The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: coldplay is underrated

Yes, it's a well known fact that Coldplay fans are people who just listen to mainstream radio and have never heard of Radiohead

Radiohead is pretty mainstream. Kid A debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts

I wouldn't use sales to rate whether something is "mainstream" or not.

That being said, a lot of us just feel that, from "Kid A" onwards, Radiohead have done stuff that just doesn't appeal to us. "OK Computer" was great, "The Bends" was great too. But there are those of us who prefer actual songs with actual song structures, which means whatever Radiohead have been doing after "OK Computer" just doesn't appeal.

This is where Travis and Coldplay and Keane come in, although people who want something a big more challenging may also check out Muse more closely. Particularly their latest album is a piece of genius, following the path from "OK Computer", adding new musical elements (particularly from 70s prog and pomp rock) without ever removing the melodic and harmonic elements that were crucial to making Radiohead great.

Muse are complete gash.

I like the new Radiohead!

coldplay are lukewarm Radiohead. It's no surprise that they only took off when Radiohead announced they were done with radio-rock by releasing Kid A. I have the first two coldplay albums and neither gets much spins. They're just too bland, too manufactured and too "phoned in". I love songs like Clocks and the Scientist but those are rare gems. When it comes down to it AROBTTH wasn't half the hit S/TLB was.

As for which was more influential S/TLB takes it by a long shot. They're helping to revitalize a flagging genre drowning in insipid club anthems! The only reason there are any bands that sound like Coldplay nowadays is because record execs are looking for a sound-alike cash cow, neglecting talent. It's all part of the big U2 revival and revival of Evangelical Christianity in mainstream culture. Coldplay got big because they sound spiritual and because Radiohead stopped playing rock music, leaving a void of smart, sentimental brit-pop.

The Bends is good but it's nothing special, everything they've done since has blown it away IMO. Coldplay are just bland! If you want music with passion listen to Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Blaack Empieror or Sigur ros, but Coldplay are just boring and have no emotion whatsoever!

And what i meant was yeah Rasdiohead are pretty mainstream, afterall their last 4 albums have all reached #1 in the album chart, but you still don't here them on the local radio station,whereas Coldplay get played all the time!

There is nothing wrong with airplay. More Coldplay, Keane or Travis on the radio means less Destiny's Child, Britney Spears or Nelly on the radio, which is obviously a good thing for music.