Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pink

Yet another women being praised for her new release. We need more good pop music. I'm ready to see Imogen Heap, Pink, Sleater-Kinney, KT Tunstal, YYYs, Izzy Campbell, Neko Case, Jenny Lewis,Rainer Maria, Gwen Stefani, Sia, St. Etienne, Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, the Gossip, Pretty Girls Make Graves, the Go Team, MIA, Goldfrapp,Morning Wood, the Veronicas and Giant Drag all in one concert. I hated Lilith Fair but someone should get these girls together to prove that women are at the top of their game again.

I Like Her...

Just how GREAT is "Stupid Girls"? I really enjoy the Misundaztood album, too. Girls' got moxie and we like that.

Re: Pink

This is totally sexist. Maybe one day can we start listening to music instead of male music or female music? On your hypothetical festival, what's the added value of Pink instead of, say, Robbie Williams or Oasis? To prove that women are at the top of their game? It will be a huge relief for women everywhere that they are doing OK as a group.
Also, you seem not to have any respect for non-singing musicians. I wouldn't call St. Etienne, the Go!Team or Pretty Girls Make Graves female bands, as none of these bands have a majority of female members. But the singers are female, and who cares about the others, right?

Bob brings up an excellent point. Morningwood by the way.

Well...

we all know that music has always been a "man's" world. Just look at the best-of/greatest lists for that! Does that eman that men make better music than women? Absolutely NOT. Is it perhaps a stereotypical viewpoint for some that they do? Maybe.

I think that tim was trying to call some attention to female acts, whren they don't necessarily get the same that male/male-fronted acts get.

I like how my comment was mysteriously edited. Am I allowed to sue for defamation of character?

I was on one forum about how everyone dislikes this year so far. I think this is a groundbreaking year for women. Few women were mentioned in albums that were anticipated this year. All I saw were bands that have been past there prime for 10 years already.

Tim speaks the truth!

I thought Lillith Fair was too goofy. It had this folky flowery feminism quality to it. All the girl or a least female fronted, yes Garbage played Lillith Fair)acts are more pop oriented so I would have Pink, Missy Elliot, Goldfrapp and MIA as the main acts and make it seem less political and more music oriented.

"Yet another women being praised for her new release. "

Who praised her? 73 on Metacritic is a mediocre rating. Only two critics giving her more than 90.

No, a 73 is not a mediocre rating. In case you haven't realized, that score falls under the "generally favorable" area. And her score has been steadily climbing. Metacritic is not representative of the best reviews. Coldplay's Parachutes averages 70 or 71 and it's in 500s ranking on most acclaimed albums of all time.

At Metacritic a 73 is a mediocre rating. Just check the music added recently (the column on the left side of the metacritic page). About 90 records have a lower rating, about 80 have a higher rating.
But I agree that metacritic ratings can be misleading.

Another way to interpret the high metascores is that most of the music that comes out today is actually good. I definitely belong to the group of people who don't think this decade is the best in rock history, but nevertheless I think it would be healthy for some people in this forum to be a little more positive. Write about what you like and realize that it's only natural that other people have different opinions.

Anything in the 70s in pretty good. Cat Power only got an 80 and she still has one of the best reviewed albums of the year. How is that possible?

It's because I take both the metascore and the number of reviews into account. As an example, Cat Power has a metascore of 80 based on 34 reviews. At Acclaimed Music this gives the same "score" as a metascore of 86 based on 24 reviews.

The relation between the metascore and the number of reviews is based on a comparison between metacritic data and critics lists from previous years (2000-2004).

Oh please, Henrik. It's obvious you're referring to me. I'm not being negative. You don't have to be discreet. This forum is about debate and discussion, therefore I am entitled to my opinion. Even though in this case, my argument was FACT. Not everyone is going to like what I have to say, so be it. And vice versa. Life isn't all about teddy bears, sunshine, fluffy clouds and other happy things. If someone doesn't like what I post, they don't have to read it, simple as that.

And I post what I want unless you get me a girlfriend, goddamn!!

Did I mention that X&Y is a really boring album?

Did I mention I like to talk out of my ass????

I don't need a significant other, especially when I have all of you who just LOVE me! Thank you, thank you, you're all so WONDERFUL!!

Nice turn, pathetics. Apparently you don't even respond quickly to sarcasm

LOLOLOLOLOL, Stupid Boys!