Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Week 3

It’s Friday again, so, for your voting pleasure, here are four more brackets.
Ballots due by the end of Saturday, June 30. New voters, please remember to explain your rankings. Thenk you.

BRACKET 9
41. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
88. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965)
169. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
216. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958)

BRACKET 10
24. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
105. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990)
152. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)
233. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991)

BRACKET 11
56. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
73. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
184. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
201. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)

BRACKET 12
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
120. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
137. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
248. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)

Week 2 results will be up Sunday (good lord willin’ and the crick don’t rise).

Re: Bracketology: Week 3

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) - Absolutely fantastic song, one of my all-time favorites.
2. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) - Not my favorite Stone Roses song, but still pretty good.
3. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) - Decent song, nothing more.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) - Pretty annoying song.

BRACKET 10
1. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - Nothing in this bracket compares to this song! :)
2. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - Great song, but a little overrated. Still a deserving number two here.
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - Don't really like the White Stripes, but this song is pretty good.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - Don't like it, Metallica has much better songs.

BRACKET 11
1. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) - Amazing song, easy #1 in this bracket.
2. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) - Not very spectacular, but still pretty good.
3. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) - What can I say about this.. it starts off alright but I just don't like the rest.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) - Meh. Just meh.

BRACKET 12
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) - Number one without a doubt here.
2. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) - Great song, tough choice between this one and the Beastie Boys.. can't let the Boys win though. :)
3. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) - Don't like the Beastie Boys a lot, but this song is actually a lot of fun.
4. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
- Much better than this one anyway.

All in all much easier brackets than last week, and also quite a few more I had to enqueue in winamp to remember what they sounded like.

BRACKET 9
1. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) - This is why I hate the Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, NSync, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, etc. They took a form with so much energy, so much innocence and so much fun and turned it to pure filthy brainless stupid crap. That's how good this song is, it makes me hate other songs.
2. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) - Six trillion top 40 cover bands can't be wrong.
3. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) - I guess I just like the Nancy Sinatra
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) - and don't come back.

BRACKET 10
1. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - Barely edging out Imagine, Sinead's pure-as-white cover of Prince's least-Prince love song wins inspiration of the week.
2. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - A beautiful melody and vulnerable performance, but beware, this honey comes with the stinger attached. Between this and Working Class Hero it seems Lennon was at his preachiest when he pretended to play innocent.
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - I don't know how they managed to pull off this tour de force with just guitar and drums and lots of antique recording gear but it remains the White Stripes most successful single for good reason.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - And thus was created watered-down pop metal. Leave it to Bob Rock to tame (read: castrate) one of the most unyielding sonic assaults of the metal world.

BRACKET 11
1. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) - I think I just hate this song the least. It's a little bland and outdated but at least Eddie knows that summer jobs suck ass.
2. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) - I respect this song because without it we wouldn't have The Talking Heads, Massive Attack, Moby, Nine Inch Nails, The Cure, Air or Depeche Mode. Then again we also wouldn't have Europop. 11 minutes is also a long time to listen to computer music too.
3. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) - Overhyped and derivative. Add "void of personality" to that too. Plenty of character, just no personality, know what I mean? Kind of like the weird uncle who adds ambience to the room but no one would ever want to talk to. Like a Sean Connery film, or, heck, like Sean Connery. That's suitable because they're both Scottish.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) - Just another example of why the newest songs are always at the bottom of the bracket. Annoying, arrogant and rushed, this single features little skill and much Jamie Foxx.

BRACKET 12
137. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) - Every time this song comes on I have to stop and listen...
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) - One of the most famous rock epics of all time but forgive me for thinking it hasn't aged terribly well.
120. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) - Touching but bland chick tune.
248. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) - Fratboy party anthem. Bleh. Maybe I just hate people who like this song more than I hate the song itself.

For me, there seems to be a theme to the brackets this week: lean-and-mean vs. bloated-and-saggy.

BRACKET 9
1. WILSON PICKETT: “IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR”: What a killer song. Sometimes, rock and roll really should be about sex. It’s also the only song in this bracket that I can’t find any flaws in.
2. COASTERS, “YAKETY YAK”: Another one of my dumb fun songs; wonderful sax. No classic, though.
3. EAGLES, “HOTEL CALIFORNIA”: I had the Eagles as one of my five most overrated artists on that thread, but this song is out and away their best (if a little cutesy).
4. STONE ROSES, “FOOLS GOLD”: Had another listen to it…the first three minutes are the finest funk I’ve heard out of England. The second three I began to get twitchy. By the last three minutes, I was mentally reviewing my income tax return.

