Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cat Power

So far the most acclaimed record of the year. What # do you think it will be for this year's year end list?
I say #6

Re: Cat Power

It's WAY too early to tell. Since it was released so early in the year, if an album with lots of hype comes out later, The Greatest will likely be forgotten.

Can you say "Crash?" Music works like movies. If it's good enough it will be remembered. That Sufjan record came out a year ago and still topped critic's lists. Even the Go! Team had all sorts of hype after almost 2 years.

Music doesn't work like movies. If that's the case, the Grammys would be every bit as prestigious as the Oscars. And on point too. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is yet another excellent album from U2, but do you really think it should have won the Album of the Year award?? And the best albums are never on top of lists year end. Same goes with movies. Brokeback Mountain should have won over Crash, but it didn't. But I'm saying because The Greatest was released in January, people might think it came out at the end of 2005. It happens to the best. But you could be right. Number six sounds reasonable if you think about it. Because there ARE better albums so far. OH, and now that Neko Case released her album to unanimous acclaim, critics will likely favor HER instead of Cat Power. And Sufjan released Illinois in the latter part of the year and was fresh on critics' mind because of overhype. THAT's why he came out on top.

And Sufjan released Illinois in the latter part of the year and was fresh on critics' mind because of overhype. THAT's why he came out on top.

Actually, Illinois came out at the beginning of July, almost exactly mid-year. And both M.I.A. and Antony and the Johnsons came out early in the year, and did very well with the critics....

Is the 7th month of the year not the LATTER part of the year??? I did not say the END of the year, did I? I could see if I said June, but I did not. Like I said, albums that get hype do very well at the end of the year. Arular and I Am a Bird Now are both groundbreaking albums and their Mercury Prize Nominations also helped with acclaim. But artists like Doves' received some of the best reviews of its career with their latest album, Some Cities. However, since it does not follow a particular sound in the indie scene, critics unfairly overlooked it. The album's February/March release date did not favor them well, which is one of the points I am making.

Is the 7th month of the year not the LATTER part of the year??? I did not say the END of the year, did I?

First, relax.

Second, July 5 is about as close as you can get to exactly smack-dab in the middle of the year as you can release an album. Only the week before would have been closer last year.

You were implying that late-year hype propelled Sufjan to the top; I countered that it didn't really come out that late in the year, and you countered with semantics.

Anyway, as far as Cat Power's ultimate placement -- this is going to be a year of some big, hyped releases, I'm suspecting. I think she'll probably come in around 15-20 at the end of it all, if I had to guess.

Like I said, the latter part of the year. YOU were the one that tried to be all exacting telling me Illinois was released in the middle of the year. And I'm telling you that July is not the middle of the year. Thank you.

"When asked if there was any specific incident that could be pinpointed as the beginning of the deterioration of the Internet, historians pointed to an argument on a music-related message board over whether July could be called 'the middle of the year'..."

I hope someone else sees my point. And I'm thinking Tim is only arguing because he personally doesn't like Sufjan and just can't take that Illinois got high ratings. There must be some reason for the critics liking it, other than quality.

And June and July are the 2 months that are in the middle of the year. There's really no way to argue against this. If they're not, you're using some sort of 4th-dimensional calendar that I'm not privy to. And if that's the case, my sincere apologies.

Just realized I mentioned Tim when I meant Michael. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I don't want to get too bound up in semantics, and yes, I realize July 5 is 4 days after the exact midpoint of the year, therefore technically the "latter" part of the year. Of course, if released 1 week earlier, the album would have been from technically the first half of the year. But that wouldn't support the argument as well.

Regardless, I sort of agree with Michael. Often, end-of-year hype can propel an album a bit. But I bet if someone did a study of release dates for albums that did well with the critics, it would end up looking sort of random.

This discussion sucks...
Is it possible to talk about music and not about bullshits like that ?

Since this is becoming the year of the women with Goldfrapp, Neko Case, Cat Power, the Gossip, Isobell Campbell and the YYYs I think since the Cat Power was one of the 1st to come out this year it will be looked upon as opening the doors for a string of females.

I think you're right about Cat Power ushering in a string of females. I do not dislike Sufjan at all. I just think Illinois is incredibly overrated, though generally an excellent album. Seven Swans is just better and hopefully time will show that to these raving critics.

I think Cat Power could come in anywhere between 9-14, although on my own list she'll definitely be in the top 10. It is really cool how there has been a strong showing for female artists this year. Besides Cat Power and Belle and Sebastian, my favorite albums so far this year are by Beth Orton, Rosanne Cash and Jenny Lewis.

Also, I don't agree that critics favor albums released nearer the end of the year because those records are fresher in their memory. Just looking at the No. 1 album each year during the 2000s on Acclaimed Music proves that. 2000: Eminem (May), 2001: The Strokes (Sept.), 2002: Wilco (April), 2003: The White Stripes (April), 2004: Franz Ferdinand (March), 2005: Sufjan Stevens (July).

Four out of the six albums came out during the first half of their respective years. None of them came out during the last three months, and only "Is This It" even comes close to being qualified as a late-year release.

Obviously someone wasn't paying attention. Did you not read the word HYPE???? ALL of those albums had a swarm of hype. THAT is why they are remembered. They were impossible to forget!!

I think Sonofsamiam is more or less correct. You should relax a little, it will better for your health. I'm not sure why the slightest disagreement with anything you say in this forum is met with a belittling, derisive attack on your part. Whatever the reason for it (competitiveness, arrogance, insecurity), I've got nothing but love for ya, and sincerely only wish you the best.

Here's a direct quote from you about the Doves' album last year:

"The album's February/March release date did not favor them well, which is one of the points I am making."

So, in fact, one of the points you were making IS that an early release date hinders year-end critical acclaim. Your point about albums being hyped or "over-hyped" is well taken, but it's blatantly obvious.

Is it not the music press who usually create the buzz or hype about a particular artist or album? And is it not the same music press that is responsible for the year-end lists that are the basis of this Website? If they thought an album worthy of such hype and praise upon its release, then obviously they are going to remember it at the end of the year. Whether it came out in March (Franz Ferdinand), July (Sufjan Stevens) or September (The Strokes) is irrelevant, and that they were hyped and then remembered goes without saying.

Now, if you want to continue an intelligent and respectful discourse on the subject, I think that would be enjoyed and appreciated by all.

I am not trying to please anyone on this forum. I am going to continue to say exactly what I feel. I feel like you like to argue for the sake of caressing your ego. Why is it that you must refute every valid point I make? If you're going to do that, at least TRY to parallel your comments with the thoughtfulness of mine. You say I get defensive. Whenever I make a criticism about whatever you say, I strike a nerve and you flash teeth. Learn to control your inhibitions before trying to make yourself appear all high and mighty and OH SO knowledgable. Or else, continue to fall flat on your face, as usual. Have a nice day, Mr. Raccoon! :)

Weird statements. Does Michael basically need a girlfriend?

lol, no, Energy Joe, I don't need one of those.

I was only being sarcastic because I'm tired of Rocky taking himself too seriously.

I hadn't even heard of Sufjan Stevens til last year so i don't know what you're talking about as far as hype is concerned. I forgot to mention Jenny Lewis. She rocks!

Yeah, not too many people heard about him until critics started flapping at the mouth about Illinois. But hey, now you know.

I'm not a fan of too many male songwriters in general. Maybe the ones that were in bands or if they have a backing band.