Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOJO: The 100 Greatest Albums of Our Lifetime

The May issue of MOJO is the magazine’s 150th issue, and to commemorate the occasion they’ve selected “The 100 Greatest Albums of Our Lifetime” (1993-present). Here’s the list:

1. Jeff Buckley, GRACE
2. Johnny Cash, AMERICAN RECORDINGS
3. Radiohead, OK COMPUTER
4. Bob Dylan, TIME OUT OF MIND
5. Oasis, DEFINITELY MAYBE
6. The Flaming Lips, THE SOFT BULLETIN
7. Radiohead, KID A
8. The White Stripes, ELEPHANT
9. Nirvana, MTV UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK
10. Beck, ODELAY
11. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, THE BOATMAN’S CALL
12. Spiritualized, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE
13. Nirvana, IN UTERO
14. Massive Attack, MEZZANINE
15. Bob Dylan, LOVE AND THEFT
16. Radiohead, THE BENDS
17. Johnny Cash, AMERICAN III: SOLITARY MAN
18. Teenage Fanclub, GRAND PRIX
19. ENDTRODUCING … DJ SHADOW
20. Bonnie “Prince” Billy, I SEE A DARKNESS
21. Tom Waits, MULE VARIATIONS
22. Outkast, SPEAKERBOXXX/THE LOVE BELOW
23. BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB
24. Elliott Smith, EITHER/OR
25. PJ Harvey, STORIES FROM THE CITY, STORIES FROM THE SEA
26. Wilco, YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT
27. Air, MOON SAFARI
28. The White Stripes, WHITE BLOOD CELLS
29. Madonna, RAY OF LIGHT
30. Mercury Rev, DESERTER’S SONGS
31. Lucinda Williams, CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
32. Beck, MUTATIONS
33. The Strokes, IS THIS IT
34. Solomon Burke, DON”T GIVE UP ON ME
35. Portishead, DUMMY
36. The Flaming Lips, YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS
37. Brian Wilson, SMILE
38. Belle and Sebastian, IF YOU’RE FEELING SINISTER
39. Pulp, DIFFERENT CLASS
40. PJ Harvey, TO BRING YOU MY LOVE
41. Elvis Costello and the Imposters, THE DELIVERY MAN
42. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, NO QUARTER - UNLEDDED
43. Antony and the Johnsons, I AM A BIRD NOW
44. Super Furry Animals, RINGS AROUND THE WORLD
45. Kate Bush, AERIAL
46. Supergrass, IN IT FOR THE MONEY
47. Queens of the Stone Age, R
48. Bruce Springsteen, DEVILS AND DUST
49. Gillian Welch, TIME (THE REVELATOR)
50. BLUR
51. FRANZ FERDINAND
52. Ryan Adams, HEARTBREAKER
53. Bjork, POST
54. Beastie Boys, ILL COMMUNICATION
55. The Beta Band, THE THREE EPS
56. Pavement, CROOKED RAIN, CROOKED RAIN
57. The Libertines, UP THE BRACKET
58. R.E.M., NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI
59. The Magnetic Fields, 69 LOVE SONGS
60. The Arcade Fire, FUNERAL
61. Oasis, (WHAT’S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY?
62. Wu-Tang Clan, ENTER THE WU-TANG (36 CHAMBERS)
63. Morrissey, VAUXHALL AND I
64. Tortoise, MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE
65. Primal Scream, XTRMNTR
66. Neil Young and Crazy Horse, SLEEPS WITH ANGELS
67. THE MISEDUCATION OF LAURYN HILL
68. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, ORANGE
69. Aimee Mann, LOST IN SPACE
70. Sigur Ros, AGAETIS BYRJUN
71. Al Green, I CAN’T STOP
72. Blur, PARKLIFE
73. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, ABBATOIR BLUES/THE LYRE OF ORPHEUS
74. Norah Jones, COME AWAY WITH ME
75. The Verve, A NORTHERN SOUL
76. Bruce Springsteen, THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD
77. Tricky, MAXINQUAYE
78. Eminem, THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP
79. Tinariwen, THE RADIO TISDAS SESSIONS
80. Guided by Voices, BEE THOUSAND
81. Manic Street Preachers, THE HOLY BIBLE
82. Arctic Monkeys, WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT’S WHAT I’M NOT
83. The Prodigy, SONGS FOR THE JILTED GENERATION
84. U2, ALL THAT YOU CAN’T LEAVE BEHIND
85. Salif Keita, MOFFOU
86. Paul Weller, STANLEY ROAD
87. The Jayhawks, SOUND OF LIES
88. R.L. Burnside, A ASS POCKET OF WHISKY
89. Red Hot Chili Peppers, CALIFORNICATION
90. Maria McKee, LIFE IS SWEET
91. Boards of Canada, MUSIC HAS THE RIGHT TO CHILDREN
92. Manu Chao, CLANDESTINO
93. System of a Down, TOXICITY
94. Michael Head and the Strands, THE MAGICAL WORLD OF THE STRANDS
95. Rufus Wainwright, POSES
96. Underworld, SECOND TOUGHEST IN THE INFANTS
97. D’Angelo, BROWN SUGAR
98. Nine Inch Nails, THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL
99. Sizzla, BLACK WOMAN AND CHILD
100. Coldplay, A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD

Yay for Ray of Light...

keep on coming, lists, to bring this album closer to its fellow brilliant Like a Prayer.

