Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
will this list ever include albums and songs not in the English language

Albums in other languages should receive just as much recognition, because English speaking songwriters are not the only composers in the music business, not to say they are bad, because most of the albums in the top 20 are exraordinary, but I suppose I am just curious to see how non-english language albums would fend out on this list.

Re: will this list ever include albums and songs not in the English language

Actually, there are quite a few non-English-language albums on the list (many more since Henrik expanded the database last year to include jazz and world music albums), including the following:

Serge Gainsbourg, HISTOIRE DE MELODY NELSON
King Sunny Ade, JUJU MUSIC
Fehlfarben, MONARCHIE UND ALLTAG
OS MUTANTES
CAETANO VELOSO
Salif Keita, SORO
Youssou N'Dour, IMMIGRES
Les Rita Mitsouko, THE NO COMPRENDO

... among others. Since most of the lists currently making up the database are from American and British publications, the vast majority of albums selected will be in English. As more non-US and -UK lists are included, the number (and rankings) of albums in other languages may very well grow.

The third highest charting Norwegian album in the list is "Splitter Pine" by Dum Dum Boys, an album that is very much in the Norwegian language.

Btw. I am surprised that there are no similar Swedish albums in the list. Haven't Swedish mags published any critics list of best Swedish albums ever?

what about Sigur Ros and Buena Vista Social Club? Neither released english language material and they're quite high on the list. And Kraftwerk? They're on the list too.

Dungen's "Ta Det Lugnt" is in Swedish, I suppose.

Kraftwerk, even though the German language versions are the ones listed, have released English versions of all of their albums from "Trans Europa Express" onwards.