Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poor Bob Dylan

For all the praise he recieves, his songs are all terribly underated.

These songs should be Top 100
Like A Rolling Stone (Number 1, Thank God)
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
Visions Of Johanna
Mr Tambourine Man
Positively 4th St

Top 250
Knocking On Heavens Door
Tangled Up In Blue
It Aint Me Babe
Subterannean Homesick Blues
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
Idiot Wind
Ballad Of A Thin Man
The Times They Are A Changin'
Desolation Row
With God On Our Side

Top 1000
Masters Of War
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Dont Think Twice, It's Alright
Blowin In The Wind
Just Like A Woman
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
I Want You
All Along The Watchtower
Highway 61 Revisited

And Countless others

Gotta Look At...

the overall picture. I can't quite say that someone who's No. 3 on the artist list is underrated.

Re: Poor Bob Dylan

^ When it's Bob Dylan and the Stones are at number 2 that's underrated.

Underrated?

Um....ok......

Like a Rolling Stone is #1

If anything that is such a joke

Bob Dylan's quite a good songwriter but he cant sing for shit.

Kurt surely if u downloaded every piece of music ever written im sure you could find something better than Like a Rolling Stone. Come on, it is a song about a hobo.

I think you'll find there are a lot of artists far more underrated than Bob Dylan

i.e. Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Savage Garden, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, and others

Well, It's Not...

about vocal abilities when talking about great *artists*. Some of the best technical singers don't have all that impressive a musical output.

So, Richard, Name songs that are better than Like A Rolling Stone

I never said he is underatted - just his songs are

There are some songs that MIGHT rival "Like A Rolling Stone," like "Madame George" or something, BUT it deserves its spot.

I agree that Dylan is underrated when the Stones are at #2. The Beatles can keep #1, but I think Dylan deserves it more.

Smells Like Teen Spirit is only other song that could be at Number One and id would be Ok with

I was just wondering if Richard has ever listened to RHCP. They have, like, one good song. ("Under The Bridge") Underrated? I think 147th best artist of all time is good enough for me.

And, if anything, Nirvana is severely overrated.

Dylan, the Chili Peppers and Nirvana are all great. Nirvana knocked Michael Jackson out of the number 1 spot. How awesome is that? And the Chili Peppers have plenty of great songs (Aeroplane, Around the World, If You Have to Ask, I Could have Lied, Road Trippin, My Lovely Man, Pretty Little Ditty, etc. etc.), of which I'd put Under the Bridge at the very bottom. I, for one, am very happy that Like a Rolling Stone is at number one and I think the rest of his songwriting catalogue is underrated at AM. It's easy to understand why. He's got so many great songs that the Dylan admirers spread their votes across the board rather than centering on a select few so he's got a couple top 100's and a billion below 1000.

Bob Dylan is not poor. Bob Dylan is overacclaimed. Bob Dylan has one of the worst voice I've heard in music history. He's probably a good poet but definitely not a good singer. That's just my point of vue, no need to anger on me

It's not about what you've got it's what you do with it.

Poor Pixies. The barely make the top50 most acclaimed artists when a hack like Dylan is number 3.

Seriously, what next? The Beatles are underrated? The Stones are underrated? Miles Davis is underrated?

Yes...

it's all about what you do with what you have, and the strength of the material. Look at some of those big-voiced "divas"- aside from Aretha Franklin, none of them have been critical wonders or very acclaimed artists, mostly because the material hasn't been that strong or extraordinary.

You then have acts who may not have the big or technically fantastic voices, who are *great* artists, because the material is strong and they have an all-around appeal.

OK, voice isn't everything. A Bob Dylan will always be better than a diva that sings crappy songs. But there are also great singers that sing great songs. Take a Jeff Buckley, a Rufus Wainwright, a Scott Walker or a Sam Cooke, they are far better than Bob Dylan in my opinion.

Dumbangel I might agree with you if you list some better examples of good singers. Jeff Buckley? Artistically, yeah, I can get behind that. Singer? Give me a break. Ditto Rufus Wainright. I bought his first album but can't even listen to it because his voice is so irritating. The guy INSISTS on carrying each note for minutes at a time. Crooning is one thing, this is howling. Now if only they got Bob Dylan to sing Rufus Wainwright's songs...

Pixies suck.

Bob Dylan has about as much acclaim as he should
It's always gonna be harder for album tracks to find their way into the AM 3000 you'd assume

"Pixies suck" - well, that's really beside the point. Thing is saying Bob Dylan, one of the most acclaimed artists in pop history, is poor because his songs don't get as much praise as his albums do or because some band is even more acclaimed is fanboyism of the worst possible pedigree. What I wrote about the Pixies was just another example of this attitude, where you're so in love with your idol that you can barely judge other artists properly.