Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Week 1: The name of the game is...

I bumped into these very user-friendly sites

radioblogclub.com

projectplaylist.com

I heard a lot of the top AM songs for the first time at these places when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Honorio, thats an interesting point you raise. I guess it all just comes down to the styles of different eras. Justin Timberlake probably would have really sucked in the 1960s, but Bob Dylan wouldnt do much better on the 2006, 2007 charts.

And yes that is true Americans do take the view of what is 'industrially' done better. And i bet you're all assuming I'm American. Well in fact I'm Australian. But I'm still keeping my opinion that Justin Timberlake is better than Bob Dylan. It's hard to compare eras but I honestly think that if they were around the same time, any song Bob Dylan writes, Timbaland could produce something better for Justin to sing, and it would win over the teenage audience and more young people, who are the most common buyers of music.

But good to share opinions, its what the forums all about!!!

And dw my mates recon im a big loser for liking Justin, but i love it!

I'm not technically savvy enough to make useful suggestions about finding reasonably-priced mp3 files or otherwise hearing the listed songs, but thanks to all who have made good suggestions.

I'm just doing it with the iTunes store and greatest hits from my local used-CD bin for acts I don't know real well.

Sneak preview: I've got the next two weeks of songs ready to go, and, as far as I can judge, most people here will have heard almost all the songs for next week...although week 3 contains some fairly obscure ones. (These are guesses, obviously.)

As long as I'm bloviating here, just a reminder that voting on the first four brackets is open for another 3 1/2 days.

There are three ineligible ballots upthread (no explanations of rankings); I'm not going to be a d**khead and call anyone out by name, but if any of those voters wants to re-post with explanations, I'd love to include you. The standings are really close in two of the brackets (ok, ok, brackets 1 and 4), and it would be a shame to leave people out.

(Not that I'm complaining--there are already 16 good ballots posted, which is about twice what I was expecting.)

I'll start the thread for brackets 5-8 on Friday. I can't WAIT to see what y'all do with these
...must...not...say...any...more.

(BTW, the bleeped-out word above is obviously "duckhead".)

"Honorio, thats an interesting point you raise. I guess it all just comes down to the styles of different eras. Justin Timberlake probably would have really sucked in the 1960s, but Bob Dylan wouldnt do much better on the 2006, 2007 charts.

And yes that is true Americans do take the view of what is 'industrially' done better. And i bet you're all assuming I'm American. Well in fact I'm Australian. But I'm still keeping my opinion that Justin Timberlake is better than Bob Dylan. It's hard to compare eras but I honestly think that if they were around the same time, any song Bob Dylan writes, Timbaland could produce something better for Justin to sing, and it would win over the teenage audience and more young people, who are the most common buyers of music."

yeah...Bob Dylan's still around. In fact he just released a new album in 2006 and while it didn't sell as much as Timberlake's it was still one of the hottest albums of the year. And his audience IS teenagers and college kids, the same as Timberlake's. He's one of the few artists of the 60's who gets as much regard from teenagers as current music.

I think there'd be less than half a dozen songs in the top 256 that I've never heard.

Thanks for your answer, Richard. So you’re really a huge fan of JT. Not only you are defending him here in the forum but with your mates too…
I’ve found very interesting your point of view about the “era” factor. Of course, like jonmarck remind us, Dylan is still alive. And both “FutureSex/LoveSounds” and “Modern Times” have reached the #1 on Billboard Top 200 last year, although I suppose that the total sales of JT album were much higher than BD’s one. But, well, how many records will sell a 66-year-old Justin?
But yeah, let’s play the game. Let’s imagine a Bob Dylan born in 1981. Probably you’re right. A singer-songwriter with such nasal voice making political songs with an acoustic guitar and harmonica will cause little impression to everyone during the nineties. And since his musical background would be different maybe he would be the singer of a grunge band called The Highway 61ers or whatever. Ugh, maybe Dylan is a product of its times even more than Timberlake?. Well, talent (almost) always finds its way and Dylan has a lot of it.
And, what about a Timberlake born in 1941? Well, a handsome boy with a good voice always could have a nice career. Maybe he could be a teen idol singing Brill Building songs and being produced by Phil Spector. Maybe at the end of the sixties his stardom declined with Californian hippie bands assaulting the charts. Maybe he could face a drug addiction during the seventies. Maybe he could resurface during the eighties in nostalgia circuit.
Only joking, of course…

Very nice theory there Honorio, and certainly illustrates that both artists are products of their time.