BRACKET 10
1. WHITE STRIPES, “SEVEN NATION ARMY”: I’m not a rabid fan of Jack White, and this isn’t even their best—but I think it blows away this field.
2. SINÉAD O’CONNOR, “NOTHING COMPARES 2 U”: I like Sinéad. I like Prince. I like minimalist ballads. Why don’t I like this song more?
3. JOHN LENNON, “IMAGINE”: I think John Lennon was a great artist, and I worry that I’m gonna get fried for picking this one #3. I could explain why I don’t like it at length; instead, I’ll just refer you to Elvis Costello’s take on it (find “Imagine” on Wikipedia; it’s there).
4. METALLICA, “ENTER SANDMAN”: For years, all I heard of this song was the first minute, which played at the ballpark when Billy Wagner came in to pitch for the Astros. I thought it was pretty cool, and might even help me warm up to metal. Then I listened to the rest of it…

BRACKET 11
I think this is the strongest bracket of the week.
1. EDDIE COCHRAN, “SUMMERTIME BLUES”: This is a GREAT song, fun, a little silly, and (according to some) the first rock protest song. Eddie’s acoustic guitar is perfect and his vocals are just jaw-dropping (yeah, he does the bass parts).
2. KANYE WEST, “GOLD DIGGER”: He’s not the messiah; he’s a very naughty boy. Best rap song of the decade (so far), and maybe the best sample I’ve ever heard.
3. FRANZ FERDINAND, “TAKE ME OUT”: It’s cool, and FF is the kind of band I usually like, but unlike the two songs above, I don’t think it quite gets up to classic status.
4. KRAFTWERK, “AUTOBAHN”: I like this song, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I don’t think a song that’s …………………..22………………minutes……………..long can hang with the other three in this group.

BRACKET 12
1. THE IMPRESSIONS, “PEOPLE GET READY”: It’s not “A Change Is Gonna Come,” but it’ll do until Sam comes along. Nifty gospel.
2. BEASTIE BOYS, “FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT”: This is the Beasties before they were actually one of the best bands in the world (yep), but it’s still fun (jonmarck, I understand how you feel, but if we throw out everything that appeals to frat guys, we’re gonna lose too much).
3. DIONNE WARWICK, “WALK ON BY”: I actually like this song better than I like Dionne’s performance of it...but that langourous Bacharach trumpet is worth the price of admission for me.
4. LED ZEPPELIN, “STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN”: OK, I know I’m not going to convince anyone who feels differently, but…although I have learned to like Jimmy Page, I cannot stand Robert Plant, and I can sum up why I hate this song in two words: Spinal Tap.

Bracket 9

Not a particularly strong bracket in my eyes
1)Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour:The only song of the bracket that I really like - classic soul standard
2)The Stone Roses - Fools Gold:Sort of boring for me but still pretty innovative I guess
3)The Eagles - Hotel California:Over familiarity kills it for me - not a big fan of it
4)The Coasters - Yakety Yak - fun,but pretty cheesy

Bracket 10

1)John Lennon - Imagine:Nothing in the bracket beats this - great lyrics,beautiful
2)Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U:Great song -
would have been #1 in many brackets
3)The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army:Well nothing special really but still kickass rock
4)Metallica - Enter Sandman:Don't hate it,but don't like it too much either - definitely #4 here

Bracket 11

1)Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues:Sort of #1 by default with the other stuff bordering on average - classic stuff though
2)Franz Ferdinand - Wouldn't be as high as #2 in most brackets - pretty average stuff - overrated
3)Kraftwerk - Autobahn:Not my cup of tea really - too long as well
4)Kanye West - Gold Digger:Not too bad - should not be rated this high. Ridiculous for it be rated higher than it's parent song - I Got A Woman

Bracket 12

1)The Impressions - People Get Ready:One of my favourites - simple,but brilliant
2)Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven:Heard it too many times to be too big a fan of it now but still pretty classic
3)Dionne Warwick - Walk On By:Great Song,great vocals
A really strong song to have at #3
4)Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right(To Party):Pretty average - out of it's league with the other 3.

BRACKET 9
1. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) - Classic R&B; best in a weak bracket.
2. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) - No real comment, just that I like it OK.
3. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) - Somewhat amusing, I suppose.
4. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) - Yuck. One major reason why we needed the Pistols and Clash to come along in 1977.

BRACKET 10
1. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - Great rock groove. Close call over no. 2.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - Beautiful song.
3. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - Not my thing, but more energy than Imagine.
4. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - Most overrated song of all-time (just my opinion).

