The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stylus Magazine's Top 100 One-Hit Wonders

This counts, right?

http://stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/stylus-magazines-top-50-one-hit-wonders.htm

Here's a taste...

1. Skee-Lo – “I Wish”
2. Stardust – “Music Sounds Better With You”
3. ? and the Mysterians – “96 Tears”
4. The Cardigans – “Lovefool”
5. New Radicals – “You Get What You Give”
6. Deee-Lite – “Groove Is in the Heart”
7. Modjo – “Lady (Hear Me Tonight)”
8. Wreckx-N-Effect – “Rump Shaker”
9. Craig Mack – “Flava in Ya Ear”
10. Tom Tom Club – “Genius of Love”

Let me know if you would like the whole list pasted on this forum.

Re: Stylus Magazine's Top 100 One-Hit Wonders

No it doesn't count, as I don't know Stylus' criterion for a one-hit. When I include a list I need to know the non-eligible songs in order to blank those.

And how is 'Lovefool' a one-hit wonder? OK, it can probably be derived from Billboard, but it's a huge error to include a band with so many great singles in a one-hit wonder list.

Here are the standards for a one-hit wonder that the site purports:

We probably should make the distinction here of what exactly we consider a One-Hit Wonder. Well, firstly, we're going by US standards here, which is why you might see America one-timers Right Said Fred here despite their incredible and incredulous continued success in Europe. Secondly, we're not holding the success of a band's larger discography against their one-hit wonder status, so bands like The Flaming Lips and the Butthole Surfers are still eligible for their one mainstream crossover despite the critical acclaim and cult fandom they received for their other work. And thirdly, a band really had to have had only one hit to be eligible here—the definition of which is obviously tricky, but one which excludes outright acts like Vanilla Ice, Falco, and Men Without Hats, all of whom are normally considered one-hit wonders but in fact had follow-up singles that performed rather well ("Play That Funky Music," "Vienna Calling" and "Pop Goes the World," respectively). That said, there's still sure to be choices and exclusions that raise your ire, so let us have it if you must. Hopefully there'll be at least a few we can all agree on.

OK, but I still won't include this list. It would take too much time to go over all songs and check if they were released by one-hit acts or not.