Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It's June...so what are your favorite songs of the year so far?

Here's a thread to share your love for songs that have been released this year. Any number of songs is cool, I just picked 25 because it seemed natural. My list is heavily weighted to 5 artists, as their albums have all completely taken me by storm.

I'll post my list countdown style.

25. Björk- "I See Who You Are"

In this wonderful ode to her daughter, Björk urges a celebration of life rather than a fear of death. It really reminds me of "Cover Me", and that's always a good thing.

24. !!!- "A New Name"

Secondary vocalist John really shines in this one. It starts off in typically quirky, groovy fashion, but then it launches into a gloriously ethereal and rhythmic chorus as he repeatedly pleads for a new name. Sublime!

23. TV Rock vs. Dukes of Windsor- "The Others"

TV Rock takes a rather pedestrian indie track and turns it into a dancefloor classic. The chorus is haunted by the ghost of the 80s, which naturally makes me giddy.

22. LCD Soundsystem- "North American Scum"

I just imagine hot brunette chicks dancing on tables to this funky, Princely track. James Murphy comments on the xenophobia toward North Americans and makes it deliriously fun. Those Princely yelps are a big plus!

21. Arcade Fire- "Black Mirror"

The opener to Neon Bible starts off quietly enough, but a quiet, sinister piano riff forbodes the fury to come. Wonderfully spooky and grandiose, it really sets the tone for the greatness to follow.

20. Chromeo- "Fancy Footwork"

The title track from their second album is all swagger and sass. Of course, the funk is present, and the incorporation of the robotic female voice takes it up another level. Two step!

19. !!!- "Yadnus"

This bluesy number borrows the thump of Gary Glitter but adds some ballsy posturing and struts along wonderfully.

18. Chromeo- "Opening Up"

The most wonderfully executed synth bass I've heard in a long time anchors this rather sweet song about the effects of having a woman in your life. That talkbox is too fun!

17. Björk- "Innocence"

This jolting, ecstatic soon-to-be single jumps off of Volta with great pizzazz. It recalls "I Go Humble" and "Alarm Call", but adds the stop/start pulse of Timbaland's beats. Another celebration of what it is to be human that Björk is superior in creating.

16. Arcade Fire- "Bad Vibrations/Black Wave"

What can I say? I'm a sucker for epic songs backed with chilling female vocals. It starts off as the rather fun and light-hearted "Bad Vibrations" before launching into the ominously potent "Black Wave".

15. Chromeo- "100%"

Silky, smooth, sax-laden ballad that it as sleek as the 80s songs it references. Vintage sexiness and smoothness ooze with the warm synths and lascivious guitar solos. Dreamy!

14. LCD Soundsystem- "New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down"

One of the most unexpected moments of the year for me came when I heard this for the first time. Even though "All My Friends" also shocked me with its bleeding heart, I didn't expect a sweeping power ballad from LCD Soundsystem. James Murphy laments the loss of his beloved New York here, and totally nails it. Great to sing to!

13. Chromeo- "Bonafied Lovin'"

Blistering guitars set this song aflight with the backdrop of such a delicious groove. Geeky, nerdy funk and I love every ounce of it. It goes straight for the hips.

12. Björk- "Pneumonia"

The saddest song from Volta is also the most tender. The French horns add an air of cinematic grandeur that sent "New World" into the stratosphere. Totally disarming.

11. !!!- "Heart of Hearts"

Wonderfully intense and tense, this juggernaut of a song launched Myth Takes in great fashion. The sassy female vocals add flair to a song with a ton of it already. I love the way it shifts gears toward the end.

10. Chromeo- "Call Me Up"

The comparisons to Minneapolis Funk are valid in this song. I can totally envision Morris Day on the mic of this jolt to the groin. The humor is there too with the hysterical segment where the girl fails to remember her guy's number. She even sounds like a Prince chick. I always repeat this song when I hear it.

9. Arcade Fire- "My Body Is a Cage"

The closer to Neon Bible starts at barely a whisper, but like all gospel songs (and that is really how I see this song), it builds over time and sinks its teeth right into the soul. It captures the modern plague of fear and the yearning for physical and spiritual freedom perfectly. Stunning.

8. Björk- "Dull Flame of Desire"

The highlight of Volta borrows lyrics from an old poem and portrays it as a longing, scintillating duet between Björk and the ever-androgynous Antony. His voice is a perfect complement to Björk's and carries the emotion beautifully. The sensual lyrics sizzle as the muted desire grows and grows until it shrieks its presence. Toe-curling!

7. LCD Soundsystem- "Get Innocuous!"

The opener to the epic Sound of Silver drenches Kraftwerk's "The Robots" in liquid sheet metal. The almost indiscernable vocals remind me of Remain in Light, but with a much more dance-worthy backing. When it launches into the bratty girl's repetition of "You can normalize", I lose my shit. This song is so hot that it comes off its hinges at the end. Irresistible sensory overload.

6. Chromeo- "Tenderoni"

Everything I've loved about synth-funk is present in this song. Distorted vocals, a nasty synth bass, cowbell, soul-clapping, fade ins, fade outs- the works! And I haven't heard a line as fun as "Fo sho if I show you how to do my dance well maybe then you'll let me get in those pants" in a long time!