BRACKET 11
1. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)- Hard to compare the different songs in this diverse bracket, so I'll go with the oldest one.
2. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) - Sounds fresh now, but not sure how it will hold up over time.
3. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) - Just OK for me.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) - Doesn't do it for me.

BRACKET 12
1. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) - Solid choice. Beautiful. Inspirational.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) - Another overrated bombastic rock song that called out for the invention of punk rock, but such a perfect example of this that it deserves some recognition. Hence, No. 2 position.
3. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) - Just OK.
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) - By far not the best Beastie Boys tune.

OK, I over-reacted putting Imagine at No. 4!

Please move it up to no. 3. (I really like the top 2 songs).

REVISED BRACKET 10 - Sorry for the confusion...
1. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - Great rock groove. Close call over no. 2.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - Beautiful song.
3. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - Most overrated song of all-time, but still a worthy effort.
3. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - Not my thing.

Hm.. why does everyone say Autobahn is too long, mine is 4 minutes.

Seems I got the short version, heh.

BRACKET 9

1. The Stone Roses- "Fools Gold"

This song just oozes cool out of every pore.

2. Wilson Pickett- "In the Midnight Hour"

Not a real fan of this, but I absolutely loathe the two other songs.

3. The Coasters- "Yakety Yak"

I have grown to appreciate some oldies, but this isn't one of them.

4. The Eagles- "Hotel California"

This is perhaps the most overrated song of all-time. Along with "American Pie" and "You Shook Me All Night Long", it is a song that everyone sings terribly in bars and annoys me to no end!

BRACKET 10

1. Sinead O'Connor- "Nothing Compares 2 U"

Prince wrote this song, and even though it is pretty well-known here that I am a massive Prince whore, I prefer this version to any version Prince or his proteges has released. Guttural and gripping.

2. The White Stripes- "Seven Nation Army"

It takes a new slant on that classic Eurythmics synth riff in "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" and makes it a unique statement. Instantly recognizable and raucous.

3. Metallica- "Enter Sandman"

The headbanger in me loves this song, although I prefer "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters" from their 91 album.

4. John Lennon- “Imagine”

It should come as no surprise that I despise this.

BRACKET 11

1. Franz Ferdinand- “Take Me Out”

This song took over the world in 2004 and hasn't lost one bit of its epic, propulsive power. The frenzy that ensued caught me by storm and I haven't looked back since.

2. Kraftwerk- "Autobahn"

I don't understand the complaints that this is too long. Groundbreaking music should not have limitations, and this is groundbreaking music.

3. Kanye West- "Gold Digger"

It is pretty well established that Kanye is a total megalomaniac. However, his overall douchebaggery doesn't detract from the fact that this song is catchy as hell.

4. Eddie Cochran- “Summertime Blues”

I'm just not a fan of this era in general.

BRACKET 12

1. Beastie Boys- "Fight for Your Right"

They have much, much better songs ("Intergalactic" anyone?), but this is a notorious classic. Riotous fun.

2. Dionne Warwick- "Walk on By"

Again, I'm not a big fan of this era, but I can't deny that this song is quite decent.

3. The Impressions- "People Get Ready"

See above.

4. Led Zeppelin- "Stairway to Heaven"

I understand the need for epic, sweeping guitar opuses, but this song just has never appealed to me.

OK, my comment about "Autobahn's" length was pretty silly, yes--although the 22-minute album version is the only one I've ever heard. I still would have placed it #4 in its group, even if I had heard Pomtidom's 4-minute abridgement.

I acknowledge that it's groundbreaking, and, like I said, I enjoy listening to it. However, I think Bracket 11 is the strong one this week, and I will confess here to a slight bias against electronica (I didn't want to mention it since I already outed myself as a metal-hater this week).

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976), classic! I still enjoy listening to it.
2. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989), almost as good as no.1.
3. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) not bad, didn't know this song.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958), a bit silly.

BRACKET 10
1. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971), no to religion and yes to good music!!
2. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003), only guitar and drums! Great.
3. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990), uncompareable good.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991), someone must be last.

BRACKET 11
1. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958), ain't no cure for this song.
2. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004), nice song, bit overrated though.
3. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974), influential, but I don't like it a lot.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005), I don't like it at all.

BRACKET 12
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971), has aged a bit, but still good.
2. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964), after so many years still good.
3. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965), same.
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986), childish.

BRACKET 9:
1. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
2. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
3. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (195
4. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965)

I don't think I'm familiar with "In The Midnight Hour", and "Yakety Yak" is no classic in my eyes. Which only really loves "Hotel California" (a pretty song, by an over-rated band) and "Fools Gold" (an over-rated song, by an amazing band). And while I don't personally think it to be one of their better songs, push come to shove, I'd rather be listening to "Fool's Gold".

