The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bracketology: Week 2

BRACKET 5: this bracket is full of the gold standards of their particular genre. Nothing epic or life-changing, but all solid songs.

1. "Yesterday" - as close to lush pop perfection as you're going to get

2. "Rockafeller Skank" - from one the first albums that put so-called 'electronica' or 'dance music' on the map as a type of music that offered more depth that a repetitive beat might lead you to believe

3. "Superstition" - Solid groove, other Stevie songs give me a little something more

4. "Blowin' in the Wind" - I'm sure it was great when it was first released, but enough covers of this song put this is a dated folkie hippie era.

BRACKET 6

1. "Maggie May" - This wins out over Light My Fire because it is almost as long as that song, but manages to be full of singing and narrative lyrics.

2. "Light My Fire" - I can't demote this 60s staple too low. Even the extended organ solo is a nice touch.

3. "Crazy" - Only know this song in general, never listened to the original all the way through.

4. "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" - As with all JB songs I'm sure I would recognize the hook right away, but haven't heard this song in a long time, if at all.

BRACKET 7

1. Lou Reed "Walk on the Wild Side" - I knew about this song before I got into Velvet Underground, and I hadn't heard something so sly and cool and dark from music of that era, delivered with a kind of blunt descriptiveness that added a new attitude that could be included in musical expression.

2. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - The antithesis to Lou Reed, Sledge's soaring voice makes this a timeless and true expression of romance.

3. "Where Did Our Love Go" - Motown greatness. I love how these kind of songs just drive forward like a melody machine. It reflects the idea that pop singles only had about 3 minutes to do everything aurally that they could, and this song does that perfectly.

4. "This Land Is Your Land" - Another great song, we sung it a lot in elementary school. However, I don't come across the Guthrie sung version very much, and if we are ranking songs+performers this one can't be as hihg.

BRACKET 8
Wow, TOUGH bracket

1. "Jeremy" - The album Ten was one of the first albums I ever bought, and this song and its accompanying video cannot be ignored from any music fan coming of age in the early nineties.

2. "Once in a Lifetime" - A very weird song initially, but increasingly likeable with each listen. Beginning with a groove that sounds like gurgling water, we then get David Byrne singing/speaking/rapping exisential craziness over it all. Unique.

3. "Don't Worry Baby" - This is on my top 10 Beach Boys song list.

4. "Like a Rolling Stone" - I guess I'm not as rabid a Dylan fan as others (the only album I have is Blood on the Tracks). I have to give this song respect, but I really can't love this song very much, compared to the other 3 that have some historic signficance in my life or are just plain more listenable.

BRACKET 5
1. Stevie Wonder - Superstition
(Probably Stevie's best moment. He searched for the groove and found it.)
2. Bob Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind
(It's amazing how strong and simple this song is at the same time.)
3. The Beatles - Yesterday
(Such a beautiful tune, so hard to put it behind 1&2, but it is kinda flat in comparison.)
4. Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
(Just awful, I get a headache every time I try to play it.)

BRACKET 6
This is not a weak bracket!

1. James Brown - It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World
(What do you mean when you say this is outdated? Must be the lyrics as the melody and the arrangements are timeless, perfected. And I like the lyrics too, good message.)
2. Patsy Cline - Crazy
(Millions of jukebox-players can't be wrong. Gorgeous ballad.)
3. The Doors - Light My Fire
(Why do so many people hate the Doors? How could I put this at number 3? Would have been my number 1 in a lot of other brackets.)
4. Rod Stewart - Maggie May
(Yuk. If 'Rockafeller Skank' is my no. 256 then this is probably my no. 255. Gimme 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy'!)

BRACKET 7
Very easy to rank these four.

1. Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
(Coolest of the cool. Best song this week.)
2. The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
(Pop creators must have had a hard time since the 60s, as we all know that Motown and Supremes reached perfection.)
3. Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman
(I guess it's clear by now that I love good ballads. But somehow this has always been a bit too sweet.)
4. Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land
(Nowhere near the other three.)

BRACKET 8
Very hard to order 2-4.

1. Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
(Just hearing the intro...)
2. Pearl Jam - Jeremy
(I love how this story is told.)
3. Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
(Quirky and original.)
4. The Beach Boys - Don’t Worry Baby
(Great tune and of course great harmonies, but like 'Yesterday' it's a little flat in comparison to the others)

BRACKET 5

1. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972)My main man steve! Far from his best but great stuff all the same.

2. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963)Iconic. Classic. All that.

3. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965) Good song, though like many Beatles songs I find it overly sentimental

4. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998) Big Beat got old fast didn't it? Sounds terribly dated today. Still a bit of fun though.

BRACKET 6

1. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960) Most soulfull country hit ever?

2. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966) I'm first and foremost a sucker for his early 70s hardcore funk. But this is awsome too.

3. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967) Not a big band for me. But this tune is great.

4. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971) Loved The Faces. Stewart solo, meh..

BRACKET 7

1. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966) Timeless love song. Being my girlfriends fave tune is what puts it above "Wild Side".

2. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972) Great song.

192. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964) Great pop.

193. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947)Old school! Of great importance in many ways I guess, but not doing it for me.

BRACKET 8

1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965) Deserves the number one slot on the song list. Combines raging rock and epic writing better than any song.

128. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964) Great pop song from the master of pop songs. Even better ones to come.

129. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980) Cool song.

4. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991) Not in love with this band. I guess this should have connected with me in high school back in the 90s, but it never did. Annoying vocals.

BRACKET 5
33. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972) Steveie at his funkin' best!
96. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965) Good song. Whimsical, sad and playing at a department store near you.
224. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963) I've got a lot of other Dylan songs I wish were in the top 256, so we'll place Bob 3rd here with Blowin'.
161. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998) Right About Now, I'm hitting the next button.

BRACKET 6
97. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971) Pro-Stewart for anything from Every Picture, Dull Moment and Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? Everything else can go. Maggie is a classic! Move on baby!
225. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966) I almost feel guilty putting the godfather here, but so it goes. It's no Sex Machine, but it still gets you movin'.
32. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967) I love the Doors, and their 1st album, but there's times I'd just rather here When the Music's Over or The Soft Parade if I want an extended Doors tune. (Maybe have heard it 1 too many).
160. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960) This is another classic song that deserves the acclaim but can't hold a candle in the bracket. Patsy's voice was breathtaking!

BRACKET 7
64. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966) I can't see how any other song can win this bracket. Anytime this song comes on it just demands your attention and that's what makes it great.
65. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972) This song became Lou's biggest pop hit because it's just so sly and catchy and still is today.
192. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964) There's a couple other classics from the Motown conference I'd like to see advance, but this one doesn't cut it vs. Lou and Percy.
193. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947) Acclaimed, yes. An everyday must hear favorite no.

BRACKET 8
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965) Move along Bob.
256. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991) I love the song, but I still have troubles with TEN at times wishing it could have been produced better, but still a brilliant song.
129. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980) You know songs you can't disconnect from the video, this is one of em', still a great off the wall pop tune.
128. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964) Outstanding harmony as always but not a favorite to advance.

Here's my take:

BRACKET 5
1. Stevie Wonder- “Superstition"

This is an absolutely monstruous track. The funk flag is flown so high here. Coupled with the toe-curling bass is a set of wonderful lyrics. Stevie's arrival into megastardom couldn't have come with a better song.

2. Fatboy Slim- “The Rockafeller Skank”

Quirky and fun, this is one of the few Fatboy Slim songs that I dig. It's not as spectacular as it is made out to be, but is undeniably entertaining.

3. Bob Dylan- “Blowin’ in the Wind"

I'm not a Dylan fan, but this song is one of the more tolerable ones for me.

4. The Beatles- "Yesterday"

I should just come up with a standard reply for all the Beatles tracks. I've honestly listened to all the ones I've ranked so far, and I just don't like them.

BRACKET 6

1. James Brown- "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

This is my favorite James Brown song. Disarming and powerful, this is truly a timeless ballad.

2. The Doors- “Light My Fire”

While there are other Doors songs I prefer, "Light My Fire" deserves it notoriety. Like "Superstition", this is an apt launching pad to megastardom.

3 Patsy Cline- "Crazy"

I don't really like this song, but I can't deny its staying power. Truly a classic.

