Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New update October 24, 2006

Yes, it's finally here. And the site has expanded a bit. I hope you like it.

Just hit refresh if you don't see the update.

Re: New update October 24, 2006

A fantastic update, Henrik. I really don't know waht to look first.

My week just got much better. And I suspect that my bank account is about to get much lighter. I won't have time to delve into this update until later, but I suspect it will be more than worth the wait. Thank you, Henrik.

You have probably seen that the added lists have merely not changed the ranking in the all-time top at all. However, further down the list it's more vibrant. Here's a list of the greatest climbers relatively to where they started from, i.e. the lowest new/old position ratio:

Albums:
1. Rush - Moving Pictures (from 1775 to 989)
2. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (866 to 495)
3. Tool - Lateralus (2435 to 1411)
4. Damien Rice - O (1877 to 1107)
5. AC/DC - If You Want Blood, You've Got It (1828 to 1104)
6. Temple of the Dog - same (2042 to 1237)
7. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (463 to 301)
8. Herbert - Bodily Functions (2329 to 1525)
9. Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine (2406 to 1589)
10. Fats Domino - Rock and Rollin' with Fats Domino (2109 to 1404)

Songs:
1. Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused (1948 to 550)
2. Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows (478 to 180)
3. Aretha Franklin - Think (1460 to 607)
4. Crystals - Then He Kissed Me (2055 to 874)
5. James Brown - Say It Loud, I'm Black and Proud (2082 to 901)
6. 13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me (2380 to 1038)
7. Etta James - At Last (1235 to 552)
8. John Waite - Missing You (2385 to 1075)
9. Desmond Dekker - 007 (Shanty Town) (2259 to 1096)
10. Madonna - Like a Prayer (620 to 310)

How about that JR?

And here's a list of the greatest newcombers:

Albums (2006 albums excluded):
1. Blumfeld - Old Nobody (1469)
2. Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll (1556)
3. Baabaa Maal - Djam Leelii (1607)
4. The Art Ensemble of Chicago - People in Sorrow (1686)
5. Cesaria Evora - Miss Perfumado (1690)
6. The Sound of Music OST (1721)
7. Coldplay - X&Y (1747)
8. Art Pepper - Smack-Up (1765)
9. Caetano Veloso - Estrangeiro (1789)
10. Low - I Could Live in Hope (1811)

Songs:
1. The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning (972)
2. The Who - The Kids Are Alright (98
3. A-ha - Take on Me (1120)
4. Jimi Hendrix - Manic Depression (1197)
5. Method Man/Mary J Blige - I'll Be There for You (120
6. Simon and Garfunkel - America (1226)
7. Bryan Adams - Summer of '69 (1235)
8. Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice (1245)
9. Beatles - Here Comes the Sun (1302)
10. Stone Roses - I Am the Resurrection (1350)

WhoA!

Henrik, it looks great at first glance- I also don't know where to look first. Love the "bubbling under" addition, too.

Tons of 8-)]'s!

Great update (as always).
Henrik, I think I’ll send you my Spanish music lists immediately. Clicking Spain to see only “Los Del Rio” produces me an instant depression.

In a phrase, "Holy shit!"

I absolutely adore the "bubbling under" addition as well as the expansion to 3000 albums and songs. This website continues to improve, although Prince took a hit this update.

I'm in update heaven!

Thanks so much!

I was thinking of making a humble suggestion for the next update that would be similar to Billboard magazines Emerging Artist list (I think that is what it's called). Basically it ranks the album sales of artists that haven't cracked their top 200 in sales. Every artist is then 'retired' once one of their albums breaks the top 200 and no subsequent releases can appear on the Emerging Artist list. It would be interesting to see that kind of list for the top 3000 albums and songs.

Fortunately the 'bubbling over' sublists cover a lot of that ground. Just for clarification, the bubbling list is only for artists that have at least one song or album in the top 3000? Would we be able to find any favorite artists that just have 'bubbling over' items? We can then cheer them on for the next update! Come on Deerhoof!

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed to see that spin doctors have a spot on the site now. That's an example of a band with just a "bubbling over" spot, Jonah.

Amazing. Thank you so much.

Just one thing, though. Method Man's "You're All I Need To Get By/I'll Be There For You" is one (long-windedly titled) song, rather than an A & B side.

Method Man's "You're All I Need To Get By/I'll Be There For You" is one (long-windedly titled) song, rather than an A & B side

You're right, the critics have misleaded me by usually citing only one part of the title. It will be fixed in the next update (which shouldn't take another 5 months).

"I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed to see that spin doctors have a spot on the site now."

At least Two Princes, which was played so darn much on the radio in the 90s is left out. That's one of the most timeless irritating songs I know and one of the few songs that made me change the station each time.

Finally an update! Great work, Henrik. I must say it is disappointing there was hardly any movement in the top 20 after so many lists were added. But some of my favourites moved up, so it's actually. "Laughing Stock" jumped almost 100 places! So only 500 more to go :)

Yes...

one of them ore notable movements is that that irrelvant musical artist Madonna now is top 50. :)

Henrik, any thoughts on how to handle those albums in Paul Roland's book that weren't rated, but were in the "essential" section or whatever it was? Remember, they were included and then they were taken out.

Again, excellent work this time out. So much ground to cover, yet you make it look easy (when it's not, of course).

RoboFist...

just saw that that list didn't make the cut this time, H. Don't lose sight of that one next time. ;)

The RobotFist site does not exist anymore and I can hardly find anything on the web that tells me it has ever existed. Thus, its impact seems so small that I decided not to include their list. Anyone who knows more about RobotFist?

Henrik, any thoughts on how to handle those albums in Paul Roland's book that weren't rated, but were in the "essential" section or whatever it was? Remember, they were included and then they were taken out.

I'm not planning to do anything with these few albums. Especially since being mentioned in the essential section is no guarantee of a high rating. Rush's "2112" is mentioned as an essential album and got 2 stars!

Robofist...

Henrik, that site was online at least as of a few months back- and, I had posted the top 100 here:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3172289350/show/480046

Similar to the Wanadoo thingie, that mysteriously vanished from cyberspace!

I have to look at that Paul Roland book again- weird that it would have one of those albums in that section, and it get only 2 stars in the ratings section!

JR, I know you posted the list in the forum, that's not the problem. The source must have some kind of reputation. If I had no source limitation there would be thousands of lists posted on the web to be added.

Excellent work on this most impressive update! I, and I'm sure many other Canadians, are very happy to see Kingston, Ontario's "The Tragically Hip" and Halifax, Nova Scotia's "Sloan" finally make the list. I also really appreciate the additions of other genres of music to the list, it's enabling me to expand the range of my library much easier.

Thanks, eh!

the Tragically Hip made it? Sweet!

In Utero Dropped! Outrage! It's A worthy Top 100 album !

Update looks great Henrik. Thanks, brillant stuff. Only problem seems to be that you've included that recent NME best songs of 1996-2006 list which was in fact voted for by the NME.com users/readers.

OK, I'll drop that list in the next update then. Thanks.

Looks like Siamese Dream climbed slightly.