Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blood sugar? yoshimi? good news? 311????

I can't believe the lack of street cred the chili peppers have in the eyes of music rankings... Aeroplane isn't even in the top 2500 songs of all time? jesus..

bssm has got to be one of the best albums ever made, and it basically gets no respect. 251??

I also can't understand why yoshimi is all the way down at 353...

good news for people who like bad news is 850something? are you kidding? what an amazing album..

311, a band who has been making music since the 1980's yet has flown under the radar of most people, doesn't even have a single song in the top 2500.

grassroots from 311, as well as the other 3 albums i've mentioned, are all far better than Beck's odelay (which is ranked 50th)

plus beck sucks live, and 311/lips/chilis are amazing live, I've seen all these bands this summer...

Re: blood sugar? yoshimi? good news? 311????

I don't know ... to me, having an album ranked at #251 on a list of the greatest albums of all time, considering how many thousands and thousands of albums there are, strikes me as a great deal of respect indeed. Same for YOSHIMI and, in fact, for GOOD NEWS ... as well. We all want our favorite albums in the top ten; hey, you think I'm happy that IN THE AEROPLANE OVER THE SEA is only #623?!? But I'm just happy it ranks as high as it does.

To me the actual rank doesn't mean too much. I mean, there's no reason to believe that BSSM is ACTUALLY the 251st best album of all time. Just that it's probably somewhere in that region, or at least that most critics think it's somewhere in that region. And, for a song that not even the Red Hot Chili Peppers acknowledge, you seem pretty hung up on Aeroplane. Take it with a grain of salt, you know? Personally I think Mother's Milk deserves a spot, a lot more than Californication does, but Cali was the comeback so it was much more appreciated. It's all about context and 311 has never really been terribly innovative so they hardly garner any praise while Beck has always been ahead of the curve (and practically defined a generation with Loser). Sure, Odelay doesn't get much spins in my player (I'm more of a Sea Change fan) but it's an admirable and unique piece of work.

I think that 311 should be permanently banned from inclusion on this website for their blasphemously horrific version of the Cure gem "Lovesong".

I agree with Harold. Tghe fact5 that In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is not even in the top 500 is a crime against nature! It should take the number one spot with ease! Pet Sonds is shite (Well it had to be said)

Haha, but seriously it's only because it hasn't sold many copies and a lot of people haven't heard of it that it is not up there!