The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best Year?

A glance at my list of 100 favorite albums shows that my tastes span very widely. I don't have more than a few albums for each year in my top list. But some standout years for me are:
1979 (very good year for Zappa fans)

My favorite years would probably be the following:

Mmm, interesting issue. I’ll go for:
1956: “It’s got to be rock’n’roll music / If you wanna dance with me”, when the rock was young, when there was Heartbreak Hotel, Long Tall Sally, Roll Over Beethoven, I Walk the Line, Blue Suede Shoes, Be Bop a Lula, Please Please Please …
1967: “There something’s happening here / What it is ain’t exactly clear”, when everything seemed possible, when there was A Day in the Life, Alone Again Or, Sunday Morning, Purple Haze, Ruby Tuesday, Waterloo Sunset, Walk Away Renée, …
1971: “Dream is over / And so, dear friends, / You just have to carry on”, when the end of the sixties dream opened the thunder box, when there was Life on Mars, Wild Horses, Riders on the Storm, Inner City Blues, Family Affair, Get It On, Black Dog, …
1977: “Don’t know what I want / But I know how to get it / I wanna destroy”, when two simultaneous revolutions (punk rock and disco music) changed the rock music forever, when there was Anarchy in the UK, White Riot, Heroes, Stayin’ Alive, I Feel Love, Psycho Killer, Marquee Moon, …
1982: “Don’t push me cause I’m close to the edge / I’m trying not to lose my head”, when there was a new music for a new society, when there was The Look of Love, Uncertain Smile, 1999, Billie Jean, The Message, Town Called Malice, Shipbuilding, …
1991: “Here we are now / Entertain us / I feel stupid and contagious”, when indie became mainstream, when there was Smells Like Teen Spirit, Losing my Religion, Unfinished Sympathy, Higher Than the Sun, One, Under the Bridge, Alec Eiffel, …
2001: “You’ve got to tolerate / Some of the people that you hate / I’m not in love with you / But I won’t holding it against you”, when the last electronica masterpieces gave place to a rebirth of young rock bands, when there was Last Nite, Fell in Love with a Girl, Juxtpozed with U, Knives Out, Digital Love, Can’t Get You Out of My Head, Pagan Poetry, …