Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albums that you feel should definitely be on list, but are excluded

Garbage - 2.0
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls

Only a sample of what I think, but does anyone else have albums they feel should be on?

Re: Albums that you feel should definitely be on list, but are excluded

"Bat out of Hell" is included. Number 19 of 1977 and number 465 of all time. Hmm, that's too high if you ask me...

Three long time personal favorites that I would like to see on AM:
Julee Cruise - Floating into the Night
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

Julee Cruise - Floating Into The Night
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

dc Talk's 'Jesus Freak' (1995)

Newsboys' 'Step Up to the Microphone' (1998), 'Going Public' (1994), 'Love Liberty Disco' (1999), 'Thrive' (2002), 'Take Me to Your Leader' (1996)

Paul McCartney's 'McCartney' (1970), 'Flaming Pie' (1997), and 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard' (2005) (I also quite enjoy 'Driving Rain' (2001))

John Lennon's 'Mind Games' (1973)

George Harrison's 'Cloud Nine' (1987), 'Brainwashed' (2002), 'George Harrison' (1979), 'Thirty-Three & 1/3' (1976), and 'Living in the Material World' (1973)

John Williams' 'Star Wars Soundtrack' (1977)

Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' (1991), even 'HIStory' (1995), and, believe it or not, 'Invincible' (2001)

it would also be nice to see Coldplay's 'X&Y' up there too

...a lot of those titles are pretty obscure to mainstream music listeners, so to give you an idea of what my taste in music is like, here are my favourite albums included in AM2500: The Beatles' 'Revolver,' 'Abbey Road,' 'The White Album,' 'Sgt. Pepper,' 'Rubber Soul,' 'Help!,' and all of their albums I suppose, George Harrison's 'All Things Must Pass,' Pink Floyd's 'The Wall,' 'Animals,' 'Dark Side of the Moon,' Paul McCartney's 'Band on the Run,' John Lennon's 'Imagine,' Michael Jackson's 'Thriller,' 'Bad,' 'Off the Wall,' The Traveling Wilburys' 'Vol. 1,' Green Day's 'American Idiot,' Coldplay's 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' and 'Parachutes,' Led Zeppelin's 'III' (I really love Led Zeppelin, but this is their only studio album of theirs I've heard), Radiohead's 'The Bends,' the White Stripes' 'Elephant,' the Rolling Stones' 'Aftermath,' the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds'...My favourite AM artists are the Beatles (and their solo music), Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Simon & Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Tom Petty, etc.

Kasabian Kasabian

Fiona Apple Tidal and When the Pawn...

Oasis Don't Believe the Truth

Edie Brickell and the Bohemians Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars

Daniel I'm glad none of those are there.

Bullfinch, rather than ridiculing other people's choices, why don't you just give us your list?

which ones have you actually heard?

I have given my list!

Bullfinch, indeed you have given your list, and I apologize for failing to notice that. Still, your comment on Daniel's list was kind of uncalled for.

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn...[/i]
Mariah Carey - Butterfly[/i]
Nelly Furtado - Folklore[/i]
Patty Loveless - Mountain Soul[/i] or Only What I Feel[/i]

David Axelrod - Song of Innocence
James Mason - Rhythm of Life
Marcos Valle - Garra
Michael Franks - The Art of Tea
Carole King - Rhymes & Reasons
Sagittarius - Present Tense
Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks & Blues
The Free Design - Kites Are Fun
Yesterday's New Quintet - A Tribute To Brother Weldon
Stereolab - Cobra & Phases...
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
Carpenters - A Song For You
Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions
Rupert Holmes - Partners In Crime
Boz Scaggs - Down Two Then Left
Burt Bacharach - Reach Out
Toto - Toto
The Crusaders - 1
Terry Callier - What Color Is Love
Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends
Bruce Haack - The Electric Lucifer
Bob James - Two
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave
Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of The Apocalypse
Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense & Peppermints
Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening
Wendy & Bonnie - Genesis
Donald Byrd - Places & Spaces
Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces of a Man
Group Home - Livin' Proof
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Chicago - Chicago VII
Iron Butterfly - Ball

A lot of Soft Pop & SoulJazz get neglected among these kinds of lists. I wonder why?

