Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grossly Overrated

40 years on from Sgt. Pepper's this week. I've listened to it for years and am no closer to understanding why it is often at the top of 'Greatest of all time' albums lists. As Anthony DeCurtis said:
"Some albums are more important than the music on them, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is one of them."
Personally, I've heard many many albums better than Sgt. Pepper's. The songs on there hardly hit as hard as those on Pet Sounds or Highway 61 Revisited.
Many songs on Sgt.Peppers,Abbey Road and The White Album - you'd think the people recording them are 12,not in their mid 20s.
No wonder in a BBC poll, it was named #7 most overrated album
Should have been #1...
Maybe important at the time but after 40 years, a bit of a cliche

Re: Grossly Overrated

Funny, I would've said the same thing about Pet Sounds...

hmmm. Sgt Peppers is a bit overrated i guess. Strawberry Fields Forever is a good song though, however 'A Day in the Life' should not be at #20 on this site!

To be honest i think Revolver is a more overrated album. I wouldnt put it at #2. Abbey Road was the best for me.

REVOLVER is actually my favorite Beatles album because of its consistency. I think too much of ABBEY ROAD is subpar (mostly the John bits in the middle) bookended with a great opener and the classic medley at the end. That's not to say I don't think ABBEY is great..it's probably my favorite album from YELLOW SUBMARINE on...

Goes to show you what a good album cover can do. Switch the album artwork and the "white album" would be seen as the ultimate Beatles classic. I'm serious.

I totally agree with jonmarck!

Pet Sounds is EXTREMELY overrated to me. It just doesn't sound exciting to me. I actually think Revolver deserves the top spot. It's an extremely revolutionary album with great music. It's their best work.