Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mercury Music Prize 2006

Mercury music prize nominations today- some surprises, some obvious (Arctic monkeys, thom yorke), and of course, a token jazz artist.

Here's the full list, what does everyone think?

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
Editors - The Back Room
Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Hot Chip - The Warning
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot
Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer
Sway - This Is My Demo
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2006

ohhhhhhhhhhhh dearrrrrrrrrrr

My favourite album from this shortlist is "Coles Corner" from Richard Hawley but he has no chance to win the prize in front of the overhyped Arctic Monkeys... ;-(

I dunno, I think the list is fairly good. No major acts missing, although most of the nominations were fairly standard Mercury Music Prize fare.

The odds- Richard Hawley's actually 4/1 favourite, with Arctic Monkeys just behind, Guillemots at 11/2, Thom Yorke 8/1, Sway, Hot Chip, and the Editors at 10/1, Muse at 11/1, Scritti Politti and Isobel Campbell at 13/1, and Zoe Rahman and Lou Rhodes at 17/1.

Not that that means anything of course, after Antony and the Johnsons last year winning seemingly from nowhere.

Will these be included, as they have before?

Yes, absolutely. Thanks Hector!

Seemingly from nowhere put £80 in my pocket last year thank y'all.

Nothing wrong with the list really except that it could have been drawn up by The Sun's Victoria Newton to be honest.

I got Coles Corner today and it is actually quite good.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2006 And the Winner is:

THE ARTIC MONKEY! WOOHOO! Good Job! :-)

Poor result.

The Guillemots or Richard Hawley would have deserved the prize more than the Arctic Monkeys...

I like the Guillemots and Izzy Campbell. There was a time when Mercury Prize would cater to indie music but they seem to switch it up every other year. One year it's an indie band and than the next you have an Artic Monkeys. Good album. There's a lot of ageism in music when it comes to either musicians under 21 or over 40. That was never really the case until boy bands like NKOTB came out so that might be why people don't respect younger artist.

Arctic Monkeys are an indie band.

Not in England.

WTF?? Arctic Monkeys are the definition of indie in England. I've noticed that American indie is something completely different from what we call "indie"

For example Neutral Milk Hotel would never be classed s indie over hear if anyone had actually heard of them