Camera Obscura -Underachievers Please Try Harder/Let's Get Out of this Country

Liz Phair -Whitechocolatespaceegg
Tori Amos -Boys for Pele
Lush- Lovelife
Her Space Holiday -the Young Machines
Soundtrack of Our Lives -Behind the Music
Oasis -Heathen Chemistry
Dressy Bessy -s/t
Supergrass -Life on Other Planets
Ash - Free All Angels
Gomez -Split the Difference

Well, I want to point to the 5 albums that were on my Top 100 (the one I've sent to Jacek) and are not in AM lists:

CAMARÓN “La leyenda del tiempo” (1979), #35 on my list.
Camarón was simultaneously the last of the classic “cantaores” (flamenco singers) and the main innovator of this ancient style. “La leyenda del tiempo” (“The Legend of Time”) has been hailed often as the Sgt. Pepper’s of flamenco, a breaking point in flamenco evolution. Camarón stopped at the time his long term professional relationship with Paco de Lucía (another ground-breaking flamenco guitarist) and began a productive association with other flamenco innovators like producer Ricardo Pachón, guitar player Tomatito and most significantly Raimundo Amador and Kiko Veneno from Veneno. Based in poems of Federico García Lorca, the sounds in this album interact with total naturalness and freedom the flamenco tradition with such diverse elements as jazz-rock (“La leyenda del tiempo”), Caribbean music (“Volando voy”) and Hindu music (“Nana del caballo grande”).

JACQUES BREL “Olympia 64” (1964), #51 on my list.
I’ve chosen a live album from one of the best live performers ever. He was not only the main figure of French “chanson”, the composer of immortal songs (like “Amsterdam”, “Jef” or “Mathilde” here in this album) and an amazing singer, but also he lived his lyrics, he acted his stories. He was a total artist, and in his performances the movements of his hands and his mouth and the expressions on his face were almost as important as the lyrics or the singing. Scott Walker or David Bowie have learned a lot of these theatrical kind of performances, but the Belgian singer remain unsurpassed in my opinion.

VINÍCIUS DE MORAES “Grabado en Buenos Aires con Maria Creuza y Toquinho” (1970), #66 on my list.
Vinícius de Moraes was a poet and the main lyricist of the MPB (“música popular brasileira”) along with such fine composers like Antonio Carlos Jobim, Carlos Lyra or Baden Powell. In 1970, when he was 57 years old, he decided to deliver himself his own songs (he had done it previously very occasionally) and teamed with young musicians Toquinho and Maria Creuza for some shows in La Fusa in Buenos Aires. The success of these shows promoted the recording of this album in Argentina, one of the best Brazilian albums ever, with inspired and stripped performances of immortal songs like “Garota de Ipanema”, “Berimbau” or “Samba em preludio”.

GORAN BREGOVIC “Underground - Soundtrack” (1995), #79 on my list.
Goran Bregovic is the living proof of a possible peaceful ethnic synthesis. He was born in Sarajevo, son of a catholic Croatian and an orthodox Bosnian, with Jewish background and married to a Muslim Bosnian. During the 70s and 80s he played with a rock band, Bijelo Dugme, but at the end of the 80s he teamed with filmmaker Emir Kusturica in order to make amazing soundtracks like this one. His music is a fresh mixture of traditional Balkan music, gypsy styles, classical music, pop and even electronica. He used an orchestra with strings and choir but replaced the main voices by traditional Bulgarian or Macedonian singers, the brass section by gypsy musicians (the great Wedding and Funeral Band) and the percussion section by programmed digital sequences. I’ve seen them playing live just a month ago, and it was nice to meet other 5000 people dancing madly to the “boom, boom, boom” rhythm of “Kalasnjikov”.