BRACKET 10:
1. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990)
3. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991)

A much, much more competitive bracket, for me. I enjoy "Enter Sandman", but it's way out of its league here today. "Imagine" I think is really beautiful, but I hate putting it so low, but I do think the other two songs might just pip it for me!

"Nothing Compare 2 U" I really find achingly beautiful. Perhaps the finest single break-up song since "Yesterday". Really earnest, powerful and emotive. But "Seven Nation Army" is the kind of instant perfect giant guitar classic the likes of which haven't been spied much since "My Generation". Dylan-esque wit and imagination tied to one of the all-time great guitar riffs. Perhaps the finest moment of 21st century rock.

BRACKET 11:
1. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
2. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
3. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)
4. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (195

Just no real competition, for me.

BRACKET 12:
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
2. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)
3. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)

Just no real strong feelings for the bottom two.

Seems to me the people who put Midnight Hour at the bottom of their bracket say they just haven't heard it, so here's some free education from the school of rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lv2PAwke8

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976): yes, it’s AOR, but I wish that all the AOR was as brilliant as that.
2. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965): a succulent piece of soul to sink your teeth into.
3. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989): the most Madchester song of The Stone Roses, nice wah wah.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958): funny Leiber-Stoller piece, but not its best (not even close to “Trouble”, “Stand by Me” or “Hound Dog”).

BRACKET 10
1. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003): the most legendary bass riff of the 2000s (or it was a guitar?).
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990): cry, baby, cry…
3. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971): I’m so sorry, John, but your most overrated song goes to the #3.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991), nightmarish, one of the few metal songs I really like.

BRACKET 11
1. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004): I don’t know if by the end of the decade it will the best song of the 2000s, but it will be very close.
2. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958): quintessential rockabilly, nice acoustic guitar riff and funny lyrics.
3. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974): highly influential but Kraftwerk will notably improve the following years; really odd that the song became a hit in gay clubs in the mid70s.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005): agree with JK, it makes no sense for me having “Gold Digger” at #184 and “I Got a Woman” at #570.

BRACKET 12
1. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964): that’s class, boys.
2. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965): really hard to put this wonder on #2.
3. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971): when I was a kid I learned to make arpeggios with a guitar with this song (and other million kids too), but now I find the song rather pretentious.
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986): soooo superficial.

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) - Over-played, yes, but that's what happens to great songs unfortunately.
2. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) A great R&B song recorded back when R&B had more than just a couple of good artists.
3. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) - Not as good as they or some other people think they are.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) - A gimmicky song that's worth a couple of listens only (unless your 8-years-old).

BRACKET 10
1. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - Beautiful piano and sentiment. If it doesn't touch you, there's a hole where your heart should be.
2. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - One of the few Prince songs that is actually better in the hands of another artist. Of course there's always Tom Jones doing "Kiss." (That's a joke, people).
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - Tough choices between 2-4 in this bracket. Love the deep sounding intro; Jack tuned his guitar to sound like a bass.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - Metal grows up. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not girlie, so stop your bitching and enjoy.

BRACKET 11
1. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) - Rocks hard for its era, and stands the test of time.
2. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) - Sweet, updated new wavey type of song. Only third or fourth best on the album, though.
3. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) - Catchy hook, funny lyrics, but he's done better.
4. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) - Because I'm made of flesh and bone, and not diodes and circuits, this one doesn't really appeal to me.

BRACKET 12
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) - I refer you all to the answer I gave song number 1 in Bracket 9. And by "you all" I'm talking about the one person who might actually read this.
2. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) - Inspirational soul.
3. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) - Don't know it off the top of my head, but by default it's better than No. 4.
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) - From "Paul's Boutique" on I love the Beasties, but before that, they were just gimmicky. The "Yakety Yak" of it's day ... or something like that.

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) - I grew up on classic-rock radio, and these songs are in my bones. Yes, the Eagles were/are jerks, but I still get a rush when those guitars kick in at the end.
2. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) - A mighty groove. The original is still the best.
3. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) - Dated, sure, but Leiber and Stoller had teen life down cold. And King Curtis’ sax solo -rules-.
4. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) - Eh. I much prefer several of the other songs on the debut.

BRACKET 10
1. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) - Simple, pure, and brilliant. One of the best covers ever, and it elevates a really good album to classic status.
2. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) - Somewhat overrated; I‘ve grown to love the two songs that follow it on IMAGINE more. A great record nonetheless.
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) - I’m cheating a bit here - I probably like #4 more. But I can’t have a White Stripes song at the bottom of a bracket, and this is one of their best.
4. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) - Of course the early stuff is more “pure”. But I’ve always loved this song and make no apologies for it.

