Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" no. 36 of all time - right or wrong?

I am perfectly happy about this. It was way better than anything else in 2006, and it will become a music milestone.

Crazy > Hey Ya & Take Me Out & Get Your Freak On >>>>>>>> Crazy in Love

Now have your say.

Re: Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" no. 36 of all time - right or wrong?

It's a great song, but 36 may be a bit high. Time will tell, obviously. It's certainly a landmark, especially in the way it crossed genres, which happens too rarely these days. (Still, for pure enjoyment, I prefer "What You Know" to "Crazy" out of the '06 high-placers.)

I probably prefer "Get Ur Freak On". I agree "Crazy"'s better than "Hey Ya" but it's not nearly as good as "B.O.B.", which is still mind-boggling.

It's better than "Crazy in Love", but I actually prefer Amerie's somewhat similar "1 Thing" to both.

So there's my say!

I think it's a shame that "crazy" is the #36 song of all-time... It's even not the #36 of 2006 in my opinion.
But I'd probably rank it as one of the 36 most overrated song of all-time for sure !

Well, it wouldn't hit my personal list of top songs of all time. But it's WAY better than some of the other modern songs up there. So i don't have a problem with it.

While I love the song, it may be placed a bit high. Of the acclaimed singles of the 00s, it is right up there, but I wouldn't place it about "Can't Get You Out of My Head" or "Take Me Out".

On a side note, I still can't believe all of the "Crazy in Love" adoration. Beyonce may be the most overrated performer of the decade.

will the vibe list i posted in a thread be included in the next overall update?

Jess, if I have the full list of 150 albums, it will be included in the next or second next update.

I was expecting "Crazy" to make the top 100, but I didn't expect it to make the top 50, let alone overtake "Hey Ya!" as the top song of the 21st century. But I think it deserves it! I can remember the first time I heard this song, and I thought it was just amazing. I'm glad to see it's getting the recognition it deserves. One thing I've also noticed is that this is the most acclaimed song since Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and is only second to that song for tracks released since 1983 (24 years, top 24 songs):

1. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (1991, #4)
2. Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy" (2006, #36)
3. R.E.M. - "Losing My Religion" (1991, #41)
4. OutKast - "Hey Ya!" (2003, #42)
5. Prince and the Revolution - "When Doves Cry" (1984, #44)
6. The Police - "Every Breath You Take" (1983, #45)
7. The Verve - "Bitter Sweet Symphony" (1997, #47)
8. Pulp - "Common People" (1995, #54)
9. Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out" (2004, #55)
10. Beck - "Loser" (1993, #58)
11. New Order - "Blue Monday" (1983, #66)
12. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On" (2001, #71)
13. Massive - "Unfinished Sympathy" (1991, #74)
14. Public Enemy - "Fight the Power" (1989, #76)
15. Oasis - "Live Forever" (1994, #77)
16. Run-D.M.C. - "Walk This Way" (1986, #79)
17. Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine" (1987, #82)
18. Beyonce - "Crazy in Love" (2003, #88)
19. U2 - "One" (1991, #91)
20. Sinéad O'Connor - "Nothing Compares 2 U" (1990, #104)
21. Oasis - "Wonderwall" (1995, #109)
22. Underworld - "Born Slippy (NUXX)" (1995, #112)
23. The Smiths - "This Charming Man" (1983, #116)
24. Blur - "Song 2" (1997, #120)

"Crazy" also ranks second on the all-time list of rap/hip-hop songs:
1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - "The Message" (1982, #15)
2. Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy" (2006, #34)
3. OutKast - "Hey Ya!" (2003, #42)
4. Missy Misdemeanor Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On" (2001, #71)
5. Public Enemy - "Fight the Power" (1989, #76)

I'm not sure where it ranks, but it is likely one of the top songs by a duo as well.

Dumbangel is very right about this song.
I don't think a song should be more popular or acclaimed just because you can't tell if it's a rap or pop/rock song. My little nephews come up with better songs than this. I like the album, but this song isn't even top 10,000.

""Crazy" also ranks second on the all-time list of rap/hip-hop songs:"

how are Hey Ya or Crazy rap songs? Because they are by rappers? Loser or, hell, even Subterranean Homesick Blues are more of rap songs than either of those

both of those are great songs, btw. Don't think I'm hatin' on them, but I don't think it's right to call them "rap" songs

Good point. I suppose I did mean that it was the #2 song of all time by rap artists, rather than the #2 rap song. It can be pretty hard to categorize songs, especially when artists have crossover hits. And yes, I have heard many say that Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" could be considered the first rap song ever, so I suppose I shouldn't try to label songs to specific genres.

It's an amazing song! Certiantly glad to see something so new up there so high...

I'm just glad we have a song from the 00s that finally charted in the top 40.

Without question - it's too high
But more criminal is Timberlake being at #241 - there's no way any of his songs are in the top 1000 of all time...

No Fucking Way. Number 36? this is putting it in the top 100 BEST songs of all time, and making it the best song of the 2000s. Dont get me wrong the 2000s has easily been the worst decade yet for music, producing some A-grade quality shit. Making it #36 puts it above any song made by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Guns & Roses etc and this just isnt right. I tend to disagree that it is the best song of 2006 - clearly My Love (Justin Timberlake), Dani California, Smack That, or Promiscuous, were all in a higher class.