Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dethrowning Is This It

Who has the potential of have the best reviewed album of the 90s? I think the Frames, Mull Historical Society and the Go! Team all have a chance of taking it from the Strokes

Re: Dethrowning Is This It

I'm not entirely sure at what you're getting at. Is This It was released in the new millenium. I think the best reviewed album of the 90s will always be either Nevermind or Ok Computer.

Oops! Ma bad. I meant the 00s. D'oh! No wonder no one is answering. Sorry for the mix up.

"Is this it" isn't the best album of the 00's, it's even not the best "rock'n'roll" album of the 00's. It got so much acclaim because it was the first album the critics of the NME and co decided to talk about as "the return of rock'n'roll". Waouh, oh my God ! I wonder what shit all the critics had in their ears in 1999 and 2000 when The White Stripes released their 2 first albums (according to me their 2 best albums). In 1999, no one cared about rock'n'roll but the rock'n'roll was there !
Most of the great bands of the Detroit scene were there long before 2001, not only The White Stripes but also The Detroit Cobras or The Dirtbombs. That's why I don't pay attention anymore to all the hypes critics create every year. They've lost all their credibility to me.

Read Artrocker magazine. We're really good at predicting who's going to be huge. Right now are money's on the East LA band the Blood Arm. NME is our enemy but compared to Spin and Rolling Stone NME is the Bible. As far as a darkhorse as a band that has the potential to become the new saviors of rock and roll I think Sugarcult might someday have the potential to put out some amazing material. All everyone talked about was how unbelievable their sets were during their European cocerts.

Aw crap! Not Tom Waits again. Just what we need another nerdy college rock "rebel" topping the critic's list.

I think that an album that may, and probably will, dethrone "Is This It," would be one that will stand the test of time, both in the memory of critics, which I think will be heavily influenced by album sales (I think that future critics' lists will have more reflection on popular albums than their current lists do).

Looking at the current list of the top albums of the 2000s, here are some titles I think could eventually take the top spot:

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004) [#3]
The White Stripes - Elephant (2003) [#4]
OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003) [#7]
Radiohead - Kid A [#8]
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000) [#9]
OutKast - Stankonia (2000) [#13]
Kanye West - College Dropout (2004) [#16]
Jay-Z - The Blueprint (2001) [#18]
Kanye West - Late Registration (2005) [#19]
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002) [#21] - had this been in the top 10 of the decade, I would have predicted this to take over the #1 spot.

Also, if albums like Green Day's "American Idiot," Norah Jones's "Come Away with Me," or U2's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" were ranked higher in Acclaimed Music, I would have expected them to have decent chances of taking over the #1 spot.

It's also very possible that an album that has not yet been released could take over the top spot. Some albums from this year could go up the charts as well (Bob Dylan's "Modern Times"?)

I do think that in about 5-10 years, it will start to become more clear what the #1 album of the 2000s will be.

I still think Hail to the Theif is one of top 3 albums of decade, anyone agree

Nothing wrong with Is This It. It's where it belongs hype or no hype.

For now, I think Is This It? still stands out as the #1 album of the decade. I remember how it gave rock music a much-needed energy boost after some lazy years. There may have been other good 00s rock albums before it, but ITI? was he one that got everybody ready for guitars again. Plus, I would argue that it is simply the best rock album of the 00s.
An album that could dethrone the Strokes, would thus not only have to be really great, but should also start some sort of trend and have lots of followers.

Going into 2008,The Strokes will still hold #1 for the 2000s - only 2 years left,then it becomes very hard for it to be passed...

How difficult it will be be to beat, i think, is a question only Henrik can answer. so... does anything so far stand a chance?

I think Kid A has a good chance of knocking down Is This It. Or, for that matter, one of those overhyped Arcade Fire albums.

I don't think Franz Ferdinand will do it because they came after the Strokes in the same wave. I don't think U2 will do it because they've turned into the Tom Hanks of music. (Slap together some mediocre combination of things that sound like they would be acclaimed and someone immediately starts polishing a grammy for them.) White Stripes could have but now there's too much hype backlash against them.

I don't think we'll find out what will end up the #1 reviewed album of the '00s until the '00s are far enough away that people who make all-time lists will acknowledge they exist.

Yeah, the last point Bill makes is the main factor. I have a feeling Is This It will not be on many all-time lists 30 years from now while Kid A, Speakerboxx/Love Below, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Marshall Mathers LP and The Blueprint all will be. I really think 30 years down the road those will be the most acclaimed albums of this decade.