BRACKET 11
1. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) - Wow, a lot of people here seem to intensely dislike this song and Kanye in general. I disagree strongly on both counts. I think it’s hilarious, and brilliantly produced.
2. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) - Like “Yakety Yak”, it perfectly captures adolescent frustration. Killer riff, killer vocal.
3. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) - There are several songs on the album that I like more, in some cases a lot more.
4. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) - I probably haven’t listened to it enough to judge it fairly. But again, there are songs on their subsequent records I enjoy more.

BRACKET 12
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) - See Bracket 9. I still have to listen to it all the way through whenever I come across it. An astonishing arrangement, knowing exactly when to bring in every element.
2. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) - Did someone say “astonishing arrangement”? In a lot of other brackets, this perfect pop recording would be #1.
3. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) - Do I feel guilty ranking this ahead of #4? A little. But it’s just fun, fun, fun, even if it gives no hint of what these guys were really capable of.
4. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) - A great song that unfortunately happens to bring up the rear here.

BRACKET 9
1. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” Hands down favorite in this bracket, I still wonder why Wilson isn't ranked higher overall.
2. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” If we want long Stone Roses jams, I'll take I Am The Resurrection over Fools Gold anyday.
3. The Eagles, “Hotel California" Anytime I think Hotel California, the album, I think my dad's old 8 track player and how Wasted Time was cut in half you'd advance to track 3 to hear the end of it, and anytime I try to listen to Hotel California song now I just can't get into it, or the Eagles.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” Not a favorite. Enjoy more "Fun" songs in countdown.

BRACKET 10
1. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) This is my "tough" bracket for the week. I just love any arrangement of this song, Prince or Sinead. Just an all around classic I never thought would have been regarded classic in 2007 in 1990, but 17 years on a fav.
2. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) I really love the simplicity of Jack White's songs, for some too simple, but if 7 Nation Army is the song that defines them most, I'm fine with that.
3. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) Just too watered down compared to there earlier stuff, but not as bad as there latter day stuff. Gimme something off Kill Em all or Master and we'll be talking different.
4. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) I can't believe I'm putting this in 4th in this bracket, but I'd be prone to skip this quicker than Sandman on any given day. I still enjoy "Imagine" the album (Crippled Inside, Jealous Guy, How Do You Sleep) but this song just isn't tops to me.

BRACKET 11
1. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) I like Kanye, I do wonder if this is gonna be considered "A Classic" in 10 years or so though.
2. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) C'mon, everybody and their Uncle Charlie has hummed this song in their head one time or another.
3. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) Can't place this one above top 2, but a great shuffling song. (56 all time though?)
4. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)I get the influence, I don't particularly enjoy Kraftwerk's songs.

BRACKET 12
1. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) Curtis Mayfield wrote some of my favorite Soul classics and this is deserving of a top spot.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) Not my favorite Zeppelin tune (Overexposure?) and I think People Get Ready pulls an upset in this bracket.
3. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” Not a fan.
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” Anything Paul's Boutique and on, I'm with the Boys. Licensed To Ill just really annoys me now.

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
2. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
3. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965)
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958)

BRACKET 10
1. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)

BRACKET 11
1. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)
2. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
3. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)

BRACKET 12
1. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
2. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
3. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)

These songs can be listened complete and free in radio3net.ro

The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990)
The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)
Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991)
Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)
Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)

9:
Hotel California - Great Song
Fools Gold - Making Dance Music worth listening to - lovin' it
Midnight Hour - Pretty good - a little too ordinary for my taste
Yakety Yak - Fun - but not that good...

10:
Seven Nation Army - Amazing song - best riff since Led Zeppelin
Nothing Compares 2 U - Beautiful Ballad
Imagine - Great song
Enter Sandman - Too bad I have to rate this - I despise this song - uurgh! The worst Metalica single ever imo

11:
Summertime Blues - OK Rock n'roll - 1st place mainly achieved because of the low quality of it's contenders
Take Me Out - OK - a little ordinary
Gold Digger - not as good as the Ray Charles original
Autobahn - Never understood Kraftwerk

12:
Stairway - amazing song - especially the second half :O
Walk on by - fine tune
People Get Ready - ok
Fight for your right to party - stupid, awful crap imo

BRACKET 9
1. The Eages - Hotle California
2. The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
3. Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour
4. The Coasters - Yakety Yak

BRACKET 10
1. John Lennon - Imagine
2. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
3. Metallica - Enter Sandman
4. Sinead O'Conner - Nothing Compares 2 U

