The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 3

oops, I took a listen to a clip of People Get Ready, and all this time I thought it actually was the song that went "Get Ready, 'cause here I come", which is a lot faster paced that this Impressions one. Sorry about my ignorance, all you fans of the real "People Get Ready".

Anyone know the song I mistook the Impressions one for? I'm sure it's a Temptations or Four Tops song.

Temptations...pretty good song, too. (AM has it at #2132)

Bracket 9:
1.Stone Roses "Fool's Gold"
2."In The Midnight Hour" (A Close 2nd)
3."Yakety Yak"
4."Hotel California" (I hate the friggin Eagles!!!)

Bracket 10:
1."Seven Nation Army" (perhaps my least fav WS song, but it still wins)
2."Imagine"
3."Nothing Compares 2 U"
4."Enter Sandman"

Bracket 11:
1."Take me Out" Easy choice, the other 3 are nothing more than OK...

Bracket 12:
1."Stairway To Heaven"
2."Fight For Your Right"
3."People Get Ready"
4.Walk On By"

Muchas gracias Honorio por la traducción. Thanks to Honorio by the translation.

BRACKET 9
1- Wilson Pickett, In the Midnight Hour (1965), a brand new rhythm.
2- The Coasters, Yakety Yak (1958), the world of rock is too transcendent, someone must reward the sense of humour of this song.
3- The Stone Roses, Fools Gold (1989), boring.
4- The Eagles, Hotel California (1976), it’s really only a pretty melody with a guitar solo quite tedious.

BRACKET 10
1- The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army (2003), the many ways to use an electric guitar.
2- Sinéad O?Connor, Nothing Compares 2 U (1990), a great song for a great voice.
3- Metallica, Enter Sandman (1991), very poor melody but beautiful noise.
4- John Lennon, Imagine (1971), it’s impossible to imagine such world, dear John.

BRACKET 11
1- Kanye West, Gold Digger (2005), if someone must represent hip-hop in the final phases of this game, Kanye West deserves it.
2- Eddie Cochran, Summertime Blues (1958), one of the five or six foundations of that thing we love so much: rock and roll
3- Franz Ferdinand, Take Me Out (2004), two songs into one, both excellent.
4- Kraftwerk, Autobahn (1974), this bracket is so tough; I’m sorry for not being able to put in better position this kaleidoscopic song.

BRACKET 12
1- Dionne Warwick, Walk On By (1964), it goes so slowly that it seems that it’s going to stop but "walk on by (don't stop)"
2- The Impressions, People Get Ready (1965), a classic soul ballad with great performances and vocal harmonies and elegant arrangements...
3- Beastie Boys, Fight for Your Right (To Party) (1986), rowdies, insolents, amusing fellows
4- Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven (1971), I like it but there’s a lot of competition.

My votes

BRACKET 9
Really tough
88. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) gets the slight edge for his heartrending passion.
41. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) is a perennial winner in terms of a complete package of great lyric and music.
216. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) loses a bit because of its novelty leanings.
169. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) I'll confess the charms of the Stone Roses have mostly eluded me.

BRACKET 10
233. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) Never thought I'd choose Metallica over Lennon but I have to admit I skip "Imagine" sometimes on my MP3 player and almost never skip this one.
105. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) Improves on His Purpleness
24. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) Though it's not among my favorite Lennon tunes, it's definitely a classic.
152. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) Has the potential to move up over time but for right now it lands last.

BRACKET 11
This bracket was the easiest since I don't really like #3 and #4. Cochran is far and away the winner..a timeless statement of teen angst. "Gold Digger" is one of the catchier rap ditties in recent memory though.

73. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
184. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
56. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
201. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)

BRACKET 12
Guess it's my bias but 2 spiritually minded lyrics take spots 1 and 2 in my bracket voting with Dionne in 3rd. Party boys the Beasties distant in 4th.

9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
137. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
120. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
248. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
I'm not a big Eagles fan, but what a standout song this is.
2. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965)
Great song, but it annoys me a bit that this song is always chosen before "Mustang Sally" by critics.
3. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
I have always wondered why a song with such a great beat don't give me more.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958)
Not among the best of the '50s.

BRACKET 10
Definitely the strongest bracket of the week.
1. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
Lennon's swan song is amazingly beautiful. I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate it.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990)
Wonderful as well, altough probably I like the "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" album as a whole even more.
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)
Shows White Stripes at the purest. Simplicity to an amazing effect.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991)
I loved this song so much when it came. Too bad it
ended up in this group.

BRACKET 11
1. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)
Works better at home than on the actual Autobahn (too much noise from the car)
2. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
I have been so tired of 'britpop' lately. Probably it's this song's fault. It set the standards too high. Or it might be Arctic Monkeys.
3. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
Yup, that's a fine guitar riff.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
Definitely number four here.

BRACKET 12
1. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
So cool. I love the arrangement. Many of the other Bacharach-David songs also deserve a high place at AM.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
I struggle with this song. How much do I really like it?
3. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
Beautiful, but Curtis was more interesting after going solo. Why are none those songs in the top 256?
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)
Has to go as number four. But this IS fun.

hotel california - Just a great song
fools gold - The stone roses are great and so is this song. I prefer the 4-minute single version
in the midnight hour - Good song just a little over date
yakety yak - Sounds great!!.... After a lot of beer

imagine - A song of hope or despair? This is the essential Lennon song
nothing compares 2 u - One of the greatest voices of the '90's
seven nation army - Best song by the white stripes so far. But I'm simply not a white stripes lover
enter sandman - This is where metallica started to die

summertime blues - Good enough to win a weak bracket
take me out - Like most people here I think this song is a little overrated and there are better songs on their debut album
autobahn - Must have been great at the time it was released. Sounds a little simplistic to me now
gold digger - No comments

stairway to heaven - One of my all time favourites, great song
people get ready - Very close to number one but I just can't put it above Led zeppelin. Beautiful song though.
walk on by - I really like the 12 minute Isaac Hayes version. But it wouldn't be there without this one
fight for your right - Teenage fun, I guess…