PATA NEGRA “Blues de la frontera” (1988), #80 on my list.
Flamenco and blues are two styles with many similarities. Both are the way of expression of a ethnic minority (black people in USA and Gypsies in Spain), both are styles founded in suffering and injustice. The particular way of singing the flamenco is called the “quejío” (moan) with a meaning similar of the “blues”, and the style is called “cante jondo” (it could be translated as “singing deeply”). The Amador brothers formed Pata Negra after the breaking of Veneno (the real pioneers), fusing blues and flamenco so freely and easily creating a refreshing new style very influential in Spanish musicians. “Blues de la frontera” (“Blues of the Border”) is their best album, with such gems as “Bodas de sangre”, “Pasa la vida” or “Camarón” (its tribute to the singer).

Other interesting albums not in AM:
MILTON NASCIMENTO “Clube da esquina” (1972)
PENGUIN CAFÉ ORCHESTRA “Music From the Penguin Café” (1976)
NUSRAT FATEH ALI KHAN “Devotional Songs” (1992)

You MUST hear these albums, believe me. I want to make a proposition to all the people in AM forum. In a new thread I will post the name of 5 songs from this 5 albums and the English translation of the lyrics to make the whole thing more enjoyable. Please download these songs, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

But I will start the new thread after the weekend. In less than an hour I will go to the F.I.B. (Festival Internacional de Benicassim). Tonight I’m going to see playing live such great bands like The Pixies, Echo & the Bunnymen and The Strokes (and many more). Tomorrow it’s the turn of Morrissey, Mojave 3, Rufus Wainwright and Franz Ferdinand. And unfortunately I could’nt get tickets for Sunday, so I will miss Depeche Mode or Madness.

Sorry if I cause you some envy with that!

* art bears: the world as it is today
* the auteurs: after murder park
* boredoms: onanie bomb meets the sex pistols
* camper van beethoven: telephone free landslide victory
* james chance/contortions: buy
* clinic: clinic (3 ep's)
* codeine: frigid stars lp
* the db's: stands for decibels
* galaxie 500: today
* half japanese: loud
* j.k. & co.: suddenly one summer
* liars: they were wrong, so we drowned
* lilys: better can't make your life better
* low: the curtain hits the cast
* the mandrake memorial: puzzle
* melt banana: cell-scape
* mercury rev: see you on the other side
* os mutantes: a divina comédia ou ando meio desligado
* nation of ulysses: 13-point program to destroy america
* neutral milk hotel: on avery island
* nurse with wound: chance meeting on a dissecting table......
* the olivia tremor control: black foliage
* the pale fountains: pacific street
* plasticland: color appreciation
* the pop group: how much longer do we tolerate mass murder
* pussy galore: right now
* the rain parade: emergency third rail power trip
* royal trux: twin infinitives
* scraping foetus off the wheel: nail
* this heat: this heat
* throbbing gristle: 1st annual report
* walker brothers: nite flights
* ween: god ween satan - the oneness
* white noise: an electric storm
* robert wyatt: ruth is stranger than richard
* xtc: white music
* bergen white: for women only
* brian wilson: pacific ocean blue
* yellow magic orchestra: technodelic

eitherway... what about an 'am so pleasantly surprised to spot that record on the list'-posting slot, just to keep the balance right... so many gems get their well deserved spotlight in here, it even makes the rubbish listed next to them shinier than one can imagine

ohhh... just another little addition with due respect to daniel b., who brought the childhood memory into play:

* john williams/london symphony orchestra: empire strikes back (ost)

that's it for me//
so long...

dennis wilson, not brian. thanks.

Netjade, James Chance's BUY is on the list. It entered at #1443 in the most recent update.

oh, i see: #41 in 1979, at least. that's why i believe in miracles. thanks for the hint, harold.

and now THAT's a proper example for my former suggestion:
“I am pleasantly surprised to spot jame chance's BUY on the list". top notch. keep it busy, henrik. there's ALWAYS something to discover on your sites.

next i'm off to give ‘end of the century' a try. see you.