4. Rod Stewart- “Maggie May”

I actually like a lot of Rod Stewart's material, but this song has always just grated me.

BRACKET 7

1. Lou Reed- “Walk on the Wild Side”

We've all read about that serendipitous double bass line, but its cliche status does not detract from its beauty or its power. I actually place it 3rd on Transformer, but it is sublime.

2. Percy Sledge- "When a Man Loves a Woman"

Lilting, gorgeous ballad. This version is packed with power and true longing. Michael Bolton did his best to piss all over the legacy of this song, but he failed. Magical.

3. The Supremes- “Where Did Our Love Go”

I'm not a fan of the girl groups of the 60s (sensing a theme here?), but this song is fun in a bubble gum way, I suppose.

4. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land”

I can't believe this song is among the top 256.

BRACKET 8

1. Talking Heads- "Once in a Lifetime"

Unabashedly strange, the Talking Heads were never afraid of a good groove. And this one delivers!

2. Pearl Jam- "Jeremy"

I used to hate this song, mostly because Eddie Vedder scared the shit out of me. But as time has passed, I have grown to appreciate the desolation and hopelessness that creeps through.

3. Bob Dylan- "Like a Rolling Stone"

Sorry, guys. I just don't get it.

4. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964)

But it's better than this dreck!

BRACKET 5
1. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972)
This one gets a slight edge over Macca's entry because I'm almost always in the mood for this slinky groove..
2. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965)
but sometimes this comes off a bit mawkish. Depends on the day I hear it I guess.
3. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963)
The answer's still blowin'..
4. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998)
A great "party" song but ultimately a bit lighterweight than the competition...

BRACKET 6
1. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966)
I don't think I've ever heard a song so simultaneously chauvinist and tender. And James puts in a great vocal on it, too.
2. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960)
Patsy's voice is the sound of a heart splintering then shattering.
3. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971)
Not a huge Rod fan, but this is easily his finest moment.
4. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967)
Like the song but it's not as great as some of their others. ("Riders on the Storm" springs to mind..)

BRACKET 7
1. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966)
Percy preaches the gospel of love...
2. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947)
The unofficial U.S. anthem
3. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972)
Love the song...when I'm in the right mood for it.
4. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964)
Of the "big" Motown acts, I probably like the Supremes least. This tune is OK as far as I'm concerned and no more. "Reflections" is a far better song but less appreciated for some reason.

BRACKET 8
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965)
Dave Marsh explained the appeal of this best to me. It's a 10 minute long one-sided screed. You never hear this in real life..someone would always "butt in" before you'd get this type of monologue out.
2. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964)
Though they remain my favorite band, Bob gets the edge on this one.
3. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991)
I hated grunge with a capital H throughout its heyday. Now that there's some distance, I've learned to appreciate the subtle tensions in this song. Like "Better Man" more though.
4. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980)

Bracket 5

1. Yesterday
2. Blowin' In The Wind
3. The Rockafeller Skank
4. Superstition

Bracket 6

1. Light My Fire
2. Maggie May
3. It's A Man's Man's Man's World
4. Crazy

Bracket 7

1. Walk On The Wild Side
2. Where Did Our Love Go
3. When A Man Loves A Woman
4. This Land Is Your Land

Bracket 8

1. Like A Rolling Stone
2. Once In A Lifetime
3. Don't Worry Baby
4. Jeremy

BRACKET 5
33. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972) I love that bassline. This isn't my favorite Stevie song now, but it was the first one I heard.
96. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965) This is just a fairly perfect pop song.
161. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998) I'm sort of baffled that this song is so high. It's a rocking song, but I don't think it's a classic like many of the songs around this level.
224. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963) I've always loved the lyrical premise of this song, but I really don't care for Dylan's version of it.

BRACKET 6
97. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971) Some times in life you never think a Rod Stewart song will be your favorite of a pack of songs, but then you get a weak group like this. This is a really good song, but since the American Songbook series, Rod Stewart has lost a lot of the goodwill I had for him.
160. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960) A pretty good country ballad, but nothing exceptional in my mind.
32. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967) Can you say boring and pretentious? Well, that is more or less the Doors in a nutshell there.
225. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966) Can you say sexist? I'm a guy and it makes me cringe. I also just find it annoying and dull.