I just listened to 'What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude a few times, now that is a pretty good song. Much better than My Love, Sexyback or pretty much any other song on the album.

BRACKET 1

1) "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry is more the king of rock 'n' roll than Elvis. He wrote his own songs.
2) "Ms. Jackson" - Rap's funky duo strike gold.
3) "Bittersweet Symphony" - I like it well enough, but more when the Rolling Stones did it.
4) "1 Thing' - Not bad for dance music.

BRACKET 2

1) "In My Life" - One of my favorite Beatles songs. It's a sweet reminisce of things past.
2) "You Really Got Me" - A swinging good time.
3) "Gloria" - I like Them.
4) "The Israelites" - A cool island vibe, I just don't like it as much as the rest.

BRACKET 3

1) "Sympathy for the Devil" - One of the coolest intros in rock, and the Stones at their darkest.
2) "Bring the Noise" - Brings it like hip-hop never had before.
3) "Walk This Way" - Cool collaboration. I'm old enough to remember the video on MTV. Shit, I'm old enough to remember when they had videos on MTV.
4) "Shout" - Cool wedding reception song, but not much more.

BRACKET 4

1) "My Generation" - I can hear the beginnings of punk attitude here.
2) "Ziggy Stardust" - Kind of a stretch as a concept, but a good song nonetheless.
3) "My Love" - Pretty good song, brilliant production, too bad the lyrics are kinda silly at times.
4) "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Never heard it, but the title is God-awful enough.

b1
bittersweet symphony: Classic rock song. Great tune whitch stays in your head for days
1 thing: Didn't know this song. So I downloaded it, listened to it a few times and did not turn it off. So I think I like it…
ms. Jackson: Blown away by 'Hey ya!'
maybellene: Forget about the importance and there's nothing more left than just Rock and roll

b2
you really got me: How good can a simple song be… probably the best of all 4 brackets
gloria: Nothing beats the original
in my life: Nice beatles song but far to much overrated
the israelites: Though I like reggae music this song never really got me

b3
shout: How is it possible to put the 4 worst songs out of 16 in 1 basket? However, shout is just a little better than the rest
walk this way: Avarage Aerosmith song polluted with some rap
bring the noise: I listened to the "it takes a nation…" album two times. But I promised myself to not hurt my ears again
sympathy for the devil: Just a principal matter

b4
born slippy: This song still gets better every time I listen to it
ziggy stardust: Not his best song but that says more about Bowie than about this song
my generation: Revolutionairy song, but I never understood what's so good about it
my love: Sounds nice to me but not a classic one

I cannot explain my vote because I do not express myself well in English. Sorry.

BRACKET 1
1 OutKast, “Ms. Jackson” (2000)
2 Chuck Berry, “Maybellene” (1955)
3 Amerie, “1 Thing” (2005)
4 The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” (1997)

BRACKET 2
1 Desmond Dekker, “The Israelites” (1969)
2 The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” (1964)
3 Them, “Gloria” (1964)
4 The Beatles, “In My Life” (1965)

BRACKET 3
1 The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” (1968)
2 Public Enemy, “Bring the Noise” (1987)
3 Run-D.M.C., “Walk This Way” (1986)
4 The Isley Brothers, “Shout (Parts 1 and 2)” (1959)

BRACKET 4
1 The Who, “My Generation” (1965)
2 Underworld, “Born Slippy (Nuxx)” (1995)
3 David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” (1972)
4 Justin Timberlake, “My Love” (2006)

I'm not a music critic, and therefore find it difficult to make a comment about every single song.