Re: MOJO: The 100 Greatest Albums of Our Lifetime

Bad list.

Another list with Ok Computer at the top ¿how far can this album climb in am?

and the undisputable album of the year around here
82. Arctic Monkeys, WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT’S WHAT I’M NOT

Slim Pickings For...

black/urban albums- yes, I noticed that, Jason (if you're reading). But at least it has Lauryn Hill on there, and Outkast and D'Angelo. But, from what I saw, no Kanye! He's be majorly pissed, I'm sure.

I'm shocked that X&Y isn't on this list, haven't these Mojo guys been reading the acclaimed forum thread on that album? What were they thinking? And Mojo is a British magazine.

I'm glad the likes of PJ Harvey's albums, BEE THOUSAND, 69 LOVE SONGS and YOSHIMI made the list. Although, in my opinion, STANKONIA is much better than that SPEAKERBOXXX/LOVE BELOW album.

*gasp!* Yeah, I totally agree Rocky!

Aquemini is better than both of them!

The list is OK, Grace has now become the most hideously overrated album of the 90's. Not much in the way of hip-hop on the list but this is Mojo magazine and there are more albums made by artists over 45 then debuts so it's expected.

Thanks Harold!

Not the most interesting list I've seen, but they released this list to celebrate and sum up their lifetime rather than to come up with something new, and that's fine with me!

I generally like it. In fact i just went out & brought those Johnny Cash albums as a direct result. However i did soon realise that it seems to have actually been compiled by votes from the readers as well as the writers - in the synopsis, the editor-in-chief says :

'The following are the records that our writers and readers alike have judged the contemporary releases that rank with the greats'

So, i'm left thinking, can it actually be included at AM ? (i think it should btw).

Also, just thought i should mention, it actually starts from October 1993 (1st issue of MOJO). So effectively their greatest 100 albums of the last 12.5 years.

For crying out loud, Mojo is funnily charming. Ever was. Since his existence, the mag has managed to put the obvious next to the unexpected. Old fart indolence and offside attention. Stupid and worthwile. That list says it all.

These aren't necessarily my 100 favourite albums of the past 12.5 years, but I think they've done a fine job in compiling this list. It has some overlooked gems, like Mutations, New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Bee Thousand. Also, the top 10 is pretty good.
And the placings I disagree with are funny rather than infuriating: Grace on #1, American Recordings 1 above 3 and a lot of old people.
Alas, no Aeroplane though.

"The following are the records that our writers and readers alike have judged the contemporary releases that rank with the greats"

I looked in the magazine in the store today and from my quick view it seemed as if this is the only info about how the list was compiled. The minimal info obviously raises questions. Where did the readers' votes come from? Was there an invitation to all readers in the previous issue to send a list of the favorite albums? What was the balance between critics' votes and readers' votes?

I think there has been a few combined critics and readers lists before (although I cannot give an example right now) that I haven't included, but I somehow feel that this list is more eligible and could be included. The small percentage of albums from the most recent years is an indication of that the critics' votes are weighted much higher, although this could also be because Mojo's readers are relatively old and nostalgic.

I'd like to hear your opinions about this. Thanks!

I think the list should be included. It clearly isn't labeled a "reader's poll", and there's no indication of how it was compiled, leading me to assume that the editors had the largest amount of say as to what was included and how they were ranked. It definitely has more of a feel of "_Our_ Favo(u)rite Albums" as opposed to "_Your_ Favo(u)rite Albums".

It's fascinating that two of the top 20 albums contain Will Oldham's "I See a Darkness" (B"P"B's album of that name and AMERICAN III). Does that make it the greatest _song_ of MOJO's lifetime? (I realize that three Nirvana songs also appear on two top 20 albums, but it's not the same thing - even if Oldham does guest-star on Johnny's version.)

I think the list should be included. When in doubt, include! :-)

That said, I can see the point of trying to find some kind of rules that makes Henrik's workload manageable. How about all lists in music magazines that are widely distributed in press shops? (I know you're not going to like this one, but still... )

Yeah...

I think it's alright to include, for reasons stated.

I think the big one that's a combo of critics nd readers, that's not included, is the Virgin 1000 Albums, correct?

I think the big one that's a combo of critics nd readers, that's not included, is the Virgin 1000 Albums, correct?

That's right. But the Virgin list looks very different to the Mojo list, with one year old blockbuster albums riding high. I will never include that list.

Another important difference between Mojo and Virgin:

Apparently the staff at Mojo feel that their readers have similar taste to their own, otherwise they wouldn't have presented a combined list.

