Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best beatles album

This question is for everyone, just wondering what your opinion is of the best beatles album. Many times I have argued the case of my personal fav abbey road but would love to here your opinion.
heres my top 3 list.
1. Abbey road (original and brilliant)
2. Revolver (always brings a smile to the face when its played)
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (often noted as their best work but, i disagree but still rate this as increadible music.

Re: Best beatles album

This is a real tough one, i love all of them for different reasons but i will have a crack at a top 3
1. revolver
2. sgt pepper
3. the white album
although i love abbey road jimbo i just dont think the two sides of the album connect or work well together, although they are both brilliant in there own right i think as one album its confusing and at times over the top.

really difficult to rank Beatles albums.

I think My top 3 is

1. Sgt Pepper's LHCB
2. Abbey Road
3. Revolver

I'd like to make the case for Rubber Soul. Granted, it has its weaker moments (What Goes On, The Word), but skip these and you have the definitive pop album. Compared to Rubber Soul, the White Album and Abbey Road are only half-good, with too many fillers (Beatles fillers are of course still great songs, but you know). Hence:
1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul

I'm with jimbo

1. abbey road
2. revolver
3. magical mystery tour (did I say that out loud?)

For me it's

1. Sgt. Pepper's

and then the rest, with The White Album and Revolver standing out a little.

Sgt. Pepper's really resonates with me thanks to my childhood nostalgia when I was introduced to the Beatles as a little kid through the Yellow Submarine movie. There were songs from other Beatles albums in that movie of course, but the Lonely Hearts Club Band in the movie really made the Beatles larger than life musical characters, which prepared me to really appreciate the Sgt. Pepper's album as I was beginning to buy records. Of course the album flows together very well. Even the best of the other Beatles records could be just fine if they were mixed together and played randomly, in my opinion.

Revolver is my favorite.

1. White Album
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. The Beatles (The White Album)

1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. White Album
3. Rubber Soul

1. White album
2. Abbey road
3. Please please me
4. Rubber soul
5. A hard day's night
6. Sgt Pepper's
7. Revolver
8. With the Beatles
9. Magical mystery tour
10.Help!

Seems of the four deemed true "classics" -- Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, White Album and Abbey Road, everyone has one they just don't like as much as the other three... so for me:

Revolver: The classic example of how an album's worth of really sharp pop tunes can be paired with its own perfect signature instrument and production. I think of the simple brilliance of the strings in "Eleanor Rigby", the trumpets in "Got to Get You Into My Life" and of course the best closing song of all time "Tommorrow Never Knows".

Sgt. Pepper: This album forced coherence into surprising genre (mainly psychedelic) explorations. The songwriting is a lot less rigid than in the past, and they really maximized the tension between McCartney's buttery smooth tunes and Lennon's jagged or droney nature without breaking it apart. Obviously they even managed it within some single tracks ("Day in the Life").

White Album: This has become the archetypical double album for a reason. To sustain a listener's attention for twice as long, it's necessary to abandon anything resembling redundancy of identity, genre or songwriting. It's a beautiful mess, a mishmash of revivalism/tribute songs ("Back in the USSR" = Beach Boys, "Yer Blues" could've been made, with different lyrics, in 1955) and literal genre inventions ("Helter Skelter" as the first punk rock song ever, "Revolution 9" as the first production-based avant-garde song). Like any good double album, you don't always wanna put it on but when you do you never want to turn it off.

Abbey Road: This is the one that is kinda lost on me. There are a few good songs but it doesn't seem to have a backbone. The guitar part in "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" and "Because" are too similar. The medley hasn't aged very well; focusing much on the music rather than the novelty isn't too rewarding for me. Still a really good album, but a far cry from their three classics.

Rubber Soul

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. Let it Be

1. Rubber Soul
2. White Album
3. Abbey Road

Overrated: Sgt. Pepper

1) Sgt. Pepper
2) Abbey Road
3) Revolver

1. Revolver
2. The White Album
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

1.Abbey Road
2.The Beatles
3.Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I seem to think they matured with age, ignoring the disjointed two "albums" from the period. Too much of 'Magical Mystery Tour' is on the blue album and 'Let It Be' seemed only half an album of songs (only twelve songs, a couple of which were dittys while 'Get Back' had already been on a single and they'd abandoned 'The One After 909' years ago; not to mention Spector ruining 'Across The Universe').

Let it Be was noted as the beatles last album. I received a bootleg of that before Abbey Road was released. It was recorded so the boys could have a last live show and they talked about doing that last show on a cruise, France and Arabia. They ended up doing it on the roof of Abbey Road studios. So here is my list after that bit of mindless dribble.
Abbey Road- Great production

White Album lesser known name "The Beatles" with many great tunes although mostly solo preformances

Rubber Soul- Pure Beatles

Magical Mystery Tour- Half Soundtrac and half single compulation

Pepper- George Martins best pruduction ever

Foot note- Jackson, needs to let go of the beatles catolog he owns. He is selling it off faster then you can drop a hat.

1. White Album
2. Rubber Soul
3. Abbey Road

1. Revolver
2. The Beatles (The White Album)
3. Abbey Road
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. Rubber Soul
6. With the Beatles
7. A Hard Day's Night
8. Help!
9. Magical Mystery Tour
10. Please Please Me
11. Beatles For Sale
12. Let It Be
13. Yellow Submarine

I am one of the pretty few people who consider Rubber Soul to be their best production. But that's probably because it's their most dylanesque album.