The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: One Problem I Have With This List - It's Too Biased Towards 60s & 70s

I think your probably right netjade. In 30 years time there will be a lot more albums from nowadays. "OK Computer" should defiantly be all-time top 3 IMO. I don't think The Velvet Underground & Nico would've even made top 1000 in the 60s it was a bit of a cult album, which has gained mounting acclaim over teh years. Kinda simular to NMH's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" i can imagine that being very high, top 10 even, in 30 years time

Here is a breakdown of the 2500 albums that are listed in Acclaimed Music

1940s: 1 album
1950s: 172 albums
1960s: 409 albums
1970s: 647 albums
1980s: 519 albums
1990s: 489 albums
2000s: 263 albums

Even though '60s and '70s albums generally rank higher, maybe it's for a good reason. As you can see, there are more '80s and '90s titles than '60s included in the top 2500. Also, it's possible that more recent albums will over time, start moving up the list, after they stand the test of time. I remember reading somewhere that Led Zeppelin's albums were not that well-received by critics at first, and (I think it was) Brian Wilson was disappointed by the reception of Pet Sounds when it came out (which is now AM's #1 album of all time). Many teenagers these days love the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Stones, etc., showing that the music has stood the test of time (The Dark Side of the Moon still sells an average of over 9,000 copies a week). I think that the albums of today that continue to sell well decades down the road will probably have very high rankings in all-time lists, and on Acclaimed Music.

too biased towards 60's and 70's, its for a very good reason, the music today is tripe and is based more on financial prosperity than talent. I mean there have been great albums in recent years but mikey mate on a whole its been relatively disapointing. with our generations biggest contribution to music being the techno crap you here at nightclubs i think we are lucky to have any albums in the top 2500. its simple the music from the 60's is regarded as the best, due to the fact IT IS THE BEST. most rock music these days is derived straight from the beatles or the rolling stones alike. originality is the key and im afraid our genaration is not original and at times terrible.