Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New AM forum poll - best albums and songs of the 90's - instructions

A forum poll of the best albums and best songs of the 90's will be carried out in 11 steps over the coming 11 months.

Step 1 to 10:
Each month from January to October we will focus on a specific year, starting in January with 1990. Your top lists of 1990, 1991, ..., 1999 will be compiled into combined lists of our top 10 albums and top 10 songs for each year.

Step 11:
In November we will then rank all the 10x10=100 albums and 10x10=100 songs we have heard for final lists of the top 100 albums and top 100 songs of the 90's.

I hope that many AM visitors wants to participate in this poll, and hopefully in all 11 steps. But of course you can also participate in just one or a few of the steps.

Step 1 to 10:
You are welcome to list your favorite albums and/or songs of 1990, 1991, ..., 1999. Your lists will need to include at least 5 albums/songs. The scoring is as follows:

Albums:
1. 50
2. 40
3. 35
4. 30
5. 25
6. 20
7. 18
8. 16
9. 14
10. 12
11. 10
12. 9
13. 8
14. 7
15. 6
16. 5
17. 4
18. 3
19. 2
20. 1

Songs
1. 100
2. 90
3. 80
4. 70
5. 60
6. 50
7. 48
8. 46
9. 44
10. 42
11. 40
12. 39
13. 38
49. 2
50. 1

Ranked lists are preferred. However, if this is too difficult you can also post unranked lists. Average scores will then be calculated.

Re: New AM forum poll - best albums and songs of the 90's - instructions

Here's the thread for The Best Albums and Songs of 1990.

It's February and time for the 1991 poll!

Today it's March and the beginning of the 1992 poll!

In April we're focusing on the 1993 poll.

Time for the 1994 poll!

Now we're doing 1995. It's June.

It's July and time for the 1996 poll.

Not trying to start a mutiny or fight the system but you have a much more compresensive system than I have the attention span for. However, I love the site and want to contribute. Here's my Top 20 albums of the 90s. Note these aren't favorites but I allowed myself some degree of subjectivity. For example, I recognize Slanted & Enchanted extensive influence on American indie rock but I left it out b/c I've never really liked it. In other places I gave a better placement to a record because of its influence even though I like other records more (Odelay). My one indulgence was Pulp at 5. Its a top 20er for sure but few will rank it 5. I love that record though so thats where it goes. Top 5 dammit. Thx.

1. Radiohead-OK Computer (best record IMO since London Calling which I count as the best record ever)
2. Nirvana - Nevermind (reluctantly i bow)
3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic(he's kinda the Phil Spector of the 90s and yet he also was among the decades best performers as well)
4. Green Day - Dookie (its influence reverberates on the radio today more than any record on this list and its so fucking fun)
5. Pulp - Different Class (maybe my 'favorite' album ever
6. U2- Achtung Baby (best of their career if 1987 never happened)
7. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (a mindfuck for its creativity, a soul cleanse for the same reason)
8. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (he hasn't come even close since but this record might be the best sample record ever recorded. Reznors vision here continues to astound me today)
9. Massive Attack - Blue Lines (i discovered it about 10 years after it came out, its perfect)
10. Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea (a favorite name drop for indies and I love the conflict between the melody's romantic drama and Magnums serrated voice)
11. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (what i sd abt NIN applies here as well and maybe strengthens the statement since now you can't assume i forgot about this record)
12. Notorious BIG - Ready To Die (and his family didn't ruin his legacy by releasing 29 posthumous pleas for cash)
13. Beck - Odelay (the fun here rivals Dookie, and the vision but not its influence)
14. REM - Automatic For The People (did they ever recover that sign?)
15. Pearl Jam - Ten (the most purely enjoyable record on this list and thats gotta be worth something)
16. Nirvana - In Utero (actually a better record IMO but you can't argue the influence of Nevermind)
17. Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of... (the title is explained with the first track when we find Lauryn didn't bother going to class. She took pop music to school though in 98 with this record than almost changed commercial american hip hops creative malaise)
18. Bjork - Bjork (another personal fav and this is her best album)
19. Moby - Play (sometimes it does pay to sell out, artistically as well as financially. This record is Moby at the peak of this powers. It was a long way to the bottom from here but he found it with Hotel)
20. I'm struggling to choose between Weezer's Pinkerton, Blur's Parklife, Radiohead's The Bends and Wilco's Summerteeth. I'll go with Blur. Thanks for reading/including and again for your site.

CORRECTION: #18 was intended to read Bjork-Post

It's August and time for the 1997 poll.

It's September and time for the 1998 poll.

It's October and we have finally come to the 1999 poll.

It's finally November and time for the 1990s decade poll!