Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
so what IS popular?

In numerous threads (no, i'm not going to search through and quote people), people have accused bands/genres/whatever of being popular. so i decided to do a bit of research to find out what actually is popular. first of all: last.fm

Top Artists for the week ending 3 Jun 2007

1. The Beatles
2. The Red Hot Chili Peppers
3. Radiohead
4. Linkin Park
5. Muse
6. Coldplay
7. Metallica
8. The Killers
9. Arctic Monkeys
10. Nirvana

In my opinion, that's mostly good music. at least 8 made AM (i haven't checked.)

1. What I've Done - Linkin Park
2. Makes Me Wonder - Maroon 5
3. Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
4. Grace Kelly - Mika
5. Starlight - Muse
6. Given Up - Linkin Park
7. Say It Right - Nelly Furtado
8. Wonderwall - Oasis
9. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
10. How to Save a Life - The Fray

... i'll be honest, i know like... 2 of those songs. what's wonderwall doing up there? that's a big big big surprise. the rest are new releases aren't they?

Just a note, the top 10 most listened to tracks changes drasticly every week. maybe it shouldn't be taken too seriously... unless someone can be bothered averaging out the past few months lol. However, the top 10 most listened to artists hardly varies at all. The top 10 artists could possibly be taken a little more seriously.

So what about albums. what albums have sold the most?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Maybe not an accurate indication of what's popular right now, but oh well best i could do. Discuss...

Re: so what IS popular?

The entry for Wonderwall is weird indeed. There are almost never old songs in the top 10.

As far as the top 10 artists go.. it does change quite a bit. When a new album is released by a popular group (Linkin Park, Muse, The Killers and Arctic Monkeys all have recent releases iirc) they go up quite a few spots. Beatles, RHCP and Radiohead never move though. :)

Wonderwall has appeared a couple of times in the last few months on the TV show Lost...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

haha grace kelly