Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ARCADE FIRE ... MOST IMPORTANT GROUP OF THE DECADE ???

i believe with the great reviews that their new album is getting and their debut album already a classic...arcade fire have become the most important group of the decade...critically acclaimed and now about to go huge on both sides of the atlantic commercially with 'neon bible' ...i cant see any other group having the same impact at the moment..

Re: ARCADE FIRE ... MOST IMPORTANT GROUP OF THE DECADE ???

I live with a french exchange student and the only music I've ever heard her play is arcade fire.

It is, of course, much too soon for such talk. We should at least let the decade end before making that kind of declaration, and we should let another decade pass before putting it in all caps.

But it's safe to say that Funeral kicks all kinds of ass. And I like what I've heard from Neon Bible a lot. This, right now, is definitely the band to watch. (And more importantly, listen to.)

I can't get into Neon Bible, i find it completly unispired and just lacking that something which made Funeral great :/

Maybe ROCK group...but rap music is what this decade will be remembered for...

I dont like Arcade Fire. Pretentious is the word that sums them up for me. And twee.

"Maybe ROCK group...but rap music is what this decade will be remembered for..."

Yeah, by who exactly? Rap is a washed up genre, people are bored of songs about guns and drugs and homies. Most rap these days is for 13 year old boys.

^^^ on the money
rap was cool in the mid to late 80's, it's nothing but crap now.

i dont think so, Radiohead are, and after this summers release, will be the decades most important group. Raising global awareness, setting musical trends, inspiring legions of copycats...Radiohead, who were probably the most important band of the 90's, are also the most important group of the 00's.

Just to add fuel to the debate, here's the current (soon to change, presumably) listing of the 10 most acclaimed artists of the decade, from this very site:

1 The White Stripes
2 OutKast
3 Franz Ferdinand
4 Eminem
5 The Strokes
6 Radiohead
7 Kanye West
8 Missy Misdemeanor Elliott
9 Coldplay
10 The Streets

Arcade fire is at 22 -- not bad considering that the ranking is based on exactly one album. It seems likely they'll at least make the top ten.

Well, for strict accuracy's sake, the Arcade Fire is at #22 for the decade based on one album AND one song ("Rebellion [Lies]" - I'd look for "Wake Up" to start showing up on best-song lists at some point as well). But that's still impressive.

NEON BIBLE is sure to be one of this year's top-ranked albums; based on my single listen so far, I think it's a worthy follow-up, not necessarily one that moves too far beyond FUNERAL but better - again, in my opinion - than the high-ranking sophomore albums by the Strokes and Franz Ferdinand.

"Most rap these days is for 13 year old boys."

Isn't that who rock music was for til about 1984?? It's POPULAR music folks, not classic literature...most people have a problem with indie rock cause they identify it with pretentiousness and crass snobbery (e.g. Pitchfork), but rap music is the most popular form of entertainment in the Western world, and will continue to be, cause it still addresses many fundamental issues most of the populous at large face. To reduce it down to "guns, homies and bitches" flys at the face of the entire genre. While that may be what jumps out to a few people, that degrades an entire group of people who actually see the social value it instills. Call it the two-plus years of legal education talking, but that's just terrible logic.

FYI, I happen to love the Arcade Fire...Funeral was my favorite album of 2004, and they played the best show I've ever seen at the Austin City Limits Music Festival, but I can't place them in the same pantheon of a U2 or R.E.M. on the base of these two albums. Call it a sign of the times, but it seems most bands need more time before they can join the musical elite. Probably cause if a band can deliver a follow-up in under THREE years, that's cause for celebration

The thing about Arcade Fire is that they're a band that's succeeding where many of the contemporaries haven't. How many unique and enjoyable rock debuts have been made in the last five years? Nothing since the Strokes really, and they had about a five year head start on Arcade Fire. Sufjan Stevens, Gorillaz and Franz Ferdinand are cool but they're not really rockers, more folk, electronica and Talking Heads-ish new wave, respectively. In terms of rock the 2000's are probably going to go down as the decade of the dinosaurs as Paul McCartney, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Green Day and U2 outsell every new act.

I dont know wy people keep mentioning Franz, i mean, their debut was excellent, dont get me wrong, but the follow up left a lot to be desired. As for the Strokes, same thing, very strong debut, then got progressivly bland. Bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, so far Interpol, put out way more consistent albums. Like I said above, Radiohead, like them or not, are the best band of the past 10-12 years, always consistent, always evolving, always invoking imitators. Radiohead is in a class by themselves.

Rap is not popular, rap and hip-hop are actually going through a slump now, and no wonder.

And I dont like the title of this thread, how exactly can a band be "important"?

"Isn't that who rock music was for til about 1984"

No, til 1966. Then Pet Sounds was released and rock was changed forever. (And that's also a good example of how a band becomes important, they release influential music/music that people actually care about)

it depends how you define "important." i don't see how having great reviews necessarily makes an act important.

bands are important on many levels. They can simply be important to the progression of music. We wouldn't have Metallica if not for Black Sabbath, we wouldn't have Arcade Fire without Talking Heads, etc. They can be important to popular culture like the way that Nirvana and Pearl Jam had huge impacts on fashion or the example of the explosion of hip hop culture. Music can also have an influence on society at large: Elvis swiveling his hips, the hippies helping end the war in Vietnam, the Sex Pistols singing God Save the Queen. Lastly, music can have great emotional importance. Just the fact that the mods would fight the rockers to the death, simply over different musical tastes (ok it was more than that, but not much) shows how important some people think music is. I once worked with a guy who said, "music is life". I disagree with him, but I don't doubt that he believed it.