The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

A lock on top song almost this year?

I'm not a fan of hip - hop/dance/ techno at all, in fact almost anti hip hop, but this song is superb........

Re: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Yes I keep meaning to check out the album. It seems to be staying near the top of the 2006 listy.

Yes...I can see this song possibly making AM's all-time top 200. I am more of a rock man myself, and I absolutely love this song (my favourite so far of 2006, followed by the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Dani California"...which I think could also make AM's top 2500). And yes, the fact that Gnarls Barkley's album is doing amazingly well with the critics only helps its chances of being a top song with the critics as well (especially since the song is hugely popular).

Any other predictions on some other critically acclaimed songs for 2006? As I already mentioned, "Dani California," I also think Christina Aguilera may even have a shot of finally cracking Acclaimed Music with "Ain't No Other Man," along with KT Tunstall's "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree."

Hmmm...

I dunno- Billboard, which for years had been very easy in is singles reviews- didn't even give Aguilera's track high marks. Yet, I think the review may have come from the same dude who thinks Celine Dion is a worthy artist, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't think Beyonce's "Deja Vu" will repeat the big critical success enjoyed by "Crazy In Love"- I like the track, but it doesn't pack the same wallop that CIL did.

I'm pretty sure Janet Jackson's "Call on Me" won't be winning many critical raves.

I don't think there's much doubt that "Crazy" will end up as the single of the year. As evidenced by the comments here, everyone seems to dig it - even other artists. I went to Lollapalooza here in Chicago last weekend, at which Gnarls Barkley appeared (and put on a great show, with Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse in front of a 13-piece band all decked out in tennis whites), and "Crazy" was performed not only by them but also by the Raconteurs, Mates of State, and Kanye West's all-female string section (who also tossed in a snippet of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" while they were at it). It's not often that a song becomes so firmly embedded in the collective pop consciousness.

Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy", & Christina Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man" are both horrible songs. Christina Aguilera had better options for a 1st single.

gnarls barkeley make a cover of a violent femmes song on their album. smart guys! :-)

Very smart guys. (For those who don't know, the Femmes cover on their album is "Gone Daddy Gone".) They do a lot of covers in concert, a necessity since they've only got one album and it's so short, and their taste in songs is refreshingly eclectic and offbeat - the Lollapalooza set opened with the band playing "We Are the Champions" as fanfare for Cee-Lo's entrance, and they also did covers of songs by the Greenhornes and the Doors (their Doors cover wasn't one of the classic-rock staples but an obscure B-side, "Who Scared You?"). A concert review in ROLLING STONE said that they began another show with "Hungry Like the Wolf".

I will be surprised if Crazy doesn't make it into the all-time top 100. Majestic.

"Crazy" in all-time top 100... It's a joke, isn't it ?... In the top 100 of 2006 maybe, OK.

This song deserves major acclaim.

Based on the few year-end lists that have come in so far, it looks as though "Crazy" could easily be the top song of 2006, as it has appeared on (correct me if I'm wrong) the top ten of every list already. Could this possibly end up in the all-time top 100?