BRACKET 7
65. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972) Because of this line: "But she never lost her head, even when she was givin' head." Oh, and this line: "And the colored girls go 'do do do do do do do do.'" The little bass part is overly awesome and the lyrical uniqueness of it all is incredibly endearing. Isn't that why we all love Lou Reed?
192. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964) I like handclaps a lot. This is just perfect pop music and that's why they were as big as the Beatles for awhile.
193. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947) I've only heard this a couple times, and it's good, but admittedly, I probably don't listen to as much pre-60s music as I should.
64. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966) I've always found this song incredibly cheesy.

BRACKET 8
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965) There're only four songs I like more than this one and only one is in the top 256, so I'll probably help carry this one til the end. Honestly, how many songs change the overall trends of music?
129. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980) I just love the synth part, and the chorus, and pretty much everything about this song. A shame it has to go up against Bob.
128. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964) A great song, but never one of my personal favorites.
256. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991) I absolutely love Pearl Jam, but this video was more interesting than the song. I always though Betterman or Alive deserved the acclaim that this song received.

Slush,

James Brown actually developed "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" from lyrics written by a woman, Betty Newsome. Her words were derived from the Bible and her observations of some of her ex-boyfriends.

At least in this context, I don't think the lyrics are sexist, although one of the ex-boyfriends was the Godfather of Soul himself!

Let's see here...

Bracket 5

Stevie Wonder - Superstition (He got muppets to groove with this one. There is not logical argument that can stand up against that fact...)

Bob Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind (Dylan's my favorite. This song isn't. Still, good enough to oddly encourage most people to think of the man largely as a folk artist.)

Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank (I checked it out. Hawaii 5-O with the coolest stutter. That band kicks, if you can call it a band, cuz... :) )

The Beatles - Yesterday (Why are some of my least favorite songs by the Beatles in all these early brackets? I like the band when they got wild, when they got crazy, and when they played country-sad-ballad-man.)

Bracket 6

Patsy Cline - Crazy (WIlco tried, but they were too late. Patsy done did break my heart.)

Rod Stewart - Maggie May (Listen up, grandchildren, because no, gramps ain't senile yet, and nope, believe it or not, Rod didn't always suck. In fact, once he was brilliant.)

The Doors - Light My Fire (Solos that fly so high, and a lenghty jam section that doesn't get jammed.)

James Brown - It's a Man's Man's Man's Man's World (One of the worst of the man's tunes to always make the compilations.)

Bracket 7

Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land (I guess it is now so much of the nation's DNA that people hardly hear it when it plays nowadays although they still sing along. Our loss.)

Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman (Percy gets down on his knees and cries. You do, too.)

Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side (Hey, man. How did this dirty little ditty hit the charts? A great single from a man who rarely focused on singles.)

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go? (Sadly, to number four, even though it is a terrific tune.)

Bracket 8

Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone (Somebody mentioned the temptation to put the Heads over this song, but even the devil couldn't make him/her do it. Yeah, it is like that.)

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime (Mysteriously moving, even hidden like an oil well, underground, out of sight.)

The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby (Can you really put this many masterpieces in one bracket? You torture puppies, don't you?)

Pearl Jam - Jeremy (Oddly enough, years before Columbine. We bobbed our heads, but we didn't listen too closely...)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

BRACKET 5
1. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972) – One of my all-time favorites. Brilliant horns, cutting lyrics, and amazing keyboard and drum work from the man himself.
2. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998) – Better than the other two in this bracket? Maybe not, but after #1 it’s the one I’d most want to hear right about now…’bout now…’bout now…
3. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965) – Sure it’s been played way too much. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great song.
4. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963) – Historically, of inestimable importance; holds up pretty well, too. Shame it has to be #4 here.

BRACKET 6
1. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967) – I went back and forth on #1 here, but finally decided that even with the overexposure factor, I still get excited every time Densmore & Manzarek kick it off. Yes, the break goes on a little too long, but the rest is still amazing 40 years on.
2. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971) – At this point it’s probably only my 6th favorite song on its album, but it merits #2 here. Greatest use of mandolin in a rock song –ever-.
3. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966) – A brilliant single, featuring what at the time must have been a totally unexpected string arrangement.
4. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960) – Sorry, Patsy. Good song, but it brings up the rear in this company.