BRACKET 1
1. Chuck Berry, “Maybellene” (1955) - Ground-breaking for 1955. Almost sounds like rap in some parts.
2. The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” (1997) - Nice use of orchestra, even if it was stolen.
3. Amerie, “1 Thing” (2005)
4. OutKast, “Ms. Jackson” (2000)

BRACKET 2
1. The Beatles, “In My Life” (1965) - timeless classic
2. The Kinks, “You Really Got Me” (1964) - great rock tune
3. Them, “Gloria” (1964)
4. Desmond Dekker, “The Israelites” (1969)

BRACKET 3 - favorite bracket this round
1. The Rolling Stones, “Sympathy for the Devil” (1968) - My favorite RS tune
4. The Isley Brothers, “Shout (Parts 1 and 2)” (1959) - Overplayed, but still classic
3. Public Enemy, “Bring the Noise” (1987) - Not my favorite PE song.
2. Run-D.M.C., “Walk This Way” (1986)

BRACKET 4
1. David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust” (1972) - love this track.
2. The Who, “My Generation” (1965) - A classic but a little boring.
3. Underworld, “Born Slippy (Nuxx)” (1995)
4. Justin Timberlake, “My Love” (2006)

Here we go!

BRACKET 1

1. OutKast- "Ms. Jackson"

Delectable groove set to a clever set of lyrics. This song was everywhere in 2001, and it makes me long for the days of decent popular rap.

2. The Verve- "Bittersweet Symphony"

Unabashedly beautiful and disarming. I can't deny it.

3. Chuck Berry- “Maybellene”

I don't know if I'll ever be a fan of his, but I respect the hell out of Chuck Berry.

4. Amerie- “1 Thing”

Unlike this mess. Sounds like Beyonce, and Beyonce sucks the big one.

BRACKET 2

1. The Kinks- “You Really Got Me”

Dirty and raw. Among the only 60s music I can tolerate!

2. Them- “Gloria”

This is second in a weak bracket, only for inspiring Patti Smith.

3. Desmond Dekker- "The Israelites"

I wasn't familiar with this song, and it appears I wasn't missing much.

4. The Beatles- “In My Life”

I detest the Beatles. Sue me!

BRACKET 3

1. Run-D.M.C.- "Walk This Way"

The marriage of hip hop and rock was actually a beautiful thing once. I love Aerosmith's version, and I love this update.

2. Public Enemy- "Bring the Noise"

Sigh....if only all rap actually had a point of view. Undeniably powerful.

3. The Rolling Stones- “Sympathy for the Devil”

I'm not a Stones fan, but I can get with this on occasion.

4. The Isley Brothers- “Shout (Parts 1 and 2)”

Perhaps I'm too young to appreciate this, or perhaps I've heard it at too many weddings, but this song just irks me.

BRACKET 4

1. David Bowie- "Ziggy Stardust"

I think this song is overrated compared to the other songs on the album, but it wins a weak bracket.

2. Underworld- "Born Slippy (Nuxx)"

I wasn't familiar with this, but it seems pretty cool from first listen.

3. The Who- “My Generation”

I hate this song only marginally less than I hate Justin Timberlake.

4. Justin Timberlake- “My Love”

Justin Timberlake is nothing but a coattails-riding, twerpy scenester. He would record himself taking a dump if it was trendy. No musical or artistic integrity. All credit to the beat should go to Timbaland.

Otis, tío, puedo echarte una mano si quieres. Envíame tus comentarios a mi dirección de correo y los traduzco (mientras no sea mucho curro, no envíes 4-5 folios).
I'm telling Otisredding that I could (try to) translate...

Gracias Honorio así lo haré porque usando "herramientas del idioma" de Google no es suficiente.

Muchas gracias, Honorio.

otisredding, lo siento que mi español no es muy bueno. Leeré su balota cuando consigo su traducción.

(I wrote this painstakingly out of half-remembered high school Spanish and babelfish.altavista.com; it is probably very bad Spanish.)

bracket 1

1- outkast "mrs jackson"
2- chuck berry "maybellene"
3- the verve "bittersweet symphony"
4- amerie "one thing"

bracket 2

1-desmond dekker "the israelites"
2-the kinks "you really got me"
3- them "gloria"
4- the beatles "in my life"

BRACKET 3