I don't want to have a debate over the content of the rest of the Strokes albums. If you like them, fine. But, nothing ever came close to Is This It in critics eyes, and all-time lists tend to favor artists who have a strong catalog of work. I don't think time will be kind to Is This It. That's fine with me.

I sincerely doubt Speakerboxx/Love Below will be on any all-time lists in 30 years. It had a big splash and practically disappeared instantly to the bargain bins. I picked up my copy for a dollar a year after it was out. The album(s) gets overhyped because Hey Ya was such a (deservedly) successful single, but there isn't much reason to listen to anything else. The Soft Bulletin is another album that I think is going to disappear. Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots is much better. I wouldn't put too much faith in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot either. That ambient pop-schlock is so easy to put together that there were a million and a half albums just like it (many better) already available before it hit. Just listen to Starflyer 59. He did all that Wilco has done (on his own) years before they started.

The albums that you mentioned are the ones that I think are going to fall off the map over the next couple years.

I think as time goes on,it becomes less and less likely that a new album will become a classic...Let's face it - there's been some great albums from the 2000s,but no Pet Sounds or Blonde on Blonde or anything like that

Are you trying to use mainstream success as a measure of lasting quality? Wow.

So I suppose your favorite album of the decade is...something by Linkin Park, or the Backstreet Boys? Maybe Silver Side Up will end up at #1?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is probably going to last, but I don't think it'll reach #1. I guess it's vaguely possible, but not likely. But it's not just some critical fad, it's a lot of great pop songs.

I guess Blueprint will probably go up soon, because Jay Z managed to release another very critically liked album a week or two ago. I just think rap has an upper limit to critical acclaim, and Public Enemy is perched on the summit. Especially since most of the critically acclaimed rap is the rap with 'Look at me I'm such a tough gangster' lyrics, which don't appeal to everyone who doesn't work at Village Voice.

Speakerboxx/Love Below will always have it's votes split by Stankonia, so it probably won't end up #1. I think Eminem's critcal acclaim is going to slide sharply down soon, because people are getting less and less impressed by his cheesy and obviously fake 'white black guy' act.

Illinois and Return to Cookie Mountain probably won't end up #1, but if either of them manages to cross over to Arcade Fire-style semi-mainstream knowledge, then maybe. Especially if either of those bands release other great albums.

"Are you trying to use mainstream success as a measure of lasting quality? Wow."

Who, me? I said I bought Speakerboxx/Love Below for a dollar a year after it came out...and it was the biggest album of THAT YEAR! Shows how short of a shelf life that album had. Not only did I buy it for a dollar, I bought it from a traveling CD merchant (generally more expensive, because they come to you) who had so much trouble selling it he took it out of the 4$ bargain bin and but it into the ultra low 1$ pile, and it's a DOUBLE ALBUM! I think I've listened to each CD like 3 times since I've had it, and each time I got bored a couple tracks in. Talk about overhyped. There's a reason why the Idlewild soundtrack flopped. Even if it was a sh!t soundtrack, had Speakerboxx/Love Below been worth anything the soundtrack would've sold well. That's the thing about record sales, it's always the record AFTER the good one that sells well. Stankonia was a good album, so Speakerboxx/Love Below sold well. That was a sh!t album so Idlewild was dead in the water.

You don't exactly need to make Nickleback and Linkin Park fanhood accusations. That's just insulting.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot might have good songs, but so what. The guy I played violin for today had good songs. No one's trying to make him into a musical genius! Wilco isn't doing anything innovative and they're not exceptionally talented or skilled. They're one of those dime a dozen bands; the type that you could hear at any local bar on any given night, and those groups never stand the test of time. Seriously, listen to Starflyer 59's "Leave Here a Stranger" it was everything and more than YHF. Wilco's one of those groups that fades quickly once the lights are out.

I am using mainstream success to determine future acclaim. It makes sense because in the future when all-time lists are made, those are the albums that are going to be remembered as having the most influence on the music scene. The impact that Outkast, Eminem and especially Jay-Z had on hip-hop and even rock music is indisputable and their best albums are going to be looked back on as classics. I also strongly disagree that rap will never be critically acclaimed. It's finally getting the credit it deserves and that's only going increase as the impact of the genre continues to grow. It won't be the middle aged critics of today writing all-time lists in 30 years. It will be middle aged critics who grew up in this era who probably won't fully respect the new music coming out 30 years from now.

By the way, Speakerboxx/The Love Below has a bunch of great songs on it. By saying that Hey Ya is the only good song on it is saying you don't appreciate hip-hop. That was a pop song on a hip-hop record. It might have some filler, but so did The White Album.