BRACKET 7
1. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972) – A wonderful, exceptionally well-arranged record. Kudos to Bowie and Reed for managing to get a heartfelt song about junkies and transvestites into the Top 20.
2. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966) – One of the great soul vocal performances of all time, with Roger Hawkins and the great Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section behind it.
3. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947) – Well. Seems a bit unfair to even put this in competition, doesn’t it? Obviously a classic, but I’m comfortable putting it here.
4. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964) – No disrespect intended placing it last, although it may be a bit more repetitive than it has to be.

BRACKET 8
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965) – This is the best track-for-track bracket so far. Too bad it contains this song. A titanic performance that deserves its all-time #1 ranking.
2. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980) – Would be #1 in almost any other group. The quintessential Heads recording.
3. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991) – One of the great songs of the 90s, although I like “Alive” and “Black” even more.
4. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964) – Boy, do I feel bad about this. A beautiful record that just happens to be the 4th-best song in this bracket.

Best mandolin ever? You and I will have words when we come to "Losing My Religion"...

Hmm, yeah, the mandolin part in "LMR" is pretty great as well. Its use in "Maggie" is iconic, though. Still have to give it the edge. If it's any consolation, "LMR" is my favorite R.E.M. song and will almost certainly win its bracket when the time comes, depending on what it's up against.

BRACKET 5:
1. Bob Dylan - Blowin In The Wind
2. The Beatles - Yesterday
3. Stevie Wonder - Superstition
4. Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank

BRACKET 6:
1. James Brown - It's A Man's Man's Man's World
2. Rod Stewart - Maggie May
3. The Doors - Light My Fire
4. Patsy Cline - Crazy

BRACKET 7:
1. Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman
2. Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land
3. The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
4. Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side

BRACKET 8:
1. Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
2. The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby
3. Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
4. Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Henrik,

Thanks for the info on James Brown. I'll have to give the song another listen now.

What? I can't believe this - Light My Fire might not be #1. It's EASILY #1 in that group - look how much higher ranked it is - it's not ranked higher for nothing...

Bracket 5:
1. "Superstition"-Bad Ass!!!
2. "The Rockafeller Skank"-Great Party Song
3. "Yesterday"-2nd most overrated Beatles Song
4. "Blowing In The Wind"

Bracket 6
1. "It's A Man's Man's World"- I was driving in my car the other day and this song was sandwiched between "Icky Thump" and "Head Like A Hole" on my iPod, it sounded geart between those two.
2. "Crazy"
3. "Maggie May"
4. "Light My Fire"

Bracket 7 (this Bracket is pretty weak)
1. "When A Man Loves A Woman"- This was a classic the day it was released
2-4 Flip a coin...

Bracket 8
1. "Jeremy" I can still remember being in college radio talking up PJ on how huge they were going to be, the problem was it took 6 months for them to break. The sad part is Jeremy may be the weakest single on the album.
2. "Once In A Lifetime"- I was 7 years old and a Talking Heads fan, it's never too early to become interested in good music.
3. "Like A Rolling Stone"
4. "Don't Worry baby"

BRACKET 5
1. Stevie Wonder, “Superstition” (1972) - This is one of his best, and it gets into every fiber of your being until you're involuntarily forced to move to it. Either that or you're already dead.
2. The Beatles, “Yesterday” (1965) - Beautiful ballad. A little cloying, but it's got pretty in spades.
3. Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind” (1963) - Dylan was one of the few people that made folk music listenable. But he's in a tough bracket here.
4. Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank” (1998) - A cool techno, dance, rock thing going on, but just not quite as good as the rest.

BRACKET 6
1. The Doors, “Light My Fire” (1967) - Oozes everything rock 'n' roll is supposed to be.
2. Rod Stewart, “Maggie May” (1971) - Most of his great songs are on one album, and this may be the best of them.
3. Patsy Cline, “Crazy” (1960) - Shows that country can be soulful, and she had a special emotive voice.
4. James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” (1966) - Solid stuff from the king of soul, but the competition is just too tough.

