Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thelonious Monk and Coltrane

I still don't get this. How is the recently released album featuring Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane not the most acclaimed album of 2005. Every single review of it has heaped praise upon praise on it, including calling it a modern classic. Even AMG, the most stingy of star givers (It almost never gives 5 stars to new albums) gave it 5.

Explain this to me.

Re: Thelonious Monk and Coltrane

This is an interesting question in light of the recent inclusion of jazz albums on AM. The Monk/Coltrane album has, in fact, appeared on a couple of EOY lists, notably the one in ROLLING STONE. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to show up on AM too quickly, though; it has the distinct disadvantage of being a new release, whereas the jazz albums that entered the list in the last update tend to appear regularly on all-time lists.

There's no question that the album has received AM-worthy acclaim, though. I've actually been wondering about this one myself since the CD was released.

Yes, this is an interesting question. The album is not far from being included and if you have any end of year lists from jazz magazines (there must be some!?) I think it will make it.

I might buy it, do you think someone who hasnt really listened to jazz before would like it?

I haven't heard this "new" (it is actually an old live recording) album, but I'd say everyone who wants to dig into jazz should start with Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". This is not only the most acclaimed jazz album of all time, but also works as a smooth entry into the field of jazz.