Go to the NEW FORUM
From the writers of the recent 'Q Classic : Johnny Cash & The Story Of Country Rock' comes the following '30 Essential Country Rock Albums'...
30. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
29. Moby Grape - Moby Grape 69
28. Steven Stills & Manassas - Manassas
27. Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
26. Wilco - Being There
25. Linda Ronstandt - Linda Ronstandt
24. Joe Ely - Homkey Tonk Masquerade
23. Rick Nelson - Live At Troubadour
22. Poco - Pickin' Up The Pieces
21. Dullard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition Of Dullard & Clark
20. Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
19. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Broken
18. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everbody Else...
17. Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
16. Grateful Dead - American Beauty
15. Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter, Tompall Glaser - Wanted ! The Outlaws
14. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
13. Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
12. Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
11. Various Artists - O Brother Where Art Thou ?
10. Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
9. Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
8. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
7. Gene Clark - White Light
6. The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace Of Sin
5. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
4. The Eagles - Desperado
3. Emmylou Harris - Elite Hotel
2. Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
1. The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo
I'm far from expert on Moby Grape but I've heard a few of their songs and "country" never figured into their sound on the ones I've heard. Is their '69 album that different from songs like "Omaha"?
These are some great albums but a lot of them are in no way country albums. Nebraska, country? Anything by the Eagles? And Loretta Lynn is country, but not country-rock.
They did a *lot* of reaching in classifying things country-rock.
Though, I think I completely agree with their top 2.
VAN LEAR ROSE has some rock influence for sure, if only because of Jack White. "Portland Oregon" has solos you would never hear in normal country song.
NEBRASKA has a clear country influence, too, even if it isn't country overall.