BEACKET 11
1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2. Kanye West - Gold Digger
3. Kraftwerk - Autobahn
4. Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues

BRACKET 12
1. The Impressions - People Get Ready
2. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
3. Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right
4. Dionne Warwick - Walk On By

BRACKET 9
41. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) I really never thought I would choose this, but given the competition it's the best. It really is a great song, but is one of those that I've heard so much that I always skip it when it comes on my iPod.
88. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) Kind of a cool song, but nothing exceptional
169. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) I thought I hadn't heard this song, but I figured out that it's the song at the end of The Stone Roses first CD. I find this song incredibly innocuous and I usually just turn off the album after "I Am the Resurrection." Are we sure that that song's not supposed to be #169? I mean, it has the energy that this song lacks. Honestly, I don't dislike this song, but the entire Stone Roses album is better than this song.
216. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) Humm. This song is irritating.

BRACKET 10
I don't care for any of these songs that much, so I'll just see what I've listend to the most on iTunes.
152. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) 8 listens
105. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) 4 listens
24. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) 2 listens
233. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) 0 listens (not worth taking up space on my computer)

BRACKET 11
56. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004) This song is really just a new classic. It only narrowly beats Summertime Blues. Everything about it just screams perfect pop song.
73. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958) A great beat, and it led to one of my favorite Who songs, so I'll always appreciate this.
184. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005) It's a song that bugs me, but lord help me if I don't love it. It's like Kanye is daring me to have this much fun making music, and I just can't.
201. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974) The bottom of a strong bracket. Admitedly, the one I've heard the least and maybe if I'd heard this song a few more times it could beat Kanye.

BRACKET 12
137. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965) Awesome, awesome, awesome. I really love Curtis Mayfield's voice. It soothes and comforts on this song, as it should give the message. Plus, it sums up the way the culture was changing in that era. Timely and timeless.
120. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964) There's a feebleness in Warwick's voice that really fits this song perfectly
9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971) I agree with Honorio, way too pretentious. Also, it's overplayed and I know that has definitely changed the way I think of this song.
248. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986) Never really got the Beasties that much. Plus, I hate frat boys and they just could not stop playing this at my school...in this millenium.

B9:
1. Fools Gold (Noncontinental Europeans' definite impact on the 1990's - and still astonishingly hypnotic)
2. Yakety Yak (Leiber/Stoller's highly unimaginative dada masterpiece - the most willingly annoying rock'n'roll song of the 1950's - Zappa, anyone?)
3. In The Midnight Hour (every bite of this song from brass to drum goes tremendously in-ya-damn-face-honky!)
4. Hotel California (good story, great milestone for MOR - but what else?)

B10:
1. Nothing Compares 2 U (O'Connor's very personal Hurt. period.)
2. Imagine (I never bought that charming simplicity, but my childhood did)
3. Seven Nation Army (aka Cheers to yours, Ultras, Go on and destroy that song)
4. Enter Sandman (well mannered early 1990's tightness, two steps away from math rock, but thoroughly refined by their descendants)

B11:
1. Gold Digger (US of A's latest decent lyrical reply to Elvis Costello)
2. Take Me Out (mid-2000's Ultimate Lunchables Box)
3. Autobahn (German functionalism monotonously depicting itself = there's a lot of childish humour in this song, but wait, what about the stereotypes??)
4. Summertime Blues (well, teenage angst did more claustrophobic jobs 20 years ahead, but the hooks still fit)

B12:
1. People Get Ready (thrillingly sluggish, cause we all know by now, Curtis was just sharpening his teeth)
2. Walk On By (ok, it was Stan Getz who got some salt, and later on Isaac Hayes who added a lot of pepper to it, but after all it was Bacharach's most distinctive female voice who got the meal cooked on time)
3. Fight For Your Right (perfect 80's urban hedonistic fun politics for then and now suburban kids all over Planet Bilge)
4. Stairway To Heaven (Pop Music's very own "Gone With The Wind"-schmock pretentiousness - and (..sigh..) self-redeeming immortality of course)

BRACKET 9

1. “In the Midnight Hour” – This song has a lot deeper soul than many of even the best melodic pop of the sixties. One of the most naturally flowing horn breaks of anything I’ve heard.

2. “Yakety Yak” – Another fun song, earns bonus points for its all-age appeal. The goofy lyrics and ‘animated’ delivery allowed to be on Tiny Toon Adventures and olides radio!

3. “Fools Gold” – I took an extra listen this morning, and this really doesn't stand out for me.

4. “Hotel California” – This was #1 on an earlier overrated song thread. Way too long, very dated, just tired and boring.

