Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Beatles will they alway's be Acclaimed Music top artist

It seems the Beatles to me are head and shoulders above everyone on this list. Is there a chance for anyone to get close even though I think The Beatles deserve the top spot.

Re: The Beatles will they alway's be Acclaimed Music top artist

The Beatles are pretty much set in stone but I think Dylan might overtake the Stones. (He just needs some better reviews of his singles)

Henrik, do you have a breakdown of the points for each of the top artists so we can have an idea of how closely some are separated? Also, how close are some of the top albums and songs? I'm still kind of surprised that Sgt. Pepper isn't higher on the list. Is there any chance that it could climb to a higher spot, or even take the #1 spot?

How far are the Beatles in front of everyone and do you have any lists for psychedelic or folk rock.

Albums:
1. Pet Sounds 991.3
2. Revolver 990.5
3. Nevermind 990.1
4. VU & Nico 988.8
5. Sgt. Pepper 986.8
6. Exile on Main St 985.6
7. Blonde on Blonde 985.5
8. What's Going On 984.7
9. Never Mind the Bollocks 984.2
10. London Calling 981.9

Songs:
1. Like a Rolling Stone 988.7
2. Satisfaction 987.0
3. Good Vibrations 983.0
4. Smells Like Teen Spirit 980.9
5. Respect 974.1
6. Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay 965.2
7. I Heard It Through the Grapevine 964.9
8. Johnny B. Goode 964.7
9. Stairway to Heaven 962.6
10. Louie Louie 958.7

Artists:
1. Beatles 24.22
2. Rolling Stones 26.91
3. Bob Dylan 27.88
4. David Bowie 30.65
5. Led Zeppelin 30.90
6. Bruce Springsteen 31.53
7. Prince 31.58
8. Who 31.78
9. Elvis Presley 31.84
10. Jimi Hendrix 32.11

Regarding psychedelic and folk lists, I do not rank albums by music style as it is too difficult to categorize the albums.
I will include critics lists of psychedelic or folk if they come from psychedelic- or folk-specific magazines.

Thanks for providing that statistical breakdown of the top 10s, Henrik. A rare glimpse behind the scenes!

Top tens don't change much from update to update. Are these figures for the October 24 update, or the one to come?

(If that sounded like a veiled info request, I suppose it was. Apologies.)

I think Bob has a slim chance of passing the Beatles. He's 65, so he probably has another two - four albums in there, and if they end up in the top 500 you never know.

Plus, let's also consider Springsteen. He's 57 and he keeps releasing good albums. Plus, Springsteen seems like the kinda guy that would do a series of unplugged albums like Johnny Cash and they'd be awesome.

Most of the top 10 have either stopped making albums, or at least stopped making relevant albums, so I figure that Bob and Bruce have the best chance. Hey, you never know, maybe the Stones'll make Let It Bleed 2, but I doubt it.

dont write off prince from making another great album or two...he is a genuine musicial genius and he is more than capable of climbing the top ten...

The Beatles are one of the few bands out there that were really good and really, really popular at the same time, for a sustained period of time. That kind of cultural phenomenon can only come about by the combination of relentless marketing and a whole lot of actual merit. If that combination ever comes again it won't be for a long while.

Though, if it were up for me I'd rank a few bands above them. Particularly Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, maybe Neil Young and the Stones (Because I like Exile more than any Beatles albums).

To me it's bizarre that the Beatles are the greatest albums band.
They went for only 8 years,released only about 13 albums(most of which I don't rate that highly).
It's gotta be Miles Davis - almost 40 years of releasing fantastic records(28 in AM 3000 - 15 more than the Beatles).
Or Bob Dylan,still releasing great records after 40 years.

Beatles will always be #1. No artist comes close for me.

Pearl Jam should be higher though!