Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the Knife

How is it that bands like the Knife and Hot Chip get so much praise when the Sounds and the Killers are looked at as a joke. Just when it looked like the whole 80s techo thing has run it's course bands like these are all of a sudden praised.

Re: the Knife

I think Hot Chip write good songs, The Killers don't.
I don't like the 80's, and I hate the 80's revival. I'm fed up with bands like The Killers. They're a joke, but not a funny joke. They suck.

Amen! You're preaching to the choir. A proper 80s revival should be from 1987 since that was 20 years ago. It think it got a little better with the C-86 era brits, Sonic Youth, the Pixies and the Stone Roses.

tim have you listened to Silent Shout all the way through? While there are some 80s style synths in there, its cryptic hooks and distorted vocals make it highly uncategorizable, let alone dismissed as representative of some 80s techno thing. The most interesting sounding album of last year, in my opinion.

Well the singles are a little formulaic. I think the CSS record is more original.

I think both the knife album and the CSS album are good albums. And they are good examples of the fact that there are still parts of the electronic pop genre that is alive and healthy. I do not aggree with you Tim that they are a product of some 80's revival movement. I rather see them as good acts of the 00's, with all the right influences and enough orginality to stick out in a genre too often plagued with poor copies.