Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joanna Newsom - Ys

Album of the decade? A strong stake in making her a hugely significant musician? Puts her in the top 100 of all-time?

As the Village Voice said: "Best album since Pet Sound or Appetite for Destruction."

Re: Joanna Newsom - Ys

To reference the Wolf in "Pulp Fiction": "Let's not start sucking each others dicks yet"...

Short answer to all questions: No, Yes, Heck No

I've nevr really liked "Pet Sounds" or "Appetite For Destruction," but this is better than both of them put together. It is astonishing, I can't stop listening to it. I'd go as far as calling it the best album of this decade, or joint with "Kid A" anyway...

To Howlin Andrew:

Why? It is a much better album than, say, "Is This It?" which many people would say puts The Strokes in the Top 100 singlehandedly. Why not give Ys that same due?

Maybe it's the two plus years of law school, but I can't make myself rush to judgement over a album less than a month old entering the top 100. At least "Is This It" has had FIVE years to establish its position (although we can all probably admit that its initial wave of press helped its reputation admirably) in the top 100. Listen, I like "Ys", and I bet with enough listens I might grow to love it, but when you consider the marketing segmentation inherent with the publications who compose the major lists (Rolling Stone, NME, Village Voice, etc.), and considering the limited scope of its appeal (at least initially - I mean, my Indie friends are split over "Ys", whereas they were unanimously adoring of "Illinois"; you'd think they'd ALL love it considering the reviews). So I don't think an album this fresh can feasible make the top 100 and be a completely objective and measurable rating. I'd say wait until 2007, where maybe it can follow "Funeral"'s lead and gain so much acclaim in the British press that it'll leapfrog it's way a couple spots.

So in summation: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not < Ys < Is This It < The College Dropout < Funeral

My ears cringe when hearing here whining voice. Her music is so snobby and overly artsy. What do you call someone who couldn't make it as a musician? a critic. This is why guys like Kid Rock diss the critics constantly. They just pull some random songwriter out of their ass and declare them the saviors of music. Her and Tom Waits ruined music for all of 06. Pop music was finally getting tasteful and listenable again. It was such a promising year that ended dreadfully.

being backed by van dyke parks, o'rourke, albini just pays off... the cocorosie touch in her voice seems amusingly overloaded (maria muldaur, anyone), but it's a indispensable record, though

Album of the decade my arse. She sings like Bjork.

Don't even compare her to Bjork. She sounds more like the goose she was wearing at the Oscar :-)

"What do you call someone who couldn't make it as a musician? a critic. This is why guys like Kid Rock diss the critics constantly."

"Her and Tom Waits ruined music for all of 06. Pop music was finally getting tasteful and listenable again."

Now this is logic I can relate to!, It is certainly obvious that the enjoyment of listening to albums released in 2006 will be severely reduced because Joanna Newsom is praised by most critics...

And damn Tom Waits for making what is generally considered outstanding music and getting good reviews, how can anyone seriously enjoy pop music today knowing that critics and music snobs actually like his work?

And I say it's about time that Kid Rock's input on music criticism is taken seriously.

Good stuff

Hey Kid Rocks debut got stellar reviews so it's not like he's just some hasbeen who never really made anything that great like Tom Waits. Tom Waits sounds like Bruce Springstein being sodomized. So while critics are at their Battlestar Galactica dvd release party doing karoke to Pavement's "Cut Your Hair" people like Bill Maher and Kid Rock are getting laid and not acting like some Nic Hartcort knockoff by thinking their opinions actually matter.

I'm just curious; how do you know what Bruce Springsteen sounds like when, if ever, he's being sodomized?

Kid Rock vs. Joanna Newsom - at last one get a clue what that String theory's all about. or Bizarro World.

naah... "Grits Sandwiches" made me change my life completely, "Milk-Eyed Mender", in comparison, just added brain and bosoms - and only one of them sucks itself

if bosoms were a plural, the answer would go that way

but since the word bosoms doesn't exist... alright, i get the picture, it's the brain, right?

No, it's go bonkers, dyslexia, Kid Rock is America's answer to Jamiroquai... Tom Waits is America's answer to Bruce Springsteen

Neil Young is America's answer to Bruce Springsteen!!

And I thought Bruce Springsteen was America's answer to David Bowie?