BRACKET 7
1. Percy Sledge, “When a Man Loves a Woman” (1966) - He puts his all into this one and it shows. It's probably why I don't know any of his other songs, he used up all his ability on this one.
2. Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land” (1947) - Simple songs can sometimes be the best. It's sad that people either forgot, or are ignorant of the strong protest themes of this song.
3. Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” (1972) - Somewhat overrated because it's an easy catchphrase. But still pretty cool.
4. The Supremes, “Where Did Our Love Go” (1964) - Classy soul, but they have a couple of better songs.

BRACKET 8
1. Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone” (1965) - Mick or Keith? Just kidding. Dylan plugging in was one of the watershed moments of rock, and this song is the best representative of that.
2. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1980) - And you may ask yourself, why is this song so great? Pinnacle of quirky, new-wave rock with great what-does-it-all-mean lyrics.
3. Pearl Jam, “Jeremy” (1991) - Classic grunge, even if this one is a little overwrought and not as good as some their or the genre's other songs.
4. The Beach Boys, “Don’t Worry Baby” (1964) - Just warmup for their myriad of better songs.

Muchas gracias Honorio por la traducción. Thanks to Honorio by the translation.

BRACKET 5
1.- Stevie Wonder, Superstition (1972), extraordinary soul-funk bomb
2.- Fatboy Slim, The Rockafeller Skank (1998), energy and irreverence.
3.- Bob Dylan, Blowin in the Wind (1963), a remainder of our collective memory but the best Dylan begins in 1965
4.- The Beatles, Yesterday (1965), they've got many other songs much more exciting

BRACKET 6
1.- Patsy Cline, Crazy (1960), a precious song, a worthy representation of the country music
2.- James Brown, It's a Man's Man's Man's World (1966), chilling performance
3.- The Doors, Light My Fire (1967), I'm hooked to that psychedelic-flavoured organ
4.- Rod Stewart, Maggie May (1971), pleasant listening

BRACKET 7
1.- Lou Reed, Walk on the Wild Side (1972), this song introduced me into the world of rock music and here I am still
2.- Percy Sledge, When a Man Loves a Woman (1966), prize for a great vocal performance
3.- The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go (1964), the necessary dose of simplicity to alternate with thicker songs
4.- Woody Guthrie, This Land Is Your Land (1947), an interesting message

BRACKET 8
1.- Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone (1965), unquestionable
2.- Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime (1980), in my opinion this is the best song from this extraordinary band of intellectual punk-funk.
3.- The Beach Boys, Don't Worry Baby (1964), other Beach Boys wonders will be for sure on the next rounds of this poll
4.- Pearl Jam, Jeremy (1991), too tough for me

Muchas gracias, Honorio, y otisredding tambien. Estoy muy alegre usted voté.

De nada, schleuse. Ha sido un placer.

Brachet 1

Superstition - Easy choice, by far the beset in this bracket
Yesterday & Blowin' in the wind - Good songs by great artists. I prefer yesterday just a little bit above Blowin' in the wind.
The rochafeller skank - Nice song when you're in the right mood.

Bracket 2

Light my fire - Not my favourite band but this is a great song.
It's a man's man's man's world - I'm also not a huge James Brown fan, but this is the best he ever did.
Crazy - I'm not very familiar with this song but it sounds good to me
Maggie May - Nothing special to me

Bracket 3

Walk on the wild side
Where did our love go
When a man loves a woman
This land is your land
Verry tough bracket. The first 3 are very close while number 4 comes far behind. I think I live on the wrong side of the ocean for liking this.

Bracket 4

Like a rolling stone - Simply the best (in this bracket)
Once in a lifetime - For a little while I've thought to put this at number 1 but I can't pass Bob Dylan
Don't worry baby - There are better Beach boys songs to come
Jeremy - Good song but Alive and Black are better

BRACKET 5
1- Stevie Wonder, “Superstition”
2- Fatboy Slim, “The Rockafeller Skank”
3- Bob Dylan, “Blowin’ in the Wind”
4- The Beatles, “Yesterday”

BRACKET 6
1- Rod Stewart, “Maggie May”
2- The Doors, “Light My Fire”
3- James Brown, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”