Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Year?

Given we're on a roll with songs, artists, albums, and even genres on giving opinions lets go with years.

So please share what you think was the best ever year of music.

For me it's 1991. Below is a list of the classic songs

-Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come as You Are, Lithium, In Bloom

-Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge, Give it Away, Suck My Kiss, Breaking the Girl

-Pearl Jam - Jeremy, Alive, Black, Once, Even Flow

-U2 - One

-Metallica - Enter Sandman

-R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

-Guns 'n' Roses - You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Massive Attack - Unfinished Symphony

Seal - Crazy

Re: Best Year?

1965 baby! My three favorite songs from my three favorite artists. Nuff said.

way way way too difficult to narrow it down... lol i'm not sure i know when all my fav music was released. weird, a few years ago, i was thinking what a good year '91 was. i didn't know unfinished sympathy was released then? crazy.

In 1968 & 1969 there was an epidemic of great albums. The engineering was so ripe & didn't get in the way.
It's like when you're drawing & by the time you're done, you realize that you were at your most creative throughout the middle because you were allowed to think more clear based on what you had already done, while the possibilities of your imagination were still big based on what you hadn't done yet. I think if you asked musicians back in those days what music would sound like today, they would hear amazing sounds in their head because at that point music hadn't stopped evolving for the better. Let's say I'm right in the middle of this, and don't finish the rest that I was about to write. Your mind will be more open to wonder of what I would've said. That's why those years had it going on. Only the understanding of science can keep getting better, and shows how music is something aside from that, unless there comes a time when scientists discover that appreciation for music is really caused by some sort of weakness in the brain & people begin practicing to block out any enjoyment of music.

I've got no doubt: in my opinion the best musci years ever was 1967

how old are you all? just thinking maybe when we grew up migh have something to do with what years we like best. don't really agree with Jorgito's theory. i don't think there was ever a "golden age" for music. to me, music has always been about expressing emotions. people will never get any better or worse at that. and as music becomes more and more accessable, maybe the chance of good musicians emerging increases.

Every year was great from 1965 to 1971.
Other great years :

I loved 04 and last year (Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura, the Long Blondes, the Pipettes, the Guillemots, CSS). 1989 was a pretty good year for the 80s.

1965 certainly as far as songs go anyway
With Mr Tambourine Man,Like A Rolling Stone,Yesterday,In My Life,People Get Ready,Satisfaction,My Generation,The Tracks of my tears etc.
Probably 1966 or 1967 for albums
Those 3 years definitely the best...

A glance at my list of 100 favorite albums shows that my tastes span very widely. I don't have more than a few albums for each year in my top list. But some standout years for me are:
1979 (very good year for Zappa fans)

My favorite years would probably be the following:

Mmm, interesting issue. I’ll go for:
1956: “It’s got to be rock’n’roll music / If you wanna dance with me”, when the rock was young, when there was Heartbreak Hotel, Long Tall Sally, Roll Over Beethoven, I Walk the Line, Blue Suede Shoes, Be Bop a Lula, Please Please Please …
1967: “There something’s happening here / What it is ain’t exactly clear”, when everything seemed possible, when there was A Day in the Life, Alone Again Or, Sunday Morning, Purple Haze, Ruby Tuesday, Waterloo Sunset, Walk Away Renée, …
1971: “Dream is over / And so, dear friends, / You just have to carry on”, when the end of the sixties dream opened the thunder box, when there was Life on Mars, Wild Horses, Riders on the Storm, Inner City Blues, Family Affair, Get It On, Black Dog, …
1977: “Don’t know what I want / But I know how to get it / I wanna destroy”, when two simultaneous revolutions (punk rock and disco music) changed the rock music forever, when there was Anarchy in the UK, White Riot, Heroes, Stayin’ Alive, I Feel Love, Psycho Killer, Marquee Moon, …
1982: “Don’t push me cause I’m close to the edge / I’m trying not to lose my head”, when there was a new music for a new society, when there was The Look of Love, Uncertain Smile, 1999, Billie Jean, The Message, Town Called Malice, Shipbuilding, …
1991: “Here we are now / Entertain us / I feel stupid and contagious”, when indie became mainstream, when there was Smells Like Teen Spirit, Losing my Religion, Unfinished Sympathy, Higher Than the Sun, One, Under the Bridge, Alec Eiffel, …
2001: “You’ve got to tolerate / Some of the people that you hate / I’m not in love with you / But I won’t holding it against you”, when the last electronica masterpieces gave place to a rebirth of young rock bands, when there was Last Nite, Fell in Love with a Girl, Juxtpozed with U, Knives Out, Digital Love, Can’t Get You Out of My Head, Pagan Poetry, …