Nice choice Netjade with "Black Foliage" of The Olivia Tremor Control, one of the best psychedelic record ever made. I love this band. I'm looking forward to hearing some Circulatory System new stuff.

I have a lot of albums that I think are great and aren't on the list. I couldn't possibly think of them all, so I went thru the artists list on AM and listed one good album by some acclaimed artists that didn't make the cut. Many of these might not be top 2500 but are some favorites of mine none the less:

10,000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden
2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement
ABBA - ABBA: The Album
ABC - How to Become a Zillionaire!
AC/DC - High Voltage
Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (Parts I & II)
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Air - The Virgin Suicides OST
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies EP
The Allman Brothers Band - 1st
Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
The Animals - Animal Tracks
Annie - Annimal
Anthrax - I'm the Man EP
Fionna Apple - Tidal
Richard Ashcroft - 1st
The B-52's - Cosmic Thing
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile
Bad Company - Straight Shooter
Badly Drawn Boy - About a Boy OST
Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun
The Beach Boys - Friends
Beastie Boys - To the 5 Burroughs
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine OST
Beck - One Foot in the Grave
Jeff Beck - Wired
George Benson - Cookbook
The Beta Band - Hot Shots
Big Black - Hammer Party
Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing
Bikini Kill - Pussywhipped
The Black Crowes - Amorica
Black Flag - My War
Black Grape - Stupid Stupid Stupid
B.R.M.C. - Howl at the Moon
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Black Sheep - A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Blue Oyster Cult - 1st
The Boo Radleys - Wake Up
BDP - Ghetto Music: The Blueprint
The Books - Lost and Safe
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Brand Nubian - In God We Trust
James Brown - Love Power Peace
The Byrds - Untitled

I'm going to stop now because I can see this will take a while. Hopefully I will continue soon.

"Black Grape - Stupid Stupid Stupid"

No, I really must say no. I own it and it's terrible.

Bullfinch's thoughts on Black Grape

I must admit, it isn't as good as the 1st album, but it's worth it for the first half IMO. From your list, I would have to disagree with Adore. Being a huge Pumpkins fan, I bought the album expected a lot. I immediately hated it. Then after a few listens I started to like a few songs, but never really listen to it again for about 5 years. After hearing it after so long, I remembered why I hated it in the first place. It falls into the same catagory as everything Billy Corgan has done in the past decade, which is pure cuckies.

Maybe I like Otis Redding too much, but I think In Person at the Wiskey A Go Go is one of the best live albums of all time.

I agree with Nan that Don't Believe the Truth by Oasis should be there.

Coldplay's "X&Y". But I guess only a question of time. :)

And "Origin Of Symmetry" by Muse. I am quite puzzled how "Absolution" has managed to get into the list while "Origin Of Symmetry" is not present.

Of course, I expect "Black Holes And Revelation" will be Muse's highest AM-charting album by the end of 2006 anyway. Obviously their most acclaimed album yet.

anything by Pedro the Lion and Jars of Clay...
...and Collective Soul's second album (*glances around wildly then runs to the corner to avoid public scrutiny*)

Just one note to Dan: "Yellow Submarine" is basically a compilation, particularly the more recent edition.

And I suppose the original orchestral score by George Martin isn't the main reason why you want it included? ;)

The first Randy Newman album, 'Randy Newman'. It is the most glaring omission I've yet come across. There's more musical content in its 28 minutes then in most artists' entire careers.

