, or Minutemen, or...gosh, I don't know...maybe X?

(schleuse is to X as Moonbeam is to Prince. I just can't help myself.)

I know it was actually released in the late 70's (on Outlandos D'Amour) but it wasn't released as a single until mid-79 and didn't really take hold until 1980. As a representative song I think it fits into the 1980's better than the 70's.

I prefer that Minor Threat song just because it illustrates a unique political philosophy while staying true to punk ideals. There was a lot of that going on at the time. I also have to admit I don't know much X (it's hard to find it in stores around here).

jonmarck, would you agree with me that your list is from a US perspective? If that's the case then you're probably as accurate as you can get.

Now I want to put Macy Gray's I Try instead of TLC's Waterfalls...I'm too indecisive!

I guess so Henrik, though as a Canadian it pains me to align myself with the States!

I guess it's because the music journalism I get exposed to the most is American. How would yours look different?

Mr. Helpful here--the best introduction to X is their career retrospective here.

(Sorry, but I'm just excited that I learned how to do that.)

How would mine look different. Well, I'm not really sure what you put into 'representative'. Who are the listeners you have in mind?

I just noticed that your list would probably look very different if it was made by someone from the UK. Then it would be full of Clash, Jam, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Smiths, Blur, Suede, Pulp, Verve, etc.

Asking "Who are the listeners you have in mind?" after having said "you're probably as accurate as you can get" shows how much thought I put into my posts!

OK, how about this?...a representative history of pop music over the last 71 YEARS, choosing one song per year.

(Richard, I’m sorry to hijack your thread for this.)
(jonmarck, I’m sorry to hijack a couple of your ideas…you obviously have a good idea how to do this…what have I left out?)
(Henrik, yeah, this is from a US perspective. Any emendations you might suggest would be very welcome.)

1936: Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues”
1937: Benny Goodman, “Sing, Sing, Sing”
1938: Artie Shaw, “Begin the Beguine”
1939: Billie Holiday, “Strange Fruit”
1940: Woody Guthrie, “Dust Bowl Blues”
1941: The Andrews Sisters, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy”
1942: Bing Crosby, “White Christmas”
1943: Al Dexter, “Pistol Packin’ Mama”
1944: Duke Ellington, “Black, Brown & Beige”
1945: Edith Piaf, “La Vie En Rose”
1946: Thelonious Monk, “Round Midnight”
1947: Wynonie Harris, “Good Rockin’ Tonight”
1948: The Orioles, “It’s Too Soon to Know”
1949: Hank Williams, “Lovesick Blues”
1950: Muddy Waters, “Rollin’ Stone”
1951: Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88”
1952: Lloyd Price, “Lawdy Miss Clawdy”
1953: Frank Sinatra, “I’ve Got the World on a String”
1954: Elvis Presley, “Blue Moon of Kentucky”
1955: Little Richard, “Tutti Frutti”
1956: Bo Diddley, “Who Do You Love”
1957: Buddy Holly, “Not Fade Away”
1958: Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
1959: Miles Davis, “So What”
1960: Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (so sue me already)
1961: Roy Orbison, “Crying”
1962: Ray Charles, “I Can’t Stop Loving You”
1963: The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
1964: The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby”
1965: Bob Dylan, “Desolation Row”
1966: The Beatles, “Tomorrow Never Knows”
1967: Aretha Franklin, “Respect”
1968: The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil”
1969: Led Zeppelin, “Dazed and Confused”
1970: Simon and Garfunkel: “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
1971: Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
1972: David Bowie, “Starman”
1973: Stevie Wonder, “Higher Ground”
1974: Bob Marley, “No Woman No Cry”
1975: Bruce Springsteen, “Born to Run”
1976: Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
1977: Sex Pistols, “God Save the Queen”
1978: Chic, “Le Freak”
1979: The Clash, “Death or Glory”
1980: Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime”
1981: The Human League, “Don’t You Want Me”
1982: Prince, “1999”
1983: Violent Femmes, “Blister in the Sun”
1984: U2, “Pride (In the Name of Love)”
1985: Madonna, “Into the Groove”
1986: R.E.M., “Fall on Me”
1987: Public Enemy, “Rebel Without a Pause”
1988: Pixies, “Where Is My Mind?”
1989: Stone Roses, “I Am the Resurrection”
1990: LL Cool J, “Mama Said Knock You Out”
1991: Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
1992: Beastie Boys, “So What’cha Want”
1993: Blur, “Popscene”
1994: Oasis, “Live Forever”
1995: Alanis Morissette, “You Oughta Know”
1996: Beck, “Devil’s Haircut”
1997: Radiohead, “Paranoid Android”
1998: Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank”
1999: Blink-182, “What’s My Age Again?”
2000: OutKast, “Ms. Jackson”
2001: The White Stripes, “Fell in Love With a Girl”
2002: Johnny Cash, “Hurt”
2003: Britney Spears, “Toxic”
2004: Modest Mouse, “Float On”
2005: Kanye West, “Gold Digger”
2006: Justin Timberlake, “Sexy Back”

