The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back in Sweden

Hi All!

I'm now back in Sweden after my holiday in California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. It's probably been my best holiday ever! I visited no less than five national parks (Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion and Joshua Tree). I also went to Monument Valley which was at least as impressive as the national parks, even more fantastic in reality than in the Western films. I have also seen Las Vegas, which definitely has to be seen to be believed, but I didn't find too many things I wanted to do there, except that I saw a Burt Bacharach concert. I was probably the youngest person in the audience!

I also spent some time in Los Angeles and San Francisco. If you go to SF, you have to stay at the Red Victorian Bed, Breakfast & Art, which has 18 rooms each beautifully decorated with a different theme. Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Playground room (http://www.redvic.com/playgroundbig.html). The B&B is located on Haight St, right at the center of the summer of love and flower power in the late 60s. Today this street is still alive and there is an enormous Amoeba record store, formerly a bowling alley.

I have been home for a few days now, mostly emptying boxes with stuff in my new home, but I have also read the threads here in the forum and I am very pleased that you haven't stopped the discussions while I was away (even the Madonna Immaculate Collection thread is alive ).

I will start working on the 2005 update now. The update will probably take place in the end of next week.

Re: Back in Sweden

And thanks to all of you who have posted end of 2005 lists!!

Welcome back, Henrik! Glad to hear your trip was so enjoyable.

It has been a lot of fun exploring all the new titles which the genre update has infused into the lists. Allow me to say it again: Fantastic job, Henrik.

Have you had the chance to plan your strategy for tackling all those "old" lists that still need to be incorporated? Are you planning to do a "quick" update just focusing on getting the 2005 albums up to speed before doing anything with the rest?

Very interested to see how this year's list shakes out in the next update, particularly how closely it matches Stefan's forum list. I assume that LATE REGISTRATION in particular, and probably YOU COULD HAVE IT SO MUCH BETTER, will see their stock rise dramatically. Conversely, THE WOODS will probably take a tumble, although that's mostly owing to the fact that nearly all the EOY lists that have come out so far have been from the UK and Europe and S-K don't have much of a critical fan base outside the U.S.

I expect that ROLLING STONE and SPIN and BLENDER and the rest of the U.S. contingent will publish their EOYs within the next couple of weeks. Onward to Pazz & Jop - which should be interesting this year, as so far I don't see one or two overwhelming favorites like there have been the last couple of years (e.g., COLLEGE DROPOUT last year, SPEAKERBOXXX and ELEPHANT in '03).

Welcome back, Henrik! It's good to hear you enjoyed your holiday so much. I have some jazz lists for you, which I will post shortly. Also please start updating the site with the old lists. Those EOY lists should wait for their turn.

I'm glad you got home safely and enjoyed your time! Utah is awesome- easily my favorite place on Earth. I was lucky enough to study there for graduate school for a few years. I miss it!

Do you think Annie's Anniemal has a shot of cracking the top 2500?

I don't know yet about Annie. You (and I) have to wait and see.

"Anniemal" was in a number of 2004 lists too, at least here in Norway. But I guess they will be calculated into her total anyway.

A Bacharach concert in Vegas... what a fantastically bitchin' cliche . I'm truly jealous of that. TRULY. And if there's been any De Niro or Dean Martin around to smash your right back of the hand... I wish it was mine. Yes, TRULY....
Welcome back to good old Europe, btw. And guess what - it's old as usual, whaddayaknow ... frohe weihnachten...