BRACKET 10

1. “Imagine” – Beautiful, with lyrics that anyone can interpret and understand. No wonder this song is so timeless.

2. “Seven Nation Army” – Though it doesn’t stand out as the greatest White Stripes song ever, this is still awesome, with an air of classic rock-n-roll confidence that you don’t find in the self-conscious music of this decade

3. “Nothing Compares 2 U” – I can’t really remember how this song goes beyond the title. I have distant memories of the close-up video, and that has shaped my image of the song.

4. “Enter Sandman” – Another song that I put on my overrated list. Maybe seeing the aging Metallica members performing underwhelming material for the last 15 years makes this song less menacing or powerful that it ever was.

BRACKET 11
One of the toughest brackets yet!

1. “Autobahn” – Only the slightest edge over #2, this was such a unique sound experience when I finally heard it from radioblog. I’ve never heard the 23 minute version (I don’t think I want to), but the patience in which the 9 minute progresses without ever feeling tired is compelling.

2. “Take Me Out” – Heard this song the 1st time through a low quality streaming e-zine, and I think the dirtying up of the sound really helped me appreciate this song more. Like everyone, the fake start jumped out at me. I love getting two songs for the price of one.

3. “Summertime Blues” – I am more familiar with the Who version at Live at Leeds, but I can’t knock the original.

4. “Gold Digger” – Good very easily be a #2 on almost any other bracket. What a catchy song that makes me less irritated with mainstream hip-hop.

BRACKET 12

1. “Stairway to Heaven” – If there was anything a little less overplayed on this bracket, this would go down. But among the very top songs in AM this is one of the greats.

2. “People Get Ready” – Similar to the earlier “Shout”, there’s something about the energetic image that songs from these male vocal Motown groups (this is Motown right?) conjures up.

3. “Walk On By” – Although this song is very middle-brow and safe compared to other music, it’s still very sweet.

4. “Fight For Your Right (To Party)” Eww, why did the Beasties have to come in and trash this soothing bracket with this obnoxious song?

You know, I also assumed the Impressions were on Motown, but apparently not--their sixties records were released on ABC-Paramount.

I also doubted whether "Shout" was a Motown single, so I checked--it wasn't, BUT the Isley Brothers did sign with Motown in 1965, which I would never have guessed.

A list of other Motown acts that have appeared or will appear in bracketology (probably incomplete, as I'm writing this fast):

Smokey Robinson/Miracles, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Temptations, Martha & the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Jackson 5/Michael Jackson.

Now THAT'S a record label...but I still don't like Berry Gordy.

oops, I took a listen to a clip of People Get Ready, and all this time I thought it actually was the song that went "Get Ready, 'cause here I come", which is a lot faster paced that this Impressions one. Sorry about my ignorance, all you fans of the real "People Get Ready".

Anyone know the song I mistook the Impressions one for? I'm sure it's a Temptations or Four Tops song.

Temptations...pretty good song, too. (AM has it at #2132)

Bracket 9:
1.Stone Roses "Fool's Gold"
2."In The Midnight Hour" (A Close 2nd)
3."Yakety Yak"
4."Hotel California" (I hate the friggin Eagles!!!)

Bracket 10:
1."Seven Nation Army" (perhaps my least fav WS song, but it still wins)
2."Imagine"
3."Nothing Compares 2 U"
4."Enter Sandman"

Bracket 11:
1."Take me Out" Easy choice, the other 3 are nothing more than OK...

Bracket 12:
1."Stairway To Heaven"
2."Fight For Your Right"
3."People Get Ready"
4.Walk On By"

Muchas gracias Honorio por la traducción. Thanks to Honorio by the translation.

BRACKET 9
1- Wilson Pickett, In the Midnight Hour (1965), a brand new rhythm.
2- The Coasters, Yakety Yak (1958), the world of rock is too transcendent, someone must reward the sense of humour of this song.
3- The Stone Roses, Fools Gold (1989), boring.
4- The Eagles, Hotel California (1976), it’s really only a pretty melody with a guitar solo quite tedious.

BRACKET 10
1- The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army (2003), the many ways to use an electric guitar.
2- Sinéad O?Connor, Nothing Compares 2 U (1990), a great song for a great voice.
3- Metallica, Enter Sandman (1991), very poor melody but beautiful noise.
4- John Lennon, Imagine (1971), it’s impossible to imagine such world, dear John.

BRACKET 11
1- Kanye West, Gold Digger (2005), if someone must represent hip-hop in the final phases of this game, Kanye West deserves it.
2- Eddie Cochran, Summertime Blues (1958), one of the five or six foundations of that thing we love so much: rock and roll
3- Franz Ferdinand, Take Me Out (2004), two songs into one, both excellent.
4- Kraftwerk, Autobahn (1974), this bracket is so tough; I’m sorry for not being able to put in better position this kaleidoscopic song.