Here are the singles that stayed longest at no. 1 in Sweden 1976-1992, so I guess it's a representative list for my country...

1976 ABBA - Dancing Queen (14 weeks)
1977 Baccara - Yes Sir, I Can Boogie (20 weeks!)
1978 Bonnie Tyler - It's a Heartache (14 weeks)
1979 Secret Service - Oh Susie (14 weeks)
1980 Bill Lovelady - One More Reggae for the Road (12 weeks)
1981 Gyllene Tider - När vi två blir en (12 weeks)
1982 Shakin' Stevens - Oh Julie (10 weeks)
1983 David Bowie - Let's Dance (10 weeks)
1984 Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You (10 weeks)
1985 Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is (10 weeks)
1986 Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me / Magnus Uggla - Joey Killer (8 weeks)
1987 Housemartins - Caravan of Love / John Farnham - You're the Voice / Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin / Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (8 weeks)
1988 Tone Norum & Tommy Nilsson - Allt som jag känner (10 weeks)
1989 Kaoma - Lambada (10 weeks)
1990 Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (8 weeks)
1991 Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It for You (12 weeks)
1992 Erasure - ABBA-Esque (12 weeks)

Oh dear...

I had to do albums as well, so here goes:
1976 Tina Charles - I Love to Love (yes, the album...14 weeks)
1977 Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record / Boney M - Love for Sale / Smokie - Greatest Hits (10 weeks)
1978 Grease OST (16 weeks)
1979 Dire Straits - Communique (12 weeks)
1979-80 Pink Floyd - The Wall (26 weeks!)
1981 Phil Collins - Face Value (10 weeks)
1982 Ulf Lundell - Kär och galen (16 weeks)
1983 Mike Oldfield - Crises / Magnus Uggla - Välkommen till förorten (8 weeks)
1984 Bruce Springsteen (10 weeks, of which 6 weeks were in the summer of '85 when he came to Sweden on his tour!)
1985 Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (22 weeks)
1986 Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston / Eurythmics - Revenge / Magnus Uggla - Den döende dandyn (12 weeks)
1987 Whitney Houston - Whitney / Agneta Fältskog - I Stand Alone (8 weeks)
1988 Orup - Orup / Roxette - Look Sharp (14 weeks)
1989 Madonna - Like a Prayer (14 weeks)
1990 Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues (12 weeks)
1991 Roxette - Joyride (14 weeks)
1992 Lisa Nilsson - Himlen runt hörnet (14 weeks)

Lets see for the Netherlands..
* Marco Borsato - Dromen zijn bedrog (12)
* Bryan Adams - (Everything I do) I do it for you (11)
* Marco Borsato - Rood (11)
* Heintje - Ich bau' dir ein Schloß (10)
* 4 Non Blondes - What's up (10)
* Vangelis - Conquest of paradise (10)
* Céline Dion - My heart will go on (10)
* The Beatles - Ticket to ride (9)
* Boney M - Rivers of Babylon (9)
* John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - You're the one that I want (9)
* Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - (I've had) The time of my life (9)
* Whitney Houston - I will always love you (9)
* Puff Daddy & Faith Evans & 112 - I'll be missing you (9)
* Shakira - Whenever wherever (9)
* Las Ketchup - The Ketchup song (Asereje) (9)
* The Underdog Project & The Sunclub - Summer jam 2003 (9)
* O-Zone - Dragostea din teï (9)

Hm.. some of that is pretty sad. =/

Based on your lists:

'60s - solid classics
'90s - ditto, pretty much
'70s - Aerosmith lets the side down, particularly
'80s - some good pop...
'00s - Fiddy? Justin? If these were actually the 21st centuries shining lights, I'd have given up on modern music.

Interesting, a lot of people have ranked the 80s low. Personally i would too, but a lot of people seem to love it.

It must be a pretty weak decade given the message is apparently its best song