5. Arcade Fire- "No Cars Go"

Brilliantly majestic. I listened to this for the first time while driving in some amazing scenery down in Wollongong. I'll forever associate the majesty of this song with the sheer beauty of those ocean cliffs. A touching ode to the power of the imagination.

4. LCD Soundsystem- "Someone Great"

Chilling OMD-like synths propel this jaw-dropping song about losing someone you love. With lines like "The worst is all the lovely weather, I'm stunned it's not raining" speak much more than the words themselves and really delve into the abject despair after death. And it keeps coming, and it keeps coming, and it keeps coming 'til the day it stops. Unbelievably touching and meaningful.

3. !!!- "Must Be the Moon"

Silly, raucuous, raw fun. The lyrics are inconsequential. The theme is inconsequential. This song is all about the groove. That bass line is simply insane. I don't know if I've ever rewound a 2 minute, 4 second interval as many times in a row as I have done with the ending of this song. It is the most deliciously funky outro I've heard in many years.

2. Kylie Minogue- "White Diamond"

This song defines why I am a Kylie fan. Perfect, powerful, transcendent, inspiring pop music. After her battle with cancer, this song is an absolute triumph. Seeing it live in its very first live performance was an amazing sight to behold, and her strength amazes me. Kylie has been quite an inspiration in my life, as it was one of the first bonds between my future wife Tracy and I. Her battles coincided with battles I had in the previous few years with death and some huge decisions, and her reassurance is really touching to me. This song may take over the number 1 spot when I hear the studio version. Shine on, Kylie.

1. LCD Soundsystem- "All My Friends"

This is one of the few songs in my life where I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it. Rarely has a song grabbed me by the balls quite like this one. I had no clue that James Murphy was capable of putting himself so completely in a song. It chronicles the ache of aging and the speed with which life travels. The repeating piano riff is a perfect metaphor for the locomotive of life wisking away, and the increasingly passionate guitars and vocals scrape the very edges of my soul. It's got the grandeur of U2, the conscious, poignant melody of New Order and the abject recollection of Bowie's "Teenage Wildlife" all in one. Absolutely massive.

Re: It's June...so what are your favorite songs of the year so far?

Great list! Can't Wait to check out the new Chromeo album, their last one was great fun, and from the reviews I have read the new one seems to be even better. Not as enthusiastic as Moonbeam on the new !!! album though. Might have to listen to it some more.

I haven't had the time to check out enough of the new stuff coming out this year sadly. Anyway, here's some cool songs i can think of right now. I might come up with a more comprehensive list later.

Arecade Fire - "Intervention" (together with "No Cars Go" my pick from Neon Bible)
El-P - "Tasmanian Pain Coaster"
Pase Rock feat. Spank Rock & Santogold - "Lindsey Lohan's Revenge"
Stephen Marley - "Mind Control"
King Midas - "West End Boys" (great single from norwegian Roxy Music soundalikes)
Big Business - "Just as the day was dawning"

Best Songs of this year:

1)What Goes Around....Comes Around - Justin Timberlake
2)Keep Your Hands Off My Girl - Good Charlotte
3)Sweet Escape - Gwen Stefani ft. Akon
4)Rainbow Stylin' - Minstry of Sound
5)Dancefloor Anthem - Good Charlotte
6)I Wanna Love You - Akon
7)Like a Boy - Ciara
8)Misery - Good Charlotte
9)Lovestoned - Justin Timberlake
10)Umbrella - Rhianna

There's still a lot of 2007 albums I haven't listened to yet but here are some of my favorite songs so far this year.

The National - Slow Show
The Shins - Phantom Limb
The Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Yankee Go Home
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Maximo Park - By The Monument
Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse
Arctic Monkeys - Teddy Picker
Apples In Stereo - Sunndal Song
The Good, The Bad And The Queen - Herculean

Dashboard-Modest Mouse (Best by far so far this year! It makes up for an otherwise average album.)

Some other songs that have made an impression this year.

Sunndal song-Apples in stereo
No one will riot for less-Bright eyes
(I don´t need you to) set me free-Grinderman
Gothenburg-Maia Hirasawa
Phantom limb-The Shins
My body is a cage-Arcade fire
Cato as a pun-Of Montreal

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends (Moonbeam is right, this one's a keeper)
LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum
LCD Soundsystem - Us Vs. Them
Electrelane - To The East
Arcade Fire - Keep the Car Running
Arcade Fire - Black Wave / Bad Vibrations
!!! - Heart of Hearts
CSS - Pretend We're Dead (L7 Cover)
Albert Hammond Jr. - Holiday
Busdriver - Less Yes's More No's
Deerhoof - Matchbook Meets Maniac
Deerhoof - +81
Deerhoof - Cast Off Crown
Menomena - Muscle N'Flo

Still MANY MANY albums for me to hear but so far:

Relient K "Come Right Out and Say It"
Relient K "Faking my Own Suicide"
LCD Soundsystem "North American Scum"
Fountains of Wayne "Traffic and Weather"

I liked the Bright Eyes CD but since I haven't purchased it yet no specific tunes leap out. Also liked V2 from J. Moss and WALKING MIRACLE from Vanessa Bell-Armstrong.