Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albums from "non mainstream" countries - what is the criteria?

Looking through Norwegian acts at Acclaimed Music I can see Motorpsycho's "Timothy's Monster" popping up in the lower regions of the album list.

While they have a worldwide underground audience, Motorpsycho are generally only big in Norway, but I can see that "Timothy's Monster" is also in a couple of German lists. Yet, if it wasn't for its inclusion in lots and lots of Norwegian lists, the album would obviously never had hit the Top 2500. Yet, there are other albums, with absolutely no audience outside Norway, that, from Norwegian lists alone, would probably score even higher than Motorpsycho. And I am sure there are lots of German, Spanish, French etc. acts that are so big in their own countries that alone would be enough to register in the lists.

So what is the criteria here? Does an album have to register in lists from at least two countries at a time to get into the list? And yet, why don't Kent hit the list, considering they are riding high not only in Swedish critics lists, but also in Norwegian and Danish ones? How about numerous Spanish language acts that may enter lists in the entire Spanish speaking world while completely unknown in the rest of the world?

Just interested in hearing your criteria, and how you prevent those albums (that are often not of very huge interest to people from outside their geographic markets) from getting into the list. Plus why Motorpsycho have indeed managed, in spite of hardly registering in any lists at all other than the Norwegian ones.

Re: Albums from "non mainstream" countries - what is the criteria?

It seems to me that Motorpsycho's "Timothy's Monster" has been more acclaimed than all Norwegian albums outside Acclaimed Music. What other albums are you thinking of?

From Germany, you have Fehlfarben's "Monarchie und Alltag" at place 599, based solely on German lists! For some reason, the Spanish critics lists added so far are mostly focused on foreign albums.

Lists from an artists home country/region get a slightly higher weight, but a few positions in end-of-year lists (as for Kent) is not enough.

"It seems to me that Motorpsycho's "Timothy's Monster" has been more acclaimed than all Norwegian albums outside Acclaimed Music. What other albums are you thinking of? "

Mainly Norwegian language ones, that obv. have no appeal outside Norway. The likes of Dum Dum Boys, DeLillos and Jokke & Valentinerne tend to dominate Norwegian lists, but of course not outside Norway.

Dum Dum Boys and DeLillos have been listed, but not enough to make the 2500.

Here in am is all about the list, if every person who are from "non mainstream" countries in this site will send a "best albums" list from a well know magazine in his own country it will be easy to see more non english albums.

Here is Spirit Magazine's list of best Norwegian albums ever, voted by various Norwegian music writers:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/erlend/the_40_best_norwegian_albums_of_all_time__spirit_magazine

Well, this list can't be right. I see 3 Motorpsycho-Albums including Timothy's Monster but without their second masterpiece Blissard. This can't be true. Please check ;-)