Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Dance Songs

I figured it would be nice to see a different type of list. While I don't agree with a lot of the ordering scheme, I can't fault the inclusion of most of these gems.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/features/100greatestdancesongs.asp

Hmmm...

had DJS and other industry people been included in the compiling of the list (like for the Electronic Albums list), it probably would be OK for inclusion at AM- but I think it was just the Slant writers who compiled this (and Slant's not a dance-specific publication).

Bonnie Pointer's "Heaven Must Have Sent You" is a glaring omission! And what about Kelly Marie's "Feels Like I'm in Love?" A lot of good 70s/early 80s stuff would have been welcome, as opposed to things like like "Dirrty."

Re: Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Dance Songs

Yeah- it's far from perfect, but it offers a glimpse at many songs that don't get a lot of critical love, for whatever reason.

I suppose knowing that it isn't eligible should have led me to include it in the non-eligible sticky. Oops!

That VH-1 List...

was compiled with input from DJs/dance people, though, and yet it isn't included in AM. If the Slant Electronic Albums list is eligible (since it was compiled with input from dance/DJ people), then it would make sense for a list such as the VH-1 one to be eligible- or not, what do I know. hehe I'm not sure about the VH1-UK dance 100, and how that was compiled.

Re: Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Dance Songs

SLANT does deal with dance music a lot, though, so we'll have to see if Henrik counts it.

I loved the inclusion of "Dirrty;" if you've been in a club when that comes on, you know what I mean.

I was surprised Everything But The Girl's "Missing" wasn't included, and neither was "Thriller," "Let's Hear It For The Boy," or "Finally."

And is Dee-Lite's "What Is Love" really fast enough to include?

I Can Understand That...

I was out over the weekend, and I did a pretty good, sexy routine to "Check On It." (and that's slower than "Dirrty")