Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: If you could move just one album on list...

Surely you would all agree with me that Talk Talk's Laughing Stock should be number 1.

I'd move Marvin Gaye's What's Going On down into the hundreds

I would switch REM's Out of Time(212) with Reckoning(678).

Prince's 1999 up to number 1.

More realistically, I'd like to see Annie's Anniemal appear on the list- anywhere!

I'd agree with Keith. Out of Time was hardly a bad album, but it has nothing on Reckoning, which seems to fall further down the list with each update. It's odd considering how well Reckoning ages, especially when compared to a lot (most, actually) of other stuff that came out in the 80's. I think that the main reason stems from the fact that R.E.M.'s 80's work is, aside from Murmur, somewhat ignored completely by non-North American (i.e., U.S. and Canadian) critics.

Either that or take Oasis down a few pegs or move "Downtown Train" up by about a thousand places. It's scary to live in a world where a band that rehashes so much of their own material (if you've heard one Oasis album, you've basically heard them all) can out-rank someone as unique and adventurous as Tom Waits. Glad that Blur finally passed them though.

Actually, now that I looked at the lists R.E.M.'s 80's albums appear on, it seems that it isn't so much the rest of the world aside for the US, but rather just Britain. Norway, the Netherlands and Germany revere their 80's output almost as much the US critics do.

Oh yeah, and I'm all for moving In Utero up to 17. Additionally, I think that Nirvana's two live albums should be higher and Nevermind should be lower. Their artist ranking is fair though, only I'd place them above Radiohead (not that there's anything wrong with Radiohead).

Years...

Hen-

Shouldn't Whitney Houston's "It's Not Right, But it's Okay" appear in 1998, since the My Love is Your Love album was released in 1998?

No, because the single was released in 1999. And I would switch OK Computer with Kid A.

I would move Wire's Pink Flag somewhere between 50 and 100....210 is way too high

What about the Editors' "Back Room" or KT Tunstal's "Eye To The Telescope" last year? Or the song by "Clocks" by Coldplay in 2002? Or the album "Californication" by RHCP in 1999? Where are they?

I completely agree Aveek, There are many songs and albums as of late denied their place on the list...

E.G 2004's Dredsden Dolls - The Dresden dolls

It's easily my favourite album of the decade thus far... anyone else like it and agree it's great?

I would switch Nevermind with In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea.

I would switch IN THE AEROPLANE, OVER THE SEA with just about anything. I'd also have SEA CHANGE and EITHER/OR ranked a lot higher. ODESSEY AND ORACLE and HERE COME THE WARM JETS would be in the top 50.

I would switch aeroplane over the sea with a dog shit.

I would move The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd up to number 3.

What about if you could move just one song? I would move Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles down to number 37.

If you only can move one album or song, I don't get why you make your choice a move of less than 100 positions. Do you completely agree with everything else? There are albums and songs in the top 100 that are not even in my personal top 2500. One example is "I Want to Hold Your Hand", I'm not sure it even belongs in a Beatles top 101 list.

I think "I Want to Hold Your Hand" gets ranked higher than it deserves (it's a fairly unremarkable pop song, certainly not a patch on the truly exciting "She Loves You" or even "Please Please Me") because of its historical significance, as the song that launched Beatlemania in the U.S. and hence around the world. Of course, that raises the question, for those of us who weren't there, as to WHY a fairly unremarkable pop song should have been the one to launch an international phenomenon that changed the world forever, but there ya go.

Another question is why historical significance has such an impact on the critics. For "the most important songs of all time" lists this is logical, but why is I Want to Hold Your Hand included in so many "best songs of all time" lists?

I'm not agree with you, "I want to hold your hand" is a very good pop song and I think it deserves his place in the AM top 2500 songs.

looking back at Moonbeam's idea. Anniemal is a fantastic record! One of the great modern pop records, which I'm not even seeing anywhere on any list.

heck I don't know who made up this list but I can see 5 albumns that I would pitch right out of the top twenty starting with the velvet underground, the sex pistols, the clash, patty smith, and the boss's born to run. Hey but that's just me