The same can probably not be said about the Virgin list, as the critics who took part of the poll had no control over how the list was compiled.

Henrik, you must include it! It has The Soft Bulletin at number 6.

True, Henrik...

and, yes, it must be included! Gotta get Ray of Light higher on the AM list! With this list, 1,001 Albums and that Albums: 50 Years of Great Recordings, we're looking at a decent move up!

I really find that list quite shocking actually. Are the Mojo people serious music critics???

What's your problem?

Well my problem is it just doesnt look like they've put much effort into compiling the list. There's some very predictable and generally overrated stuff in it.

Downward spiral and Miseducation of Lauryn Hill got severly ripped off. Where the hell is the Streets? The Bends by Radiohead, in my opinion is the best album they have, so what the Fuck? Also I didn't catch any A Tribe Called Quest Albums, or Black Star, and Oh Yeah Kanye did get ripped as well as Brian Wilson's Smile, (unless that was released earlier, I can't remember).

Dudemon, SMILE is in fact on the list, at #37.

Radiohead's "OK Computer" is the finest hour of popular music in the last 15 years. Period.

It seems weird to me to not include one list that includes readers' votes and not include another simply because the results don't match other lists or what you like. Isn't that bringing bias into it?

Jess, you are correct that I introduce bias when I pick one list and not another. However, looking from another point of view that this site is about critics lists, then if the assumption that Mojo's readers have a similar taste as the critics the bias is small, whereas including the Virgin list would definitely introduce a lot more bias.

Re: MOJO

Isn't is just easier to say no list with fan input will be included?

To me, saying this about MOJO and that about Virgin is only reinforcing the notion that has been discussed several times here (i.e. that critics - or at least the ones who publish - seem to cater to a certain style of music). It's not like you need more lists, so why even introduce lists with fans?

The Virgin List...

is a combo of critics and fans choices, and is much larger in volume (10x bigger than the Mojo one). Not sure if that plays a role, but it's likely that far more fan input was put into the Virgin feature.

This list actually seems to have a v.definite 'Mojo critic's' bias : 7 out of the 12 Mojo critics albums of the year are in the top 20. 4 in the top 10. 2 in the top 3.

This is a good list 2 Radiohead & a Flaming Lips album in the top 10, they are my 2 favourate bands

I think them selecting GRACE #1 is one the most respectable and honest statements I've seen in music magazines. While most of the magazines and critics alike stick to over appreciated, so-called staples of popular music while making their lists or whatsoever, the guys in MOJO have just recognized how unique, masterful and talented singer Jeff Buckley was and how he was able to construct absolutely unique and wonderful music that has a timeless appeal. I've heard the Led Zeppelin meets Van Morrison descriptions and that's quite a good definition if someone doesn't have a clue about him and needs to find out.

Seriously, how can an album that has songs like Mojo Pin, Grace, Last Goodbye, So Real, Lover..., Eternal Life and Dream Brother be undeservedly at the top of the list? 7 masterpiece songs in one album.

I've always characterized GRACE as sounding like a compilation of epic closing tracks from 10 other albums. (Obviously, that's exactly what turns some people off.) There's so much passion bursting forth from every minute of the album, it's almost as if Buckley knew it was the only work he'd ever live to complete and so he wanted to cram a lifetime's worth of emotion into it.

This is a good idea from Mojo. After all, if they had featured a list of the best albums of all time, hardly any of the albums would have been from 1993 or more recent. With this criteria to choose from, you will have Mojo's view on an era Mojo is not first and foremost known to write about, which is refreshing, and also different from other mags.

I find it interesting that it's considered "our life time" when it's from 93?

For me, that's since I was 10, and it leaves out some greats from when I was a kid such as Michael Jackson's Bad, Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi and others.

Nevertheless, it's an ok list, but I wouldn't put Kid A in there at all, The Bends would be lower and OK Computer would win it. Outkast would be lower, but there, Norah Jones would be lower, Coldplay's Rush of Blood and Rufus Wainwright's Poses would be higher up.

But again, that's my opn.

Sorry, but Kid A should be in that list, just because its challenging music. Some may not like it, but I certainly do, should be higher on the list in my opinion.

Hail to the Thief really should be in the top 50 and its not even on the list; OK Computer and Kid A should be number one and number two, respectively, as OK Computer was the best album of the 90s and Kid A best of the 00s,any normal magazine or website will tell you that

KID A

http://onethirtybpm.com/2010/02/15/the-top-100-albums-of-the-2000s/10/

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7710-the-top-200-albums-of-the-2000s-20-1/2/

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/2009/rs100albums1.htm

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1430

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6922991.ece?offset=180

(and it shouldn't be on the list???)

no Summerteeth by Wilco...not that I expect anyone to respect that completely underrated masterpiece.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if something goes wrong with your industrial vehicle. We’ll be happy to get things running right again.

radiator repair service

Whether you need routine maintenance or urgent repairs, our certified mechanics are committed to getting the job done right the first time.

J&M Windermere Towing