Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rock N' Roll's Greatest Quotes

Rock N' Roll's Top Ten Greatest Quotes (In My Opinion)
1. Mother, Mother, theres far too many of you crying. Brother, Brother, Brother, theres far too many of you dying.- Marvin Gaye, Whats Going on
2. Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast- Bob Dylan, You're A Big Girl Now
3. Pleased to Meet You. Hope you guessed my name.- The Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the devil
4. Scuse Me while I kiss the sky- Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze
5. Imagine all the people living in the world today- John Lennon, Imagine
6. Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run- Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run
7. R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Find out what it means to me- Aretha Franklin, Respect
8. ... Who never ever learned to read or write so well, but he could play guitar just like a ringing a bell.- Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode
9. Cause London is drowning and I live by the river.- The Clash, London Calling
10. How could you just leave me standing, Loaded in a world thats so cold.- Prince, When Doves Cry

Re: Rock N' Roll's Greatest Quotes

Interesting Dylan choice.

It's Loaded in a world that's so cold?" I thought it was "alone in a world that's so cold."

It is "Alone in a world so cold".

My Bad

Cool list, I'd like to add one:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Great work, Dudemon. One more:
"And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die"
(The Smiths, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out)

Okay here's a few more

11. Just sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting time- Otis Redding The dock of the bay
12. The way things are going, they're going to crusify me.- Beatles, Ballad of John and Yoko
13. Mamas in a Factory she aint got no shoes, daddy's in the alley he's looking for food, I am in the kitchen with the tombstone blues- Boby Dylan, Tombstone Blues
14. Won't you help to sing another song of freedom- Bob Marley, Redemption
15. Now your crosses are burning fast- Neil Young, Southern Man
16. Well when that foghorn blows into the mystic- Van Morrison, Into the Mystic
17. Papa's got a brand new bag- James Brown, Papa's got a brand new bag
18. I wanna be anarchy!- The Sex Pistols, Anarchy in the U.K.
19. I have spoke in the tounge of angels, I have held the hand of the devil- U2, I Still haven't found what I'm looking for.
20. Why don't you all fade away, and don't try to dig what we all say- The Who, My Generation
21. Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine- Patti Smith, Gloria
22. Bass, how low can you go? Death Row? What a brother know?- Public Enemy
23. Load up on guns and bring your friends- Nirvana, Smells like teen spirit
24. Are you ready for a brand new beat- Martha & The Vandellas, Dancing in the street.
25. Billie Jean is not my lover, she's just a girl...- Michael Jackson
26. How does it feel, to be on your own- Bob Dylan, Like a rolling stone
27. And we would cook cornmeal porridge, of which I'll share with you- Bob Marley, No Woman no cry.
28. Living just enough for the city- Stevie Wonder, Living for the city
29. I say mother I'm down on my knees- Sam Cooke, A change is gotta come
30. You aint no friend of mine- Elvis Presley, Hound Dog

Not a quote from a song lyric, but the trademark combination of swagger, cynicism and self-irony is fine:

"One chord is fine, two is pushing it -- three and you're into jazz" -- Lou Reed

21. Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine- Patti Smith, Gloria

Nice. In my opinion, the greatest and most provocative opening line to an album.

Here's a line from a 2005 album that brilliantly plays off one of the lines that Dudemon singled out earlier:

"Tramps like us ... and we like tramps."
- from "Charlemagne in Sweatpants" off the Hold Steady's SEPARATION SUNDAY

Now that you mention it there are a few memorable quotes from this decade:

- And when he's gone he'll leave your ass for a white girl- Kanye West, Gold Digger.
-Now we're a family and we're all right now, we've got money and a little place to fight now.- White Stripes, The Hardest Button To button
- Thank god for mom and dog for sticking together cause we don't know how- Outkast, Hey Ya
- And kids are playing guns in the street. And this one's pointing his treebranch at me. So I put my hands up and said "enough is enough" and he shot me dead.- Bright Eyes
- So if you're lonely, you know I'm here waiting for you.- Franz Ferdinan, Take me out.
- London Calling, speak the slang now- M.I.A., Galang
- I'm an extraordinary machine- Fionna Apple, Extraordinary Machine
- You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, cause opportunity comes once in a lifetime- Eminem, Lose yourself

Wish I could think of a few more, but I haven't listened to everything yet.

Now that's a worthy post!

"I was sayin let me out of here even before I was born - oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crescent's glowing - and just like the river I've been ever running ever since - I remember standing by the wall the guns shot above our heads - black people gotta lot of problems but they don’t mind throwing a brick - government leaving the youth on the shelf -- it's such a gamble when you get a face - the sun's not yellow, it's chicken!!!"

moreofthatplease::::

Ok Here's a few more

-I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand- Jimi Hendrix, Voodo Chile
-Flying on your motorcycle, watching all the ground beneath you drop- Radiohead, High and dry
-Ziggy played guitar jamming good with Weird and Gilly, and the spiders from mars.
-I'm the traveler of both time and space, To be where I have been- Led Zeppelin, Kashmir
-How many rivers do we have to cross, before can talk to the boss?- Bob Marley, Burning & a Looting
-I wanted a girl, or should I say she wanted me- The Beatles, Norwiegen Wood
-You need me, and I need you, without each other, there aint nothing people can do- Aretha Franklin, Think
-The wind is in from Africa, and last night I couldn't sleep, Oh you know it sure is hard to leave yah carey, but it's really not my home- Joni Mitchell, Carey
-Even jesus would never forgive what you've done- Bob Dylan, Masters of War
-Hate was just a legend, war was never known- Neil Young, Cortez the killer
-It’s silly, no? When a rocket ship explode And everybody still wants 2 fly- Prince, Sign O The Times
-It aint me, I ain't no senator's son- Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fortunate One
-Well I'm a west coast struting, one bad mother, got a rattlecase suitcase, under my arms- Guns N' Roses, Nighttrane
-We got live together- Sly & The Family Stone, Everyday People
-Fucking with me cause I'm a teenager, with a little bit of gold and a pager, searching my car, looking for the product, thinking every N**** is selling narcotica- N.W.A., Fuck the Police
-You can crush us You can bruise us But you’ll have to answer to. Oh, the guns of brixton- The Clash, Guns of Brixton
- Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be- The Beatles, Let It Be
-Love it's a bitch- The Rolling Stones, Bitch

Actually, the line from Norwegian Wood is "I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me".

"He may be a father but he sure ain't a dad." Replacements

"The ones who love us best, are the ones we'll lay to rest; and visit their graves on holidays at best.
The ones who love us least, are the ones will die to please; But if it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them." Replacements

You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright; and that's alright, tonight. The Boss

I could drink a case of you, darlin' And I would still be on my feet; I'd still be on my feet.

Still I see here face, framed in blue skies, at the top of the slide, coming down. Ron Sexsmith

A couple of classic hip-hop quotes

"You having girl problems, I feel bad for you, son / I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one." -- Jay-Z "99 Problems"

"Elvis was a hero to most, but he don't mean shit to me / Straight up racist the sucker was, simple and plain / Yeah, mother fuck him and John Wayne." -- Public Enemy "Fight the Power"

"I burn down your cities, how blind you must be. I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we. You all must be crazy to put your faith in me. That's why I love mankind. You really need me." - GOD'S SONG, Randy Newman. Creationism, anyone?

I believe there'll come a day when the lion and the lamb/Will lie down in peace together in Jerusalem./
And there'll be no barricades then - There'll be no wire or walls/And we can wash all this blood from our hands - and all this hatred from our souls/And I believe that on that day all the children of Abraham/
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem.
-- Steve Earle, "Jerusalem"