Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Return to Cookie Mountain, 99 of all time

What the hell is going on in this world???

Re: Return to Cookie Mountain, 99 of all time

I bought that album because of all the acclaim and wish I had just waited. It's pretty terrible.

Great album, but a placing in the top 100 might be a bit much. Among the best 10 albums of 2006 in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing them live in a couple of days.

Nothing from 2006 should be in the top 500,let alone top 100...

No 06 was an amazing year. I could think of ten albums that should be in the top 100.

ok, that remark CANNOT go unchallenged. Pray, do tell, which 2006 masterpieces are more deserving than Elephant, Physical Graffiti, Trans-Europa Express, Grace, Bitches Brew, Imagine, Swordfishtrombones, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Raw Power, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Parallel Lines, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Funeral, At Fillmore East, Off the Wall, Talking Book, Natty Dread, Tommy, Paul's Boutique, Lady Soul, Elvis Presley, Rust Never Sleeps and Court and Spark?

Hey Henrik, I know that RtCM has gotten all of its acclaim from End of Year Lists so far, ios have to ask, what is the End of Year to All Time ratio when it comes to weighing lists?

RTCM is great and definitely not overrated. Every track-Playhouses, Wolf Like Me, Tonight, Blues From Down Here, I Was a Lover-is GENIUS. It just takes a little time to really grasp how great and unique it really is. I listen to it at least once a week now...

Elephant = Masterpiece? It doesn't belong in the company of all those other albums you rolled off, that's for sure. And it definitely doesn't deserve top billing. TVOTR can give that record a run for its money at least. White Blood Cells is much better.

I believe The Knife's Silent Shout is the only 2006 album in my personal top 100.

Easy! Let's Get Out of This Country, the Life Pursuit, Someone to Drive You Home, The Ballad of the Broken Seas, Standing in the Way of Control, Alright,Still, Through the Window Pane, Back to Black, Black Holes and Revelations, The Trials of Van Occupanther, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

06 was easily better than 00, 05 and so far 07. What people like about this year is everyone is recognizable like the White Stripes, LCD Soundsystem, Blonde Redhead, Of Montreal and Arcade Fire. 06 had some amazing new and obscure bands that nobody gave a chance. Artic Monkeys are over hyped because they were in there teens when they made it. Whatever!!!! Age was never a problem a teenage Robert Smith sang "Boys Don't Cry" or when Michael Jackson released "Off the Wall." Robert Plant released his bands' debut when he was the Artics age. Good music was accepted no matter how old someboday was. Had a 14 year old Joan Beaz been around today she would be laughed off the stage. Nowadays you can be young in music but not too young. Unless you want to make the top 40.

I don't even think some of those albums are those artist's best, let alone humanity's.

Maybe, just maybe 2006 will turn out to be the sleeper hit year but there is no way ten (or even three) albums released that year will ever become some of the 100 best albums of all time.

Hey Henrik, I know that RtCM has gotten all of its acclaim from End of Year Lists so far, ios have to ask, what is the End of Year to All Time ratio when it comes to weighing lists?

There are three cornerstones in the calculation of the album scores:
1) percentage of critics list "wins" against other albums
2) standard of the albums eligible for the critics lists
3) Amount of information

The most difficult thing to measure here is 2). For example, what is the standard of the 2006 albums (that were the only eligible albums for the end-of-2006 critics lists)?

For previous decades I have a lot of information from all the all-time lists about the standard of each year. For the most recent years, I think the best I can do is just to assume that they are similar to previous years. But 2006 should on the whole be slightly other recent years before because of 3) - lesser amount of information (EOY-lists only).

Looking back in time, although popular music has had its ups and downs, for example 1977 was overall superior to 1974-1976 and 1981 was overall inferior to 1977-1980, most years have been fairly similar to previous years. Also looking back, there are very few years with no albums in the all time top 100.

Having said all this, I am the first to agree that RtCM is not one of the 100 best albums of all time.

Well Bell and Sebastian and Camera Obscura have had better records. Those deserve to be in the top 100 as well. So 01,03 and 04 were awesome years too. What albums from those years would you say belongs in the top 100?

I guess this means Tom Waits is out of the top 100. For that alone I like TV on the Radio.

:(

It sucks. One good song (playhouses) and the rest is incredibly boring.

Well at least they're diverse. There have some great albums by nonwhite artists that deserved a #1 spot for quite some time.