BRACKET 12
1- Dionne Warwick, Walk On By (1964), it goes so slowly that it seems that it’s going to stop but "walk on by (don't stop)"
2- The Impressions, People Get Ready (1965), a classic soul ballad with great performances and vocal harmonies and elegant arrangements...
3- Beastie Boys, Fight for Your Right (To Party) (1986), rowdies, insolents, amusing fellows
4- Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven (1971), I like it but there’s a lot of competition.

My votes

BRACKET 9
Really tough
88. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965) gets the slight edge for his heartrending passion.
41. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976) is a perennial winner in terms of a complete package of great lyric and music.
216. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958) loses a bit because of its novelty leanings.
169. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989) I'll confess the charms of the Stone Roses have mostly eluded me.

BRACKET 10
233. Metallica, “Enter Sandman” (1991) Never thought I'd choose Metallica over Lennon but I have to admit I skip "Imagine" sometimes on my MP3 player and almost never skip this one.
105. Sinéad O’Connor, “Nothing Compares 2 U” (1990) Improves on His Purpleness
24. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971) Though it's not among my favorite Lennon tunes, it's definitely a classic.
152. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003) Has the potential to move up over time but for right now it lands last.

BRACKET 11
This bracket was the easiest since I don't really like #3 and #4. Cochran is far and away the winner..a timeless statement of teen angst. "Gold Digger" is one of the catchier rap ditties in recent memory though.

73. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
184. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
56. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
201. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)

BRACKET 12
Guess it's my bias but 2 spiritually minded lyrics take spots 1 and 2 in my bracket voting with Dionne in 3rd. Party boys the Beasties distant in 4th.

9. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
137. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
120. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
248. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)

BRACKET 9
1. The Eagles, “Hotel California” (1976)
I'm not a big Eagles fan, but what a standout song this is.
2. Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour” (1965)
Great song, but it annoys me a bit that this song is always chosen before "Mustang Sally" by critics.
3. The Stone Roses, “Fools Gold” (1989)
I have always wondered why a song with such a great beat don't give me more.
4. The Coasters, “Yakety Yak” (1958)
Not among the best of the '50s.

BRACKET 10
Definitely the strongest bracket of the week.
1. John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
Lennon's swan song is amazingly beautiful. I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate it.
Wonderful as well, altough probably I like the "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" album as a whole even more.
3. The White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army” (2003)
Shows White Stripes at the purest. Simplicity to an amazing effect.
I loved this song so much when it came. Too bad it
ended up in this group.

BRACKET 11
1. Kraftwerk, “Autobahn” (1974)
Works better at home than on the actual Autobahn (too much noise from the car)
2. Franz Ferdinand, “Take Me Out” (2004)
I have been so tired of 'britpop' lately. Probably it's this song's fault. It set the standards too high. Or it might be Arctic Monkeys.
3. Eddie Cochran, “Summertime Blues” (1958)
Yup, that's a fine guitar riff.
4. Kanye West, “Gold Digger” (2005)
Definitely number four here.

BRACKET 12
1. Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By” (1964)
So cool. I love the arrangement. Many of the other Bacharach-David songs also deserve a high place at AM.
2. Led Zeppelin, “Stairway to Heaven” (1971)
I struggle with this song. How much do I really like it?
3. The Impressions, “People Get Ready” (1965)
Beautiful, but Curtis was more interesting after going solo. Why are none those songs in the top 256?
4. Beastie Boys, “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” (1986)
Has to go as number four. But this IS fun.

hotel california - Just a great song
fools gold - The stone roses are great and so is this song. I prefer the 4-minute single version
in the midnight hour - Good song just a little over date
yakety yak - Sounds great!!.... After a lot of beer

imagine - A song of hope or despair? This is the essential Lennon song
nothing compares 2 u - One of the greatest voices of the '90's
seven nation army - Best song by the white stripes so far. But I'm simply not a white stripes lover
enter sandman - This is where metallica started to die

summertime blues - Good enough to win a weak bracket
take me out - Like most people here I think this song is a little overrated and there are better songs on their debut album
autobahn - Must have been great at the time it was released. Sounds a little simplistic to me now
gold digger - No comments

stairway to heaven - One of my all time favourites, great song
people get ready - Very close to number one but I just can't put it above Led zeppelin. Beautiful song though.
walk on by - I really like the 12 minute Isaac Hayes version. But it wouldn't be there without this one
fight for your right - Teenage fun, I guess…