Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doves

Why is Doves so incredibly overlooked? For me, Some Cities is the most remarkable, rich, and beautifully constructed album of 2005. It was released to massive acclaim upon hitting shelves back in February. Critics were already hailing it as album of the year and now it has been forgotten. I don't know what it is, but a lot of these lists from critics are looking rather samey with predictable usual suspects at the top: Sufjan, Antony, The Arcade Fire (HUGELY overappreciated album) I just feel while these artists definitely made excellent albums this year (or last, like The Arcade Fire), critics have this thing about jumping on bandwagons to compete with one another and make themselves look up the par.

Re: Doves

It seems in 2005 the critics have decided they will all go for American acts.

I really dont like the Doves. They guy's voice iritates me.

Yeah, it is an acquired taste, but it has emotional resonance to me. Regardless, if it only had instrumentals, the band would stand above any other act of 2005.

There so much better than Coldplay and Block Party. Last Broadcast was a masterpiece. The songwriting itself has probably helped thousands of suicidal teens.