Ian MacDonald's essay on the album can be found in his excellent "other" book, 'The People's Music' which is a penny at Amazon.

yeah, i agree. i like muse's origin of symetry better than absolution... haven't heard their latest.

this isn't really the topic, but i kinda wish EP's could be included in the list somewhere. because stuff like at the drive in's "vaya", and the rapture's "out of the races and onto the tracks" are well worth a mention but they don't fit a category on AM :(

albums i think should be included?

air - 10,000Hz Legend (i think it was taken off the list last update.)
the knife - deep cuts
midnight oil - 10,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (how on earth did this album not make it?)
portishead - roseland NYC live
sonic youth - experimental jet set, trash & no star
nine inch nails - with teeth

i dunno though. they're not unforgivable omissions. just stuff i think beats alot of the stuff in the last 500 or so... not that i've heard it all... hardly heard any of it to be quite honest so really that list shouldn't be taken too seriously

I would really like to see at least one Deerhoof album inch up to the top 2500. I guess the problem is that as an artist they are amazing, but none of their individual records sound epic and complete. Perhaps they're destined to be the most innovative, experimential and catchy band always under the radar of massive critic appeal. I'm curious though, if any Deerhoof albums have made any kind of fight for Acclaimed 2500 status.

i've always considered “milk man" to be the most coherent one, but that impression just might come from the record's relatively short running time...

Milk Man is my favorite, and one of my fav albums of this decade. For some reason though, the critics who turned on me on to Deerhoof (mostly pitchforkmedia) didn't think highly of that record compared to the other recent ones. It wraps up all of what the bands about in a tight polished package without going too off the deep end with the avant-garde noise.

And the title track has got to be one of the best songs this decade too.

The 2002 album Revielle deserves some attention as well, but it doesn't offer any skewed poppy or melodious moments.

Here's a couple off the top of my head:

Badfinger- No Dice (1970)
Badfinger- Straight Up (1971)
Badfinger- Wish You Were Here (1974)
The Beach Boys- Friends (1968)
The Beach Boys- 20/20 (1969)
John Mayall- A Hard Road (1967)
John Mayall- Blues From Laurel Canyon (1969)
John Mayall- The Turning Point (1969)
Paul McCartney- McCartney (1969)
Paul McCartney- Venus and Mars (1974)
The Monkees- Headquarters (1967)
Van Morrison- Blowin' Your Mind! (1967)
The Pretty Things- The Pretty Things (1965)
The Pretty Things- Get the Picture (1965)
T. Rex- Unicorn (1969)
T. Rex- Tanx (1973)
The White Stripes- The White Stripes (1999)
The White Stripes- De Stijl (2000)
The Yardbirds- Five Live Yarbirds (1964)

im agree with

os mutantes: a divina comédia ou ando meio desligado

how the fuck its no in??

Deerhoof seems to be a band that's discovered by a few more critics with every record. "The Runners Four" was listed by several mags last year and is not very far from AM top 2500.

As mentioned, we definitely miss:

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn

Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

Also:

Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Many Heavy Metal albums missing, but that is to be expected.

In the Language Bias department we are missing:

Shonen knife - 712, Pretty Little Baka Guy (At least)

Kaizers Orchestra - Ompa Til Du dör

I disagree with those who want to include a Paul Mccartney album other than Ram or Band on the Run

Dave Matthews Band - Under the table and dreaming
Fiona Apple - When the pawn...
Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie
A Perfect Circle - 13th Step
Jamiroquai - Travelling without moving
Justin Timberlake - Justified
Ace of Base - The Sign
Skunk Anansie - Stoosh
The Stone Roses - Second Coming
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
The The - Dusk
Tool - 10.000 days
Weezer - Maladroit

Nationality bias:
Aske Bentzon - Badminton
Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - Dizzy Mizz Lizzy

Language bias:
Kaizers Orchestra - Ompa till du dør
Malk de Koijn - Sneglzilla

The Stone Roses - "Second coming" = a great underrated album, far better than their minor and overrated first record.
Eh eh, I know by saying this that English people is gonna hate me ! Sorry I'm confused...

Nico - "Desertshore"
Paul Kantner & Jefferson Starship - "Blows Against The Empire"
Harfield